REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
May 9, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #301 of 835

Quote:
I will play with the K501 and 701's  tomorrow.  I am betting the 701s will be awesome on this amp.

You should declare your allegiance prior to your impressions though, so the amount of salt can be adjusted :wink:.

Are you a Crazy, a skeptic, or a hater?

+   ) Crazy would be the K70X are the best headphone in the world, end of story. Other headphones simply don't exist and if they do they are obviously a waste of money.
+/- ) Skeptic would be you enjoy the K70X but have not (yet) heard god speak to you personally through their transducers (because they can do that, you know -they are that good), but disappointments aside, they are stil al very good headphone. 
-    ) Hater would be you are not a fan of the K70X, it is not neutral and off in certain spectrums -possibly plasticky, and you think people who go nuts over them are crazy/deluded.

May 10, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #302 of 835

Quote:
Any Concerto owners thinking about going for a StageDac after their experience?

I am thinking I might just go for it. I have nothing but faith and good experiences with Jan's work. He keeps my wallet pretty happy too... and I am desperately in need of a new source.

The Stagedac is definitely on the card for me. Somehow I feel my STX  is holding back the potential of the Concerto. I was planning to get the W1000x at the end of the month and the Stagedac the month after but considering getting the DAC first. I think this amp really deserve a nice detailed source. I am also considering the DAC19 DSP but Jan's discount is hard to pass. Jan Meier kindly maintains his discount offer if you buy both within a  6 month period.

May 10, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #303 of 835
LOL, I just like the K701's.  they have their good and bad points... but I think for what you pay for them they are quite worth the money.  Not perfect, but just damn good.
Quote:
You should declare your allegiance prior to your impressions though, so the amount of salt can be adjusted :wink:.

Are you a Crazy, a skeptic, or a hater?

+   ) Crazy would be the K70X are the best headphone in the world, end of story. Other headphones simply don't exist and if they do they are obviously a waste of money.
+/- ) Skeptic would be you enjoy the K70X but have not (yet) heard god speak to you personally through their transducers (because they can do that, you know -they are that good), but disappointments aside, they are stil al very good headphone. 
-    ) Hater would be you are not a fan of the K70X, it is not neutral and off in certain spectrums -possibly plasticky, and you think people who go nuts over them are crazy/deluded.

May 10, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #304 of 835

Quote:

The Stagedac is definitely on the card for me. Somehow I feel my STX  is holding back the potential of the Concerto. I was planning to get the W1000x at the end of the month and the Stagedac the month after but considering getting the DAC first. I think this amp really deserve a nice detailed source. I am also considering the DAC19 DSP but Jan's discount is hard to pass. Jan Meier kindly maintains his discount offer if you buy both within a  6 month period.

Those are my exact thoughts -The concerto sounds amazing as is in need of a great source to truly shine. Although, on the flip side, it was so much of an upgrade I might actually wait to upgrade my source until I can get something absolutely epic, like a Audio GD Ref 7.

I am glad more people are jumping on the W1000X boat... it is a very nice boat :wink:.

The pricing is definitely attractive.

I have the STX too and for whatever reason the RCA outs have noise coming from my PSU and graphics card and the on-board amp really doesn't cut it. I think it is because I have overclocked it so much, but troubleshooting has gotten on my nerves and I have given up. I am hoping I could at least use the spdif out of the STX to use my computer as a server, but I have no idea if there will be interfereance there too.

May 12, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #305 of 835
Good to see this thread is quiet with so many new owners.

Like silence at a dinner table, this surely means people are focusing on enjoying instead of blabbering away!

Congrats on a great purchase everyone!

Out of curiosity though, how many people use the crossfeed filter? I never bought the amp with that feature as a deal breaker/maker but I don't tend to use it much. I am wondering if it is the way I hear or my music. The best results I have had are with songs that have heavy stereo separation, but from what I have read this is to be expected. Other than that it has minimal or no in its impact on the sound to my ears. I grew up on Headphones though, so I am very accustomed to the channel isolation and separation.

To anyone considering a purchase, I don't feel feel the varying effectiveness of crossfeed makes the amps value lower in any way (which is already sky high :D btw ), but I would not use it as a decisive factor. I feel it should be viewed as a courtesy more than anything. Some people will use it more than others, but the money and value is still in the amps design, parts, and above all it's sound. If you like crossfeed, the feature it is just over and above what the concerto already represents IMO. If you don't like it or don't use it, it doesn't really change anything.

May 13, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #307 of 835

Quote:
Like silence at a dinner table, this surely means people are focusing on enjoying instead of blabbering away!

Out of curiosity though, how many people use the crossfeed filter? I never bought the amp with that feature as a deal breaker/maker but I don't tend to use it much. I am wondering if it is the way I hear or my music. The best results I have had are with songs that have heavy stereo separation, but from what I have read this is to be expected. Other than that it has minimal or no in its impact on the sound to my ears. I grew up on Headphones though, so I am very accustomed to the channel isolation and separation.

Silence - yes. Like the background in the sound from the Concerto.

I use cross feed on older recordings and for long listening sessions it makes listening easier for the "calculator". I think it is a great feature.

May 14, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #309 of 835

Quote:
I like crosfeed so I leave mine on all the time.  But I have noticed that with this amp the crossfeed is really not that noticeable on most recordings.

I also leave mine on all the time.

Quote:
sokolov91 said:

Good to see this thread is quiet with so many new owners.

This is so true.

May 14, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #310 of 835
Like the simplicity of concerto and hew balanced volume implementation . How does concerto sound on low listening levels with 'phones that are harder to load like k702/1 or k601 ?

May 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #311 of 835
Might be a good time to grab a Concerto, due to the recent drop of Euro.. Anyone?
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 18, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #312 of 835

Don't have the AKG 70X anymore but it drives the HD 600 nice and evenly at all volumes. The discreet volume is great in that it sounds balanced in every sense of the word at all volumes.
Quote:
Like the simplicity of concerto and hew balanced volume implementation . How does concerto sound on low listening levels with 'phones that are harder to load like k702/1 or k601 ?

May 19, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #314 of 835

Quote:
Don't have the AKG 70X anymore but it drives the HD 600 nice and evenly at all volumes. The discreet volume is great in that it sounds balanced in every sense of the word at all volumes.

Thanks , think that detailed 'phones sound very good at low volume and hope that other will follow great example of meier audio and put a little more time into volume pot development.

May 19, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #315 of 835

I agree. I don't think I will ever get another amp that uses a potentiometer... All discreet or stepped attenuators from now on! Its not worth sinking tons of money into an amp to have something like a pot be a bottleneck.
Quote:
Thanks , think that detailed 'phones sound very good at low volume and hope that other will follow great example of meier audio and put a little more time into volume pot development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back