REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
Jun 20, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #346 of 835
I bet the Edition 8 will mate well with the Concerto!
I received my StageDAC + Concerto days ago but I don't have my Ed8 with me at this moment. I can share my impressions next week.

Quote:
Yes, StageDAC is "special".

Anyway, back in the subject - what would be the answer to question: best closed headphones to Concerto/StageDAC combo (rock music)?

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #347 of 835
I ordered a Concerto from Meier Germany 10 days ago but the DHL site still shows that it has not yet arrived in the US. How long does it take for the Concerto to arrive from Germany to the US? Any experiences other than when the volcano was erupting:)?

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #348 of 835
Most likely means it is being held by customs, as it most certainly is in the US at this point. If it is in customs though, it is not technically in the country and it will say it is still abroad.

If it is customs, could be up to two weeks for the idiots to decide if it is a terrorist item or not.

Best of luck.

Quote:
I ordered a Concerto from Meier Germany 10 days ago but the DHL site still shows that it has not yet arrived in the US. How long does it take for the Concerto to arrive from Germany to the US? Any experiences other than when the volcano was erupting:)?

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #349 of 835

Quote:

It only took ten days total for mine. Has to be customs.

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #351 of 835
I have a Meier concerto. I am using a Musical Fidelity V DAC. It seems to do the job but have to ask myself if I am hindering myself in any way. The V DAC cost $300.

Should I just make the jump to the Stage dac? Will it really make that much of a difference?

Any thoughts?

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #352 of 835

Quote:
I have a Meier concerto. I am using a Musical Fidelity V DAC. It seems to do the job but have to ask myself if I am hindering myself in any way. The V DAC cost $300.

Should I just make the jump to the Stage dac? Will it really make that much of a difference?

Any thoughts?

I am considering the StageDac too - but I am also tempted by trying the V-Dac or the Cambridge DacMagic. So if anyone has any thoughts??? 

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #353 of 835
Haven't heard the V-DAC but I think it's on the warm side while the StageDAC is neutral and perhaps a tad more resolving.

What's good about the StageDAC is its wide array of options you can play with: crossfeed, digital filter etc..

The StageDAC is a good match for the Concerto for sure
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #354 of 835
I am waiting on the new DAC from emotiva to come out before I make a decision. I don't need any of the features the stagedac offers, and I would want something more robust than the Vdac so I could use it with video game consoles as well as my PC and CDP.

Jans work is simply great, but the pricetag is just too much for what I would get out of it. No use for the preamp, only one optical and a crossfeed filter I would never use. So, as great as I am sure it is, I am playing for a lot of features I don't need.

I am thinking about getting an Oppo BDP-83SE too, but I could only use it for (SA)CDs ... I have not yet found anything that offers the level of performance and versatility I want, at a reasonable price.

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #355 of 835
You can get a discount off the regular price within 6 months after your Concerto purchase

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #356 of 835
The DAC market right now is too dynamic anyways, lots of new players (Arcam, Emotiva etc...) and a lot of excitement over mass market USB 24/96 async devices. Of course, the later part doesn't matter if you've been using coax this whole time.

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #357 of 835

Quote:
You can get a discount off the regular price within 6 months after your Concerto purchase

I was actually making my statements based on the discounted price. Jan is great to offer the price, and I just might go for it, but for now it is still a serious chunk of money, and if something cheaper and more versatile comes out, I will most likely go for that.
Quote:
The DAC market right now is too dynamic anyways, lots of new players (Arcam, Emotiva etc...) and a lot of excitement over mass market USB 24/96 async devices. Of course, the later part doesn't matter if you've been using coax this whole time.

I agree and am currently waiting on the specs and reviews of the upcomming emotiva DAC.

Something like a DacMagic with a discreet output for 299.99 chip is AD 1955 or whatever it is. Does balanced too.. but not fully I don't think.

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #359 of 835
I got the Concerto (and the StageDAC) about a month ago and I've been thoroughly enjoying the combo since then. It works great with all my phones (see my sig.)

Good job Dr. Meier!
k701smile.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #360 of 835

Quote:
I got the Concerto (and the StageDAC) about a month ago and I've been thoroughly enjoying the combo since then. It works great with all my phones (see my sig.)

Good job Dr. Meier!
k701smile.gif

I have had the concerto for a few months now and I still smile to myself every time I turn it on. Sounds phenomenal with everything, and I am starting to like the crossfeed filter a lot.

Now if only I could find a source to make my mind up on! My concerto really deserves one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back