Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Oct 23, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #123 of 1,550
I think my friend's selling them with power supplies, so if you are going portable you may need to buy batteries.
I'm not sure about the RCA input, as the enclosure doesn't have the necessary drilled holes. You would need some sort of custom back panel.
For now, I 'm using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter cable and have had no problems.

Quote:
Does it comes with power supply?
So I need to get a chargeable 9V battery?
Is it possible to put a RCA input?

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #124 of 1,550

Quote:
You don't even have to be able to read a circuit diagram to put this amp together. Match the component and designation from the BOM, and place it where the silkscreen says. There is nothing to adjust/configure, so as long as the parts aren't junk, and everything is in the right spot, the amp will work.

I haven't been keeping up with the project at all, but have there been people having trouble putting this thing together? I would be very surprised if that's the case, considering the overwhelming support for this project from the designer and his followers.

Thanks for the clarification - I was working off some of the comments nwavguy made earlier in the project, but clearly I was off-beam. Look forward to hearing more impressions. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #125 of 1,550
As someone who has put one together that is awaiting testing, it really isn't hard - if board polarity markings aren't enough NwAvGuy has advice on everything from the type of solder to use, the kind of soldering iron and how to drill the front panel - there's a reason the article is so long. Only real problem is the MOSFETS, which are liable to die if you touch the pins.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #126 of 1,550
Since i live in the UK i have preordered an O2 from Epiphany Acoustics. They took my deposit earlier this week. Should take a few weeks for it to arrive.

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #127 of 1,550

Quote:
Since i live in the UK i have preordered an O2 from Epiphany Acoustics. They took my deposit earlier this week. Should take a few weeks for it to arrive.

Thanks for that, wiggy - I'm hoping mine will be here before Xmas Day. Short of Fiio and some of the CMOYs, I dont know too many commercial amp makers who can deliver a portable amp for under 200 AUD.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #133 of 1,550

There is most definitely soldering involved.
Quote:
Please confirm that there is absolutely no soldering required - that doesnt gel with my initial understanding of what was required.

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #134 of 1,550
There is a guy on DIYAudio flogging fully populated boards if you don't feel up to it. Then all you need is a front panel, case and a screwdriver!

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #135 of 1,550
Epiphany Acoustics in the UK are taking preorders for their first batch of O2 amps now. £100 plus shipping, fully built with a properly finished/labelled casing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back