Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Sep 23, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #91 of 1,550
In general, one of the big benefits of 3rd party testing, in addition to independent verification, is that the 3rd party may have a different idea of what parameters are important, which tests to run, and so on. If hypothetically some product were designed to meet design specs A, B, and C, the designer may primarily test A, B, and C, find good results for those, and declare success. But maybe metric D sucks?

S While I admit to being a subjectivist (I'll drink the tube amp Kool-Aid no matter how much distortion nwavguy tells me they produce), surely there's room for both listener emotion and objective measurement in audio ?

Well yeah of course. You don't have to be a subjectivist to like the sound of different tube amps, anyhow. Whatever sound you prefer is a personal preference.

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #92 of 1,550
This looks interesting.  My mini3 really couldn't drive my AKG701's, not that I travel with them.  But if this thing compares favorably with the amp section of the DAC1, as the creator indicates, then woo-hoo, I'm in!!

Now I just have to figure out how to order it, or the pcb, or...?  

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #93 of 1,550

Quote:
Well yeah of course. You don't have to be a subjectivist to like the sound of different tube amps, anyhow. Whatever sound you prefer is a personal preference.

I'm not going to quote from nwavguy's blog, for obvious reasons, but he has some strong views on the distortion introduced by tubes. I'm sure there are ways around it, but I expect that they add to the cost of the finished product - I'll leave it to the tube gurus to discuss at their leisure - all I'm saying is that I can live with the possibility that what one hears from a tube amp may not be 100% 'accurate' - the Objective2 was designed to be accurate above all else, at least based on my reading of his manifesto  :wink:

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #95 of 1,550
Interesting thread.  I do find the lack of numbers for amps suspicious... and annoying!  Are there actually any manufactures of integrateds (for example) that do actually provide detailed specs?

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #96 of 1,550

Quote:
Interesting thread.  I do find the lack of numbers for amps suspicious... and annoying!  Are there actually any manufactures of integrateds (for example) that do actually provide detailed specs?

I'm not aware of any that provide the kind of measurements nwavguy has with the Objective2 (happy to hear otherwise), but something along the lines of the spec Justin provides for his portable amps would suffice for me:

Specification
Maximum Continuous Power output:
60 mWrms/channel into 32 ohm @ nominal (3.6V) battery voltage;
10 mWrms/channel into 300 ohm load @ nominal battery voltage;
16 mWrms/channel into 300 ohm load @ fully charged (4.2V) battery voltage;
28 mWrms/channel into 300 ohm load with 5.2V USB power supply;
Distortion (THD): <0.005% @ 1KHz (-20dBu to 5dBu output level)[1];
Dynamic range (dBA): >100dB
Bandwidth (-1dB): 10Hz-40kHz
Output impedance: < 1 ohm [2]
Output current limit: ~= +/-80mA per channel
Maximum Gain (REV A): 12dB;
Maximum Gain (REV B): 10dB/6dB (based on jumper setting);
Battery recharge time (max): 2.5 hour fast charge; 6 hour normal charge;
Dimensions (approx): height=23mm; width=52mm; length=85mm
Weight = 125g +/-1g

http://www.justaudio.co.uk/uha-120.html 

The key figure for me is Output Impedance, but it doesnt tell the entire story with this amp. Early versions with the Vishay P11 pot had too much gain for many IEMs, but Justin was very graceful about it and I think many of those folk were accommodated, either via a mod or the second revision of the amp. That sort of attention to customer needs is what separates the good from the mediocre in audio, IMO.

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #97 of 1,550
Quote:
I'm not aware of any that provide the kind of measurements nwavguy has with the Objective2 (happy to hear otherwise), but something along the lines of the spec Justin provides for his portable amps would suffice for me:

I agree. Output into various loads, output impedance, frequency response (preferably with low variation), and THD should be the bare minimum.

So many amps lack measured output impedance, and especially with portable amps it is very important.

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #98 of 1,550
You guys,

I must say that was a good read indeed and I am now curious. I tried to find this MySlim guy on ABI and on DIY Audio but could not locate him. Could anyone tell me where I could order this from within the USA? I want to compare it to my other amps.

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #99 of 1,550
Quote:
You guys,

I must say that was a good read indeed and I am now curious. I tried to find this MySlim guy on ABI and on DIY Audio but could not locate him. Could anyone tell me where I could order this from within the USA? I want to compare it to my other amps.

It's MrSlim.

He's not offering the service anymore, because the group buy is over. He might offer it again in the future.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #100 of 1,550
Any word on a potential next-group buy?

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #101 of 1,550

Quote:
I agree. Output into various loads, output impedance, frequency response (preferably with low variation), and THD should be the bare minimum.

So many amps lack measured output impedance, and especially with portable amps it is very important.

Also slew rate?

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #102 of 1,550
Quote:
Also slew rate?

Sure, why not? Are there really any amps with bad enough slew rates to impact performance, but otherwise have good specs? The impression I got from NwAvGuy's posts about the O2 is that modern opamps themselves don't have a problem with slew rates, but no doubt it depends on the design of the amp.

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #103 of 1,550
Too bad then. Know of any place else in the USA the makes these or sells the kits for them?

Quote:

It's MrSlim.

He's not offering the service anymore, because the group buy is over. He might offer it again in the future.

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #104 of 1,550
Too bad then. Know of any place else in the USA the makes these or sells the kits for them?

Maybe Ollie1324 has some spare boards.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/194708-o2-headphone-amplifier-gb-85.html

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #105 of 1,550

Quote:
Sure, why not? Are there really any amps with bad enough slew rates to impact performance, but otherwise have good specs? The impression I got from NwAvGuy's posts about the O2 is that modern opamps themselves don't have a problem with slew rates, but no doubt it depends on the design of the amp.

I have no idea... .but yeah I guess that is the point :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back