Review of Audio-GD DAC-19MK3
Jan 3, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #466 of 695
Regal, i CANNOT wait for your impressions as i am very tempted by the 3SE myself!

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #467 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regal, i CANNOT wait for your impressions as i am very tempted by the 3SE myself!

He, I see you are really hooked up Vlach...
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #468 of 695
Yes, thanks to you for pushing me in the Audio-GD direction
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #469 of 695
Finally went and picked up my baby from the post office today!! i guess that kingwa has gotten all the complaints of build quality that ive read about in the past taken care of, because this thing is one sexy piece of kit. Everything lines up and matches perfectly. the only downer is that i dont have any way of listening to it currently
frown.gif
at least not till i get the pico slim, because the headphone amp ive been using is my HT receiver, and i use it as a combined dac/amp. It does have 5.1 analog inputs, but im not sure if they go through a a/d conversion and then back again, because unlike most 5.1 inputs my receiver does do bass management on them. so i dont know if thats done in the analog realm, but i assume its not and that the analog ins go through two digital conversions. But one upside is that i can get the thing completely burned in in the next month while i wait for the pico slim to come out
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #470 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally went and picked up my baby from the post office today!! i guess that kingwa has gotten all the complaints of build quality that ive read about in the past taken care of, because this thing is one sexy piece of kit. Everything lines up and matches perfectly. the only downer is that i dont have any way of listening to it currently
frown.gif
at least not till i get the pico slim, because the headphone amp ive been using is my HT receiver, and i use it as a combined dac/amp. It does have 5.1 analog inputs, but im not sure if they go through a a/d conversion and then back again, because unlike most 5.1 inputs my receiver does do bass management on them. so i dont know if thats done in the analog realm, but i assume its not and that the analog ins go through two digital conversions. But one upside is that i can get the thing completely burned in in the next month while i wait for the pico slim to come out
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats on your delivery SoupRKnowva!
One bit of advice, you should plug in your dac and turn it on to start the burn-in process even if you are not listening to it.
Many people have found out it takes 400 hours+ to fully burn-in the unit. So this way, your waiting period can be a little bit useful
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #471 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your delivery SoupRKnowva!
One bit of advice, you should plug in your dac and turn it on to start the burn-in process even if you are not listening to it.
Many people have found out it takes 400 hours+ to fully burn-in the unit. So this way, your waiting period can be a little bit useful
smily_headphones1.gif

oh i will be, ive got it plugged into the 5.1 analog inputs on my receiver, and im starting to think that it does do the bass management in the analog realm, cuase i can hear a difference between using that and then the optical run straight from my computer to the receiver. but regardless ive got my blu ray player plugged in via coax itll be running almost constantly till my pico slim gets here
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #472 of 695
I can't find DAC19Mk3 from Audio GD site anymore. There was some talk earlier that it will come back any time soon? Any confirmation on this?

IMO it's dumb to renew the line-up as often as Audio GD does.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #473 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find DAC19Mk3 from Audio GD site anymore. There was some talk earlier that it will come back any time soon? Any confirmation on this?

i believe its because he ran out of the receiver chips, the pmd100 and the DF(dont remember the numbers), so he couldnt physically build it anymore, till he found a new source. At least thats how i understand it.

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #474 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When parts availability decide what can be offered and what can't be choice has nothing to do with keeping something that clearly is popular in the line up...on the bright side this will spur Kingwa to design a possible replacement that may be even better.

Both the PMD100 and the DF1704 are difficult to source. Current lead time for the DF1704 is 21 weeks+ and that is for large US orders (lots of 1K plus). The PMD100 is out of production and limited in supply with that supply diminishing as time goes by...what most are using these days are pulls as NOS has been exhausted long ago.

I wish PMD's parent company would commission a new production run of the chip but I doubt that will ever happen since it was a very expensive chip to produce to begin with. That in mind I hope TI keeps producing the equally expensive PCM1704UK.....so far so good.

Peete.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #475 of 695
Here is the news on the discontinued 19MKIII direct from Kingwa himself.

We have not anymore to sale DAC19MK3, because the PMD100 out of stock and we still can't find these chips.
FUN can't compare to DAC19MK3, they are different level.
We will offer a new DAC19 around 15th.
Kingwa

Should be interesting!

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #477 of 695
I saw some PMD100s on ebay. Those interested could probably buy them and send to Kingwa for producing DAC19MKIII.

Having listened to the 19MK3 for the past month; I am satisfied with it. I used to listen to a popular bang-for-buck CDP of above $1.5K. I prefer the DAC19MK3. The sound is non-fatigue, analog, with sense of space, and unassuming.

btw, why the number "19" for the name of the DAC? Anyone any idea?

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #478 of 695
I asked if the new DAC19MK3 would be different when it returned, Kingwa answered:

The New DAC19 is slight than DAC19MK3.
We have not PMD100 anymore, so we design the new DAC19 can support to our DSP1 and DF1704.
If owners can find PMD100 chip themselves, we can offer the modules board for users install.
New DAC19 will available around 15th.
We are doing the last test.
Kingwa

I don't know how good their DSP1 is, but the cheapest DAC it's available on now is $935. Kingwa says it beats DF1704 and PMD100 as well

Practically, through some experiment, although we could perceive the sound quality difference between differently priced and level of CD transports (as an audiophile, you just can’t just follow pure theory, but you must also venture the practical side too), but final result shows that using entry level CD transport or hypermarket grade DVD player, the improvement of sound quality is huge compared to typical digital processor chip like PMD-100, DF1704 etc.

Damn... this or the Chameleon?

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #480 of 695
This will be interesting! Very excited to see it. Might have to pass on the uDAC I just ordered to Dad.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back