Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 12, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,771 of 3,060
  I have the IM50... and been enjoying it for a while, (especially for commuting) have 1 compaint though... I get ear fatigue after long hours of listening. I use a Sony MDR MA 100 at home (planning for MA 900 upgrade) and been my choice for long hours session, I'm also liking it's sound more for wider genre of music, but the IM 50 easily trumps it at vocal (one of mmy main focus). from the IM-0x series, which is better for long hours listening , has wide soundstage, and good for acoustic music? or should I be looking for a semi open IEM's instead? I want an IEM that can cover IM50's weakness... listening acoustic music from it sounds a bit unnatural for me...

What causes that ear fatigue, abundant bass or treble? 

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #1,773 of 3,060
If you ask what's causing it... Hmm, might've been the treble, I think... The bass is just about borderline for me, so that might've been a cause too. First time listening is fine, but I just feel: "That's enough" after few hours..... My Sony's MA Sound Signature is the lvl of comfort I'm looking for... The IM50's the one I use when i want to be "active" and "fun" listening... but sometimes I just can't relax when I want to when I'm wearing it.. Changing the tip help a bit, the comply's more comfortable for long hours listening, but just a bother for commuting, and I have another more flexible silicone tips but the sound it makes when I unplug it is from my ears each times is just annoying. .

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,774 of 3,060
Hello. I have long-time problem with using of IM70. (same with IM02, that had before i sold it)

Even when i stand still in transport both of iem's lose isolation (at some point, I hear city background noise) and i should correct their position every 2 minutes. Right is even falls from ear.
This is all VERY annoying...

Tried all stock tips.
I also have Xiaomi Piston that stay in my ears best of all previous i had. No need to touch it within hours...
I tried to use Xiaomi tips on a IM70 - does not fit. Too short i think.
What i need to do? New tips i guess? UE600; UE900; Sony Hybrid; Auvio ?

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,775 of 3,060
Hello. I have long-time problem with using of IM70. (same with IM02, that had before i sold it)

Even when i stand still in transport both of iem's lose isolation (at some point, I hear city background noise) and i should correct their position every 2 minutes. Right is even falls from ear.

Tried all stock tips.

I also have Xiaomi Piston that stay in my ears best of all previous i had. No need to touch it within hours...

Its difficult to access your problem, but i think you should try Comply or other foam tips. They will stay put. Are these tips slipping out or just cant isolate properly?

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #1,776 of 3,060

Tried all stock tips.

I think it is more of a size problem. The tips that you are using might be too small or big. Yes, Pistons tips are awful for IM50/70 since they are too soft. UE600 tips have 5 different sizes and has the best fit for me. Good luck!

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,778 of 3,060
  The quality seems good. I'm worried that I could pull the cable out of the ends that connect to the IEMs though since they click in even tighter.

Yeah, I read in your earlier post that the connectors may have been stuck in the sockets. Did you manage to pull them apart?

Anyway, nice to hear that the quality on the cables are good. Unless a better one shows up on Lunashops, I'll probably be buying them over the weekend.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,779 of 3,060

Yeah, I read in your earlier post that the connectors may have been stuck in the sockets. Did you manage to pull them apart?

Anyway, nice to hear that the quality on the cables are good. Unless a better one shows up on Lunashops, I'll probably be buying them over the weekend.

Yeah I finally managed to pull them apart. Since they don't work well with my Moto X, I'll hang onto them until I get a new phone (which should be soon). The stock cable does other weird things with my phone though (pause/play when spinning (which happens more often since it's L-shaped), causing the phone to ask for voice commands) but I'm blaming my phone for the most part.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #1,781 of 3,060

silicone ear tips do not isolate as well as comply tips.

I'm using Sony Hybrid at the moment, it is very much better than the stock silicone tips.

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #1,782 of 3,060

I'm using Sony Hybrid at the moment, it is very much better than the stock silicone tips.

True that comply tips isolate more, also more comfy....but the downfall will be the sound attenuating. Bass and some highs will be filtered out a bit. Best way is to use anything silicone so that air inside your ear canals does not leak out, or absorbed by the foam tips. BA drivers only move airs inside the canals, so it is very important. Make sure you feel that pressure upon your eardrums when insert the buds, and leave it there.

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #1,783 of 3,060
True that comply tips isolate more, also more comfy....but the downfall will be the sound attenuating. Bass and some highs will be filtered out a bit. Best way is to use anything silicone so that air inside your ear canals does not leak out, or absorbed by the foam tips. BA drivers only move airs inside the canals, so it is very important. Make sure you feel that pressure upon your eardrums when insert the buds, and leave it there.

We are dealing with Isolation here, I too at times find a few silicone tips not isolating enough. Here i wont care if i lose some Quality, if its annoying, I will lose the silicone ones. I think he should try the foamy tips and write back.

Those hybrids with foam inside are just awesome.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,784 of 3,060
Wow.....my ghost....if the IM04 does have this addictive 3rd dimensional depth field of sound....:wink:. It also is excellent in a way of being BA units with natural tones, balanced, high level of details, and no sibilances produced. Audio Technica was excellent at tunning these BA drivers to achieve said sound quality while retaining the nature of brighter tones, clarity and faster responds from BA drivers.

Im04 is very balanced, clear, Balanced Amature tonality natural, also is very accurate on the bass beats, accuracy on the impacts and power of the beats, very nice decay and timing......as nice, smooth, detailed as that you can totally sit back and allows the transitions of notes, channels, impacts to take you into that 3rd dimension. :wink:

I will try to write an indepth impressions and review later. But I hope you all already know what I am talking about :D.

Excellent ! Sound quality wise to me is A must have if you are a fan of ATH, balanced sound, details, accuracy, soundstage, and mostly Balanced Amature units.

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #1,785 of 3,060
Hey I have a question, I'm looking for a pure silver cable for my IM50 on LunaShop and I do not know which one to get. I do not need a mic and volume control. I wouldn't mind the cable being black or clear. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back