REVIEW: Nuforce NE-7M iPhone IEM vs Denon C700 and Klipsch Image X10 (NE-8 Impressions Added 1/15/09)
Feb 9, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #481 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by InspireD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi NE-7 owners,

My pair of J2's just broke and I was looking at these Nuforce's to take their place as an iem to take with me while I'm out and about. While I have no question that their sound quality will be significantly better, I did have some questions regarding their build quality. Unfortunately, this thread is too large to navigate for single answers. And most of the comments are regarding their sound.

So would the ne-7's work fine as a work out iem? Has anyone had problems with their build quality? Obviously I will treat them with a lot of care, but should I have any concerns if I'm bringing them around with me and using them everyday?

Oh, and just to make sure: the larger plug due to the mic will work fine with a non-mic compatible device right? I will use these with a First Gen iPod touch. And while the controls won't work, it should fit fine?

Looking forward to some answers... Thanks guys

I've only had mine for a day so far, so I can't comment on build quality (though compared to the J2s they seem to be of much better build quality).

I can tell you that they do work with a non-mic device. Right now I'm listening to them (as well as for about 9 hours earlier today) using my Sansa c240 without any problems.

Also a suggestion: if you find that you either need more tips for them (or if one or both of the tips doesn't fit your ears right - their tips didn't fit in my left ear properly and started to become uncomfortable after about an hour of use) the J2 tips fit perfectly on them. I just swapped mine out about 30 minutes ago
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #483 of 854
My NE-7M impressions so far:
The overall build quality is pretty good. The strain relief at the mini-jack is a little bit too stiff. I've managed to a good seal with stock tips by looping wires around ears. The wires do not tangle.
The sound is very warm, less detailed than Image x10, but with ample bass. Bottomline: a perfect beater for a headbanger like me.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #484 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My NE-7M impressions so far:
The overall build quality is pretty good. The strain relief at the mini-jack is a little bit too stiff. I've managed to a good seal with stock tips by looping wires around ears. The wires do not tangle.
The sound is very warm, less detailed than Image x10, but with ample bass. Bottomline: a perfect beater for a headbanger like me.

I completely agree and I've had to return my NE-7M because the stress relief was so stiff that it broke into two pieces and I lost sound in the right channel.

I got a replacement, but the stress relief is the same and I have to take great care not to let it break this time.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #486 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the NE-7M's typically worn? Are they just like ibuds that just dangle down or do they require some behind the ear tricks like the UE Super.fi's do?

the ne-7m is worn straight down, like most "earbuds". the Ne-8 is worn over the ear.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #488 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the NE-7M's typically worn? Are they just like ibuds that just dangle down or do they require some behind the ear tricks like the UE Super.fi's do?

I'm currently wearing then looped over ears.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #489 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently wearing then looped over ears.

Same here as I always do with earphones

1) Minimal microphonics that way.
2) Swings around less = less chance of it being abused build quality wise.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #490 of 854
Maybe it's just the shape of my ears, but when I've tried looping mine, the sound quality suffers. My 7m's sound best when inserted at a slight forward/upward angle. By contrast, when looped, the cable tension makes them want to angle down a bit down and towards the back.

As far as microphonics go, I have found that there is a pretty significant improvement (akin to looping) if you use the slider on the cord and draw it up toward your chin.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #491 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by joincoolkidclub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but I can't seem to find any information on the nuforce versus the Yuin PK3. Anyone have both and care to compare? Thanks!

Owned both, sold the 7. To me, the PK3 has it all over the NuForce phone for $11 less. That is, if you can live with an ear bud. Many people can't. The PK3 is balanced, with just the right amount of everything, not top and bottom heavy, which I found the 7 to be personally. I just love the PK3 sound sig, and as some others have noted (montell is one), the PK3 is maybe the most underrated portable phone out there. Both phones, FYI, required some burn in. But if you can live with buds, the PK3s are a great value. And amped, they sound even better.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #492 of 854
tstarn06,
You actually just responded to the same question on the PK3 appreciation thread.
I'm currently debating between the two in terms of SQ (yuin wins) vs convenience (Nuforce wins, as I'm using an iPhone as my source and would love to answer calls without grabbing my phone and unplugging the buds- IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK??!).
Any other thoughts greatly appreciated!
NICK

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #493 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Owned both, sold the 7. To me, the PK3 has it all over the NuForce phone for $11 less. That is, if you can live with an ear bud. Many people can't. The PK3 is balanced, with just the right amount of everything, not top and bottom heavy, which I found the 7 to be personally. I just love the PK3 sound sig, and as some others have noted (montell is one), the PK3 is maybe the most underrated portable phone out there. Both phones, FYI, required some burn in. But if you can live with buds, the PK3s are a great value. And amped, they sound even better.

You forget, some of us bought the NE-7M specifically for our iPhone and for isolation. Otherwise I'd be using the iPhone stock buds.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #494 of 854
To joincoolkidclub... why post it in two places then? I understand that you are looking for some advice. You could have started a new thread, NuForce 7 vs. PK3. See my response on the other thread. No, that isn't too much to ask, but why are you shouting?

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #495 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You forget, some of us bought the NE-7M specifically for our iPhone and for isolation. Otherwise I'd be using the iPhone stock buds.

Sounds good, but if you are going on a road trip and the 7s conk out (like mine did in terms of the mic button going haywire), then you are basically screwed. I'd rather have the option of picking up a Griffin SmartTalk or something at a local store on the road, then trying to get my phones replaced. Also, he didn't mention that isolation was an issue in his post here. If you read his post, he just asked someone to compare the two, right? And that's what I did. In other thread (the PK3 thread), he mentions the iPhone connection and how he wants to use these on a long road trip. Hence, my advice to think about what he'd do if they go out on him. He'll have no quality phones, only the iBuds. See my point?

You'd be using the stock iPhone buds? What about the PFE you bought?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back