REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
May 21, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #316 of 835
Anyone's tried Concerto with RS1? I was a Cantate.2 user but I think Jan doesn't like how the Grados sound....

May 21, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #317 of 835

Quote:
Has the price come down recently?

If you pay in Euro...yeah
wink.gif

BTW I just pulled the trigger today...YAY!!
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #320 of 835

Yesterday I spend all evening listening to the Concerto with the T1 and HD800. I had a friend come over with his HD800 and we switched between T1 and HD800 all night. The Concerto is more than capable of driving both headphones and show their potential - and they both show the potential of the Concerto too. We both had several WOW-experiences each with music we have heard many times before. I am more and more pleased with the Concerto the more I listen to it and it havn't even reached the 100 hour mark yet. No matter which headphone I plug in - SR325i , HD650 or Etymotic ER-4S it performs greatly. 

I do think though, after a few hours of listening to HD800 and T1 on the Concerto, that the HD800 has a slightly better synergy with the Concerto than the T1. The Concerto is a BIT to the warmer side. Maybe the bright, open and airy sound of HD800 is given a touch of warmth and body from the Concerto which I really liked. With the T1 you can almost feel and smell the vocalist on some vocal recordings. In direct comparison to the HD800 the sound of the T1 does not leave much "space to breathe" in the music - if you know what I mean. There is so much texture and body which is great but for some recordings the space and air in the HD800 surpasses the T1. Saying this please know that I have always been a SR325-lover and lusted for metallic pynchy in-your-face sounding headphones and that might be the reason I like the HD800 better in general. 

@audio-hunter: Regarding the HD650 on the Concerto: I really like the combination. The HD650 is tamed and tight on the Concerto. I think the HD650 sounded more open and light when playing form the Concerto. The bass gets hard and punchy - and DEEP. The very high detail and resolution level from the Concerto suits the HD650 VERY well and you can really hear that the HD650 still IS a great headphone when it is playing in combination with the right amplifier. 

May 27, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #321 of 835

Quote:

Yesterday I spend all evening listening to the Concerto with the T1 and HD800. I had a friend come over with his HD800 and we switched between T1 and HD800 all night. The Concerto is more than capable of driving both headphones and show their potential - and they both show the potential of the Concerto too. We both had several WOW-experiences each with music we have heard many times before. I am more and more pleased with the Concerto the more I listen to it and it havn't even reached the 100 hour mark yet. No matter which headphone I plug in - SR325i , HD650 or Etymotic ER-4S it performs greatly. 

Excellent!  Glad to note someone else reporting the Concerto is up to the task of top-tier headphones, which I very much agree with.

May 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #322 of 835

Quote:

I do think though, after a few hours of listening to HD800 and T1 on the Concerto, that the HD800 has a slightly better synergy with the Concerto than the T1. The Concerto is a BIT to the warmer side. Maybe the bright, open and airy sound of HD800 is given a touch of warmth and body from the Concerto which I really liked. With the T1 you can almost feel and smell the vocalist on some vocal recordings. In direct comparison to the HD800 the sound of the T1 does not leave much "space to breathe" in the music - if you know what I mean. There is so much texture and body which is great but for some recordings the space and air in the HD800 surpasses the T1. Saying this please know that I have always been a SR325-lover and lusted for metallic pynchy in-your-face sounding headphones and that might be the reason I like the HD800 better in general. 

@audio-hunter: Regarding the HD650 on the Concerto: I really like the combination. The HD650 is tamed and tight on the Concerto. I think the HD650 sounded more open and light when playing form the Concerto. The bass gets hard and punchy - and DEEP. The very high detail and resolution level from the Concerto suits the HD650 VERY well and you can really hear that the HD650 still IS a great headphone when it is playing in combination with the right amplifier. 

I don't know if I agree with the Concerto being "warm" sounding, I agree with all your other statements. While I don't own the HD 800 or T1, the "best" I probably have is the D7000, and they are quite a different headphone when amped by the concerto, obviously for the better. The Concerto makes every headphone I have absolutely sing, some to lengths I didn't think could be achieved like in the case of the HD 600... just didn't think it could sound so good. 

Bass control is really superb, and imaging is very precise... combine that with any good headphone and you have a match made in heaven :p

I wonder what I would have thought of my 325i if I had heard them on the concerto.

May 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #323 of 835

Quote:
I don't know if I agree with the Concerto being "warm" sounding, I agree with all your other statements. 

I agree too 
regular_smile .gif
 I did not mean it was warm sounding. But I would not categorize it as being bright either. So I still think it is a BIT to the warmer side. 

Quote:

I wonder what I would have thought of my 325i if I had heard them on the concerto.

I think the SR325's become more RS-1-ish on the Concerto. The Concerto takes a little bit of the edgy brightness away from the 325's and drags them over - in the direction - of the more mellow and softer side of the road. But the detail level and crispness of the SR325 gets even better from the Concerto. I do not think Jan Meier designed the Concerto for Grados though(just guessing). But I can only imagine that all Grados would play better in every way from the Concertos Buffer capacity of 85.000 uF.

May 28, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #324 of 835

Quote:

thanks rasmushorn, I guess now I have been able to determine my choice :D

May 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #325 of 835
anyone tried the d7000 on concerto?

May 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #326 of 835

Quote:
anyone tried the d7000 on concerto?

Yes sir!

D7000 and the concerto were made for one another. Bass goes super low with crazy control, everything else gets much better imaged and defined... really great combo.

The D7000 need a ton of current and the concerto supplies plenty. They really step up their game with an amp like the concerto IMO.

May 29, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #327 of 835
just wondering if it would be a worth while upgrade from my solo srg!?!?

May 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #329 of 835
Meier Concerto or Lehmann Black Cube Linear for my HD800?
Which one would  you choose ?

I love the stepped volume of Concerto but can't stop thinking that Lehmann could be better overall.
confused.gif

May 30, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #330 of 835

Quote:
Meier Concerto or Lehmann Black Cube Linear for my HD800?
Which one would  you choose ?

I love the stepped volume of Concerto but can't stop thinking that Lehmann could be better overall.
confused.gif

The Lehman Black Cube is so last year! I have heard it is still  using one of those silly ALPS volume pot...
wink_face.gif

I haven't heard the Lehman but I am sure it deserves its reputation, all I can say is that  the Concerto (listening to it right now) is hard to fault. Can you get better sounding amp? Not sure. Maybe. Don't care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back