Review: Jkeny’s modified Hiface
Jul 16, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #196 of 431

Quote:
JKenny do you know if m2tech is planning Integer Mode Capable Drivers for OSX ???

I already have your excellent MK2, integer mode will make me switch to mk3

I don't think John posts on HF anymore, you're better off emailing him directly with questions. As for what M2Tech is planning, I'm not sure he would know anything we don't, you might just want to try M2Tech directly.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #197 of 431

Quote:
The MK3 is the best transport I've ever heard. You won't be disappointed.

I'm certainly looking forward to hearing it.

I know from your previous post that you've owned the previous two versions.  When you used them did you use the attenuators as recommended by jkeny?  Have you tried attenuators with the MK3?  If so what values did you use?

I know you've not had a good listen to it yet but it would be interesting to know if they make a difference as if a perceivable difference is there I may get JK to send one when he processes the order.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #198 of 431
Would one of our more financially successful members buy and try that USB/I2S dac of his? I am dying to have an experienced member give it a run. Convert USB to I2S once and deliver it directly to the input of the DAC seems to be the most direct route so should sound as good as possible from a conversion standpoint.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #199 of 431

Quote:
I'm certainly looking forward to hearing it.

I know from your previous post that you've owned the previous two versions.  When you used them did you use the attenuators as recommended by jkeny?  Have you tried attenuators with the MK3?  If so what values did you use?

I know you've not had a good listen to it yet but it would be interesting to know if they make a difference as if a perceivable difference is there I may get JK to send one when he processes the order.

I used the 10, 15, and 20dB attenuators with the MK1. They improved the sound in some ways (tighter, more focused) but not in others (drier, a bit thinner) with my previous DAC, the Buffalo32s. I generally found that the attenuators are DAC-dependent, but in most cases improve the sound overall. I didn't try them with the MK2 or MK3. However, John told me that he's heard some benefit from using a 20dB attenuator on the MK3. YMMV.

BTW, I don't feel the need to use attenuators with the MK3. It sounds perfect the way it is (which I can't say for any other transport before it).

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #201 of 431
Yo, Shahrose, anytime soon we'll hear about those awesome Mk3 JKenny mod Hifaces more in-depth? 
biggrin.gif

JB

Quote:
I used the 10, 15, and 20dB attenuators with the MK1. They improved the sound in some ways (tighter, more focused) but not in others (drier, a bit thinner) with my previous DAC, the Buffalo32s. I generally found that the attenuators are DAC-dependent, but in most cases improve the sound overall. I didn't try them with the MK2 or MK3. However, John told me that he's heard some benefit from using a 20dB attenuator on the MK3. YMMV.

BTW, I don't feel the need to use attenuators with the MK3. It sounds perfect the way it is (which I can't say for any other transport before it).

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #203 of 431

Quote:
Yo, Shahrose, anytime soon we'll hear about those awesome Mk3 JKenny mod Hifaces more in-depth? 
biggrin.gif

JB

Hi JB. I wrote this to John last week, I'll just copy and paste it here:

Hey John. I just got back from my trip to the States last night. Got to listen to it some more today...nothing has changed, I'm still impressed. What you want in a converter is not to be able to discern a sound signature. It should be entirely transparent and let the DAC shine...which is what the MK3 does. The MK1 was a bit soft and slow, the MK2 was somewhat dry and closed in comparison, the MK3 is none of that. It's fast, detailed, revealing, very open, noiseless/black, delicate and all this without a hint of harshness. Some of the greatest areas of improvement over the other transports are the tight bass and grain-free, smooth, detailed, extended treble. The best top-end I've heard in my system.

I can't find any flaws with the MK3. I can't give it any higher praise because up till now, that has happened with only a handful of the best equipment I've owned.

I also like the fact that the build is more professional and the jacks are finally all at the back in one place. Makes wiring neater and more convenient.

Just as a reference, I've owned the y2 DAC/converter, Musiland 02US (3 of them), MK1, MK2, MK3 and stock HiFace, both Asus Essence ST and STX, Teralink-X2 (twice) with linear regulated PSU + aftermarket silver USB cable. I've also used several integrated motherboard SPDIF outputs. The MK3 is hands down the best out of these, and they're all better than straight USB. If people are still using the USB input with their high-end DAC, they're really missing out on the potential of their source. The difference is profound.

