Review of Audio-GD DAC-19MK3
Sep 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #121 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did some A/B comparisons between the two usb to spdif converters Musiland 01 usd and the TeraLink-X usb to spdif and I found that I slightly prefer the TeraLink-X. The latter seems to have slightly sweeter and more extended highs and better transparency.

Howvever, the funny thing is that I hear more differences when I switch between digital cables.
The best BNC digital cable I found is the 18ft. Belden cable from Blue Jeans which is cheap but performs very well. Compared to the other cables, it has a huge and believable soundstage. The depth in the soundfield is also one of its strengths.
For now, I let the TeraLink-X burn-in and I will do more A/B comparisons in a few days to see if burn-in improves or not the sound quality of the TeraLink-X.

Anyway I think the TeraLink-X sounds so good because it uses audiophile grade components (1ppm clock, Oscon capacitors, ...). I wish that someone offers a mod to the Musiland Monitor USD 01 because I think that with the help of better grade capacitors/power supplies, a higher quality clock, and a true 75ohm bnc output, it could be a giant killer usb to spdif converter.
Maybe the guys at Pacific Valve can offer something like that ?
beyersmile.png

Does the Teralink-X do 24/96 via USB and does it require software like the Musiland?

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #122 of 695
does the teralink have asio drivers or do 24/192 what are its specs? ebay site left that out.

couldnt you just gut some of the teralink parts to put into the musiland?

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #124 of 695
Quick question: This DAC has two single-ended outputs but I don't see any way to switch between the outputs. Are both just slways active, and might it have any effect to have both hooked up but only one being used?

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #125 of 695
Both are always active (if what they're connected to is completing the circuit / "on"). It does indeed seem to degrade the quality a bit when both are running at the same time. I haven't really tested, but there's a difference.

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #126 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really get your question but you can find a lot of info about computer psu's here.

Computer Audio Asylum - cMP - the open source high-end Memory Player - cics - December 30, 2007 at 05:42:01

Do a text search for "psu" in that page.

Thanks for the link. I've just been looking into this and from what I've gathered 'ripple' is the important PSU parameter for analogue sound performance. The Antec Earthwatts you mention indeed has excellent ripple characteristics. Surprisingly better than the popular Corsair VX450W, which is supposed to be basically the same PSU but with 'better' electrolytic capacitors.

But from what I've gathered from this thread any computer PSU will be 'switching' one and have limited ability for hi-fi applications. There they talk about (DIY) linear power supplies. Also see Switched-mode power supply - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #127 of 695
I know dac19mk3 (especially mode A) is sensitive to transport, but I'm not going to go so far as to get a custom psu for the computer. An entry-level power conditioner and $50 psu and good software and a few windows optimization is all I'd do with my current setup. If I was really out to get the most out of everything I might pay someone to make the psu, I would blow up my computer if I did it myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #128 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, so you guys are finding the Mode B board to be as good or better than the A? Is the different sound worth $50 to check it out?

In my opinion the difference is well worth the additional usd30 + shipping price. However, keep in mind that you have to burn mode B at least for 100 hours if you are making a comparison to a fully burnt-in mode A unit.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #129 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Teralink-X do 24/96 via USB and does it require software like the Musiland?

Unfortunately, the Teralink-X is limited to 16/44 and 16/48 as far as I kwow. It uses a generic usb chip called cmedia CM108 wich is not as advanced as the Musiland asychronous chip. I feel confident that a slightly modded Musiland 01 USD (better clock and capacitors) will outperform the Teralink-X.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #130 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question: This DAC has two single-ended outputs but I don't see any way to switch between the outputs. Are both just slways active, and might it have any effect to have both hooked up but only one being used?

Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both are always active (if what they're connected to is completing the circuit / "on"). It does indeed seem to degrade the quality a bit when both are running at the same time. I haven't really tested, but there's a difference.

As somestranger26 noticed, connecting both ouputs degrades a little bit the sound quality.
Also the outputs on the inside seem slightly better than those on outside but is a very minor difference, but nothing like changing sources for example.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #131 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As somestranger26 noticed, connecting both ouputs degrades a little bit the sound quality.
Also the outputs on the inside seem slightly better than those on outside but is a very minor difference, but nothing like changing sources for example.

I haven't noticed a difference between the different outputs, but I connect the inside ones to my amp just "to be safe" since it has a sliiiightly shorter signal path if you look at the internals.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #132 of 695
very nice, I just hope they make an audiophile version of the monitor 01 with just more refinement to slay any competition completely.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #133 of 695
I have uploaded a picture of my system for those who might be interested.

I spent much time lately adjusting/tweaking my system through using different support platforms, and I have settled on putting sandboxes on a relatively cheap rack.
This works wonders as I noticed that both the dac-19mk3 and the C2C headamp are very sensitive to the plateform on which they are laying. The platform seems to affect mainly resolution, size of soundstage, and also tonal balance.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #134 of 695
here is a m2tech converter that looks way better than the musiland but cant find it for sale anywhere yet.

M2tech - homepage

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #135 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here is a m2tech converter that looks way better than the musiland but cant find it for sale anywhere yet.

M2tech - homepage

Hmmmm this one looks very very interesting! Im willing to buy this asap lol... Seeing as i want to see what the difference is between USB and coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back