REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
May 5, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #286 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that you've finally got your amp I'll be looking forward to your comparison between the D7000 and W1000X =)

Haha I am in finals for college right now! As soon as I can I promise!

May 6, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #287 of 835
I played with the new amp some more last night.  I have to say it really does like the HD-650 cans.  For me the 650's have always been very good but not "great" sounding on my tube amps no matter how much tube rolling I tried.  The Concerto for me seems to open up the soundstage and bring more direct  detail to the mids and gives the bass a little more impact.  Now I feel the need to keep the HD-650's.

So far, the HD-595 120's do sound the best on this little amp tho.   But they also sound incredible on the PPX3 with proper 6SN7 tubes.

Tonight I will play with the DT 880's and the D2000 cans.  Maybe get some time with the K701's

May 6, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #289 of 835
@thebasso - Any visits to Seattle in the upcoming months?  I may have a pair of LCD-2's that would like to get driven by your Concerto in a week or two.  :)

Kidding...mostly.  Next amp purchase is almost definitely on hold now until October/November.  >.<

May 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #292 of 835

Quote:
Do well, buddy, because I want to hear a GCHA v Concerto comparisons too :p 

Haha I saw one on sale and I was waiting SO LONG for my Concerto I actually bought it used. I definitely will do! Unless of course reason kicks in and I sell it.

Quote:
I played with the new amp some more last night.  I have to say it really does like the HD-650 cans.  For me the 650's have always been very good but not "great" sounding on my tube amps no matter how much tube rolling I tried.  The Concerto for me seems to open up the soundstage and bring more direct  detail to the mids and gives the bass a little more impact.  Now I feel the need to keep the HD-650's.

So far, the HD-595 120's do sound the best on this little amp tho.   But they also sound incredible on the PPX3 with proper 6SN7 tubes.

Tonight I will play with the DT 880's and the D2000 cans.  Maybe get some time with the K701's

I have found the exact same thing with my HD 600, they REALLY like the concerto. I had posted this in another thread, but I didn't believe all this talk of the HD600 needed a killer amp... now I do. It's almost a different headphone...

Quote:
Too much to read.. Does the 797 opamps sugar the sound? I know the HR2 uses highly regarded opamps, but they were not my cup of tea..

Haven't heard the HR2 but it sounds extremely clear and transparent to me!

May 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #293 of 835
I recieved the Concerto 4 days ago. After the first 30 seconds with my SR325 I knew this was the best spend money on Head-fi gear I have spend so far. Today I have had some time with the T1's and once again I am blown away by the clarity and depth. This is pure listening pleasure all the way for both the Grados and the T1. 

I was looking for a great amplifier for my T1. The Audio GD COMPASS and Harmony Design Ear 90 - two mid priced amplifiers I heard at a meet lately were close competitors but I ended up with the Concerto - and I do not regret at all. Both the Audio GD Fun and the Harmony Design were great with T1. The Audio GD was musical and offered the built-in DAC at a great price. The Harmony Design was VERY analytical and neutral. With the Concerto it is like I get both in one amplifier. I love listening to all my favorite music all over again - absolutely fantastic!

The best thing is that it is so small. I thought it was bigger. My LISA III went on sale because I can bring the Concerto with me to the caravan if I like. Great job Jan Meier - I am grateful I ended up with the Concerto.

EDIT: It was not an Audio GD FUN - it was Audio GD COMPASS I tried at the meet!!!

May 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #294 of 835
Say, could you give a few comments comparing the Concerto and the EAR90? I've heard the EAR90 and of course it's good, but I won't get the chance to hear them side by side (sold by different shops) so any impressions you can give will be greatly valued. 

Quote:
I was looking for a great amplifier for my T1. The Audio GD Fun and Harmony Design Ear 90 - two mid priced amplifiers I heard at a meet lately were close competitors but I ended up with the Concerto - and I do not regret at all. Both the Audio GD Fun and the Harmony Design were great with T1. The Audio GD was musical and offered the built-in DAC at a great price. The Harmony Design was VERY analytical and neutral. With the Concerto it is like I get both in one amplifier. I love listening to all my favorite music all over again - absolutely fantastic!

May 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #295 of 835

Quote:
Say, could you give a few comments comparing the Concerto and the EAR90? I've heard the EAR90 and of course it's good, but I won't get the chance to hear them side by side (sold by different shops) so any impressions you can give will be greatly valued. 

When I heard the T1 on the Harmony Design it was the first time I heard how good the T1 could be. I was very impressed by how tight everything sounded. I am not sure I describe it the right way but the Harmony is one of the "cleanest" sounding amplifiers I have heard. No grain, no texture - it simply just does not add anything to the music - just plain, clean, neutral and great sounding. For sure a very good amplifier! This was with the T1. With SR325 it was not the best match here it became a tad more boring sounding where I think it took away some of the Grados edge - some might like that better? 
regular_smile .gif

This is based on impressions from 2 months ago - and I have not heard the Harmony Design since. I only know I was impressed by it. But I am even more impressed by the Concerto. It might be a better allrounder than the Harmony Design??? - I really like what it does. I like that it is a bit on the bright side. It suits both the T1 and the SR325 and the Low/High Gain is perfect for switching between SR325 and T1. It has only been playing 10 hours so far. So if it gets better after the first 100 hours I am very satisfied with the Concerto 
bigsmile_face.gif

I know this is not very deeply described - but I hope you can use it somehow?

May 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #296 of 835

Quote:

If I may add one more note. One thing we (we were a few people listening to the Harmony Design) were impressed with was how the HarmonyDesign/T1 combo rendered male voices - alive, natural and crisp. A few tracks by Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan really made us really love and praise that combination. I have just - as I am writing this - placed a few Cash and Dylan pieces in the CD tray - and the Concerto/T1 combination leaves NOTHING behind. 

Two things I like better on the Concerto than the Harmony Design is - cross feed, it sounds great on old recordings and the headphone plug is on the FRONT.

May 9, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #297 of 835
Any Concerto owners thinking about going for a StageDac after their experience?

I am thinking I might just go for it. I have nothing but faith and good experiences with Jan's work. He keeps my wallet pretty happy too... and I am desperately in need of a new source.

May 9, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #298 of 835
The 650's are great balanced.. Since the Concerto uses a balanced circuitry design to emulate the balanced sound, this is probably the reason they sound better.. & the Concerto being a excellent SS headphone amp..

Quote:

May 9, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #299 of 835

Quote:
The 650's are great balanced.. Since the Concerto uses a balanced circuitry design to emulate the balanced sound, this is probably the reason they sound better.. & the Concerto being a excellent SS headphone amp..

Like I said before I have always heard that "you simply have not heard what the HD 6X0 is capable of until you have a gazzillion dollar amp and source and cables from mars" and though it was total crap. But my HD 600 are definitely a totally different beast now than they were before. 

Had I upgraded my amp before I went out and bout all kinds of headphone I wonder if I would have simply stuck with the HD 600 and dropped all my money on my source and amp and music.

While the amp didn't make it my best headphone it is still pronounced enough to have made me reconsider buying other headphones.

I wonder if I ever get to listen to a pair of K70X with my new set up I will be forced to admit the K70X crazies were right?! At this point I really hope not, but if I do have to I guess in reality it only makes me a winner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back