My setup is as follows (all cables in between are Downsize's flagships):

Foobar (KS) > jkeny MK3 HiFace > Highly Modded EE MiniMax DAC > Gilmore Dynahi + PSU >
-Sennheiser HD800 + DHC UPOCC 7N Silver Cable
-HiFiMAN HE-500
-beyerdynamic T1
-Sennheiser HD650 + DHC Molecule Copper Cable
-Yuin PK1 + Zheng Young Cable

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #204 of 431

Quote:

I don't think John posts on HF anymore, you're better off emailing him directly with questions. As for what M2Tech is planning, I'm not sure he would know anything we don't, you might just want to try M2Tech directly.

This is what M2Tech respond to my question about integer mode capable drivers for Mac OSX:

[size=medium]"Hi, we are considering about the design of the driver.[/size]

[size=medium]Best regards"[/size]

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #205 of 431
very interesting.

I too am curious if the version 3 usb > bnc > dac would be best or if the usb > i2s > i2s on dac would be best as there is less conversion before it hits the amp. 
Decisions decisions.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #206 of 431
Yep I think their response when asked if they would be releasing Linux drivers about 18 months ago.  And still no Linux drivers.  Gotta love their laid back Italian ways.

Quote:
This is what M2Tech respond to my question about integer mode capable drivers for Mac OSX:

[size=medium]"Hi, we are considering about the design of the driver.[/size]

[size=medium]Best regards"[/size]

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #207 of 431
Nice! I'm happy to hear you like yours so much! Now... I gotta scrape the cash for this, and wait for the USD to improve a bit more. 
frown.gif
 (since JK accepts euros)

JB

Quote:

Hi JB. I wrote this to John last week, I'll just copy and paste it here:

Hey John. I just got back from my trip to the States last night. Got to listen to it some more today...nothing has changed, I'm still impressed. What you want in a converter is not to be able to discern a sound signature. It should be entirely transparent and let the DAC shine...which is what the MK3 does. The MK1 was a bit soft and slow, the MK2 was somewhat dry and closed in comparison, the MK3 is none of that. It's fast, detailed, revealing, very open, noiseless/black, delicate and all this without a hint of harshness. Some of the greatest areas of improvement over the other transports are the tight bass and grain-free, smooth, detailed, extended treble. The best top-end I've heard in my system.

I can't find any flaws with the MK3. I can't give it any higher praise because up till now, that has happened with only a handful of the best equipment I've owned.

I also like the fact that the build is more professional and the jacks are finally all at the back in one place. Makes wiring neater and more convenient.

Just as a reference, I've owned the y2 DAC/converter, Musiland 02US (3 of them), MK1, MK2, MK3 and stock HiFace, both Asus Essence ST and STX, Teralink-X2 (twice) with linear regulated PSU + aftermarket silver USB cable. I've also used several integrated motherboard SPDIF outputs. The MK3 is hands down the best out of these, and they're all better than straight USB. If people are still using the USB input with their high-end DAC, they're really missing out on the potential of their source. The difference is profound.

My setup is as follows (all cables in between are Downsize's flagships):

Foobar (KS) > jkeny MK3 HiFace > Highly Modded EE MiniMax DAC > Gilmore Dynahi + PSU >
-Sennheiser HD800 + DHC UPOCC 7N Silver Cable
-HiFiMAN HE-500
-beyerdynamic T1
-Sennheiser HD650 + DHC Molecule Copper Cable
-Yuin PK1 + Zheng Young Cable

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #208 of 431
I've just changed my order from a MK3 to a JKDAC after reading a fairly glowing review.  I think for the extra 180 Euros it will be worth it as I felt my Beresford DAC would not do it justice.  If there isn't a big enough difference between this and the Beresford then I'll send it back and get John to send me a MK3 instead.

I didn't realise previously that the JKDAC could be used as a headphone amp and still maintain bit perfect conversion with software volume control.  To be honest I'd prefer to control the volume via software (so long as there isn't a compromise in SQ).  As I do not require multiