Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Sep 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #106 of 1,550
Again, I have to play Devil's Advocate - we run the risk of going from people who work off 'Wow - that sounds good !' to the worst kind of gear queer - obsessed with every conceivable measurement, lying awake at night wondering if the slightest fluctuation in a frequency curve could ruin our entire experience ...... its a tightrope : the trick is to avoid turning it into a noose, IMO.

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #107 of 1,550

Quote:
Again, I have to play Devil's Advocate - we run the risk of going from people who work off 'Wow - that sounds good !' to the worst kind of gear queer - obsessed with every conceivable measurement, lying awake at night wondering if the slightest fluctuation in a frequency curve could ruin our entire experience ...... its a tightrope : the trick is to avoid turning it into a noose, IMO.

You could be right, but that would have nothing to do with objectivity.
If you pull objectivity to the extreme you only get more pragmatic. Audible thresholds can be measured and used objectively.
So your DAC's got 1ns of jitter and is 1dB down at 20k? Obviously this isn't state of the art equipment, but at the same time, who's going to notice?

What you are envisaging is just another kind of subjectivism: an unreasonable obsession with the insignificant.

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #109 of 1,550
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #111 of 1,550

Quote:
Thank god!

Hold on, I think I have my EQ set 0.2dB too high at 16kHz and it's causing phase shift. BRB.

You should see someone in Sound Science immediately ! Most of those guys are seeing a doctor and they'll be able to prescribe something.  :evil:

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #117 of 1,550
I think there are several (thats anywhere from 3 to 300 worldwide ..) people waiting to see if MrSlim or another DiYer offers to build more amps for sale. FWIR, its *not* the case that anyone with a soldering iron and the ability to read a circuit diagram can put this amp together - it will be interesting to see how many of the DiYers actually end up with a running amp. As always, very happy to be proved wrong. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #118 of 1,550
Quote:
I think there are several (thats anywhere from 3 to 300 worldwide ..) people waiting to see if MrSlim or another DiYer offers to build more amps for sale. FWIR, its *not* the case that anyone with a soldering iron and the ability to read a circuit diagram can put this amp together - it will be interesting to see how many of the DiYers actually end up with a running amp. As always, very happy to be proved wrong. 

You don't even have to be able to read a circuit diagram to put this amp together. Match the component and designation from the BOM, and place it where the silkscreen says. There is nothing to adjust/configure, so as long as the parts aren't junk, and everything is in the right spot, the amp will work.

I haven't been keeping up with the project at all, but have there been people having trouble putting this thing together? I would be very surprised if that's the case, considering the overwhelming support for this project from the designer and his followers.

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #119 of 1,550
For those of you who missed out on O2 amps from MrSlim, my friend is selling several on DiyAudio. (He already has most boards soldered... now waiting on enclosures)
If there's more interest, he might make some more.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/198536-fs-o2-headphone-amp-assembled-boards.html

As far as my own review - 

I'm currently using HD580s (with HD600 grills). My source is a modified Zero DAC.
I love this little amp so far. Such a tiny package can pack a huge punch.
The clarity seems limitless , with great dynamic range. Works great at any listening level.

I mostly use the wall adapter for power, as my setup is located on my desktop.
My Zero amp has too high of an output (2V RMS) and may cause clipping with the O2 on battery power.
Those of you who intend to have a desktop setup may want to be aware of this possible issue.

Oct 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #120 of 1,550
Quote:
I mostly use the wall adapter for power, as my setup is located on my desktop.
My Zero amp has too high of an output (2V RMS) and may cause clipping with the O2 on battery power.
Those of you who intend to have a desktop setup may want to be aware of this possible issue.

2Vrms is standard. The O2 isn't normally meant to be used with a standard DAC on battery, but can be with the right gain settings. What gain settings are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back