[REVIEW] MEElectronics M-DUO: The Treasured IEMs Under $100
Sep 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #108 of 196
  I wish I'd read this and replied sooner. For whatever reason this sometimes happens with this IEM. Meelec was gracious about replacing them, but if it sounds like the left earbud is constantly venting air, it shouldn't, and it should be replaced. I've read a few reviews where people say that this particular IEM isn't really all that isolating. They are if they don't have this problem. TBH, it's the only thing that would keep me from recommending them to others. Even the first replacement pair I got from Meelec starting doing it after a few of hours. Knock on wood, I finally have a pair that isolates correctly. The point is, if you hear air leaking in you left earbud, and if you reverse them and it's still doing it in your right ear (and sealed correctly in your left), it isn't a fitting problem. 

I can confirm this, my first pair had the exact same problem.  Meelec replaced them promptly and the new ones work fine, but it leaves me wondering if the first batch of these IEMs were prone to this issue.

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #109 of 196
For those interested, the M-Duos are on sale at Amazon for $39.99 for Cyber Monday.

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Driver-Enhanced-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00D4MPZLK

Hoping these are as good as you all say. I am looking to replace my Klipsch S4a with these. Has anyone compared these to S4a's?

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #110 of 196
  For those interested, the M-Duos are on sale at Amazon for $39.99 for Cyber Monday.

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Driver-Enhanced-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00D4MPZLK

Hoping these are as good as you all say. I am looking to replace my Klipsch S4a with these. Has anyone compared these to S4a's?

I own both the S4 and the M-Duo and the Duo comes out ahead in just about every category.  M-Duo has better clarity to my ears and retains plenty of bass impact.  The Duo is still a little bit sibilant up top but overall the treble still sounds better than the S4's.  The build quality is also better for the most part, with a sturdier plug and a more durable cable.  The only real concern of mine is the one I stated in a few posts up - my initial pair(a few others have reported this too) had a damaged driver.  Sound from the L piece always sounded as if there wasn't much of a seal no matter what tips I used.  I sent them off to Meelec and they gave me a new, defect-free pair at no charge, but it's still something to look out for.  Hopefully it was only a few cases in the first batch that suffered from that peculiar problem

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #113 of 196
Also, I cannot open either of them and try to see which one I like better. Have to pick one. Which one would you guys choose?

Sorry for the late response. In terms of the S1 Vs the M-DUO, I'd go for the M-DUO, if you are into energetic treble and bombastic, yet controlled and accurate bass. Otherwise, if you're into clean and full vocals, the S1 is for you. The clarity on the S1 could be pretty close to the M-DUO, but of course I am basing this strictly on reviews.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #114 of 196
Just got mine from Best Buy today. They had it on sale on bestbuy.com for $39.99, and I also had a $10 gift certificate for being a registered Best Buy purchaser or something. In the end, tax included came out to around $33 which isn't bad.

The "15 minutes in" impression:
The sound signature is a bit rough around the edges, I think. The bass is strong and punchy and is unlike both my other primary in-ears (Sennheiser IE80 and Westone UM3X RC) so this is a departure from what I'm used to. Going to do some more burn-in/listening the rest of the day and see what comes of it. It is a noticeable step up from the Meelec M6 and M9 that I also own. The bass is closer to the M9 than the M6 without becoming overbearing. Sound stage and imaging are very apparent. Back to listening, I go!

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #115 of 196
Quick update after two days:
The sound has matured quite a bit. Mine did take some burn-in before it got to where it is now. It has become a great all-rounder that not only handles classical but can go straight to rap right after without skipping a beat (harhar). The woofer is tuned to only turn on when it's needed, and that is just amazing. It's a bass-head in-ear if you want it to be and a sophisticated dynamic in-ear if you need it to be. Money well spent, I say.

Also, this is TONS better sounding than the Klipsch S4 that I had earlier this year.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #116 of 196
Quick update after two days:
The sound has matured quite a bit. Mine did take some burn-in before it got to where it is now. It has become a great all-rounder that not only handles classical but can go straight to rap right after without skipping a beat (harhar). The woofer is tuned to only turn on when it's needed, and that is just amazing. It's a bass-head in-ear if you want it to be and a sophisticated dynamic in-ear if you need it to be. Money well spent, I say.

Also, this is TONS better sounding than the Klipsch S4 that I had earlier this year.

I'm glad you are enjoying the M-DUO. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #119 of 196
How is it compared to Brainwavz R1? The build is pretty strong than R1's cheapo plastic shell....

not sure yet as i just ordered them yesterday, but couldnt pass up the deal (needing a good pair of budget iems). read a bunch of reviews, including this thread so decided to try a pair. the deal is only offered until the 28th though.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #120 of 196
No worries....meelec iems makes no disappontments for their price tags and the included accessories. I have M6 & M9P and both serves my purpose well to compare between my collection of iems. And m-duo will be no exemption imo either. Moreover meelec have their different style of iems and headphones for different customer needs and budgets. So you will be glad when you use m-duo that you made a wise investment of $40...:D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back