Review of Audio-GD DAC-19MK3
Dec 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #421 of 695
Looking at a-gd site it seems that it is no longer being sold - running the Chinese DAC list page thru google translate it is under "Have to stop selling the products". I'm just curious - was demand too high and they ran out of some critical parts?

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #422 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really..it would probably be about half the cost of a ref1 with all those goodies simply cause it needs only half the components of a REf1. This would be strictly SE. The DACs would be in differential mode to minimize distorion and noise to a minimum. WE would then need a differential to SE receiver to convert the signal back to SE.
Two ways to do this would be output transformers or a differential receiver, either discrete SS or opamp based would do.

THe other main advantages i think would be the VCXO, dual PLL and async USB input. That would make this a killer DAC.
Use a Wolfson receiver chip for the digital signal and perhaps have an I2S input as well...

Putting a VCXO and dual PLL would be a great addition. While I think that Audio-gd dacs offer great value for the money, they all seem to lack proper reclocking which make them sensitive to the transport quality.
I have always found curious that even in their flagship DAC, the Ref-1, there is no mention for a high quality quality clock. It seems that the design solely rely on the DSP for dealing with jitter.
The same thing apply for the dac-19mk3. The only clock that was visible to me when I opened it was the one used by the usb input.
The dac-19mk3 sounds great as it is but I cannot stop wondering how it would sound with proper reclocking inside the dac.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #423 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at a-gd site it seems that it is no longer being sold - running the Chinese DAC list page thru google translate it is under "Have to stop selling the products". I'm just curious - was demand too high and they ran out of some critical parts?

I found this on audio-gd website : "The USB chips PCM2707 out of stock and difficult to order from TI, the last 100 units Compass for sale."
Since, the dac-19mk3 uses the same pcm2707 chip than the compass, my guess is that they would have the same problem with the dac19mk3.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #424 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Putting a VCXO and dual PLL would be a great addition. While I think that Audio-gd dacs offer great value for the money, they all seem to lack proper reclocking which make them sensitive to the transport quality.
I have always found curious that even in their flagship DAC, the Ref-1, there is no mention for a high quality quality clock. It seems that the design solely rely on the DSP for dealing with jitter.
The same thing apply for the dac-19mk3. The only clock that was visible to me when I opened it was the one used by the usb input.
The dac-19mk3 sounds great as it is but I cannot stop wondering how it would sound with proper reclocking inside the dac.

You'll have to ask Kingwa to explain how the DSP works, as I don't understand it, but I thought the set-up of the DSP took care of clock issues. It's really a pity about the DAC19, but I'm sure he'll find some or other solution instead.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #425 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll have to ask Kingwa to explain how the DSP works, as I don't understand it, but I thought the set-up of the DSP took care of clock issues. It's really a pity about the DAC19, but I'm sure he'll find some or other solution instead.

I have to admit that I don't fully understand the how DSP1 works, however, I looked at the datasheet of the Altera Cyclone II (see here), and it seems that the dsp is not "jitter-free" (page 127 for instance). Also, if the DSP1 took care entirely of clock issues, you shouldn't be able to hear differences between tranpsorts (Mac vs. Ref-3). When looking at the dsp3 on the Ref-3 on the other hand there seems to be a clock on the board ...

While there is a lot more going on the DSP1 (oversampling, ...) or in any other digital filter (df1704, pmd100) for that matter, I find it weird that most high end DACs rely on a separte high accuracy clock and that audio-gd doest not. This makes their DACs very transport dependant. This reminds me about what Dan Lavry said in the usb to spdid shoot out thread : a DAC with superior (re)clocking used with a poor transport will outperform a DAC with average (re)clocking used with a high quality transport.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #427 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just sent an email to Kingwa asking him if the dac-19mk3 is discontinued and if he plans to make a newer version. I will report back when I get an answer from him.

I had the same instinct.

This was his response:

"The DAC19MK3 less PMD100 and DF1704, we want to ask agent when can give us these chips."

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #428 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same instinct.

This was his response:

"The DAC19MK3 less PMD100 and DF1704, we want to ask agent when can give us these chips."

Thanks for the info, you beat me into it
icon10.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #429 of 695
The DAC 19Mk3 has been removed from Audio GD Page !!!!!!!!

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #432 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also gone from the pricelist.

I can still see DAC19Mk3 on the products page but not on the price list. I'm disappointed if he already discontinued it. It only means that there will be a replacement with minor upgrades which can't be resisted and you have to order one.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #433 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulioCat2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC 19Mk3 has been removed from Audio GD Page !!!!!!!!

Nope still there!
Looking to possibly purchase one. Did their prices increase?
Do they still honor the 5% discount - not listed on their page anymore?

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #434 of 695
That gives me a reason to get the Ref1
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #435 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope still there!
Looking to possibly purchase one. Did their prices increase?
Do they still honor the 5% discount - not listed on their page anymore?

What discount?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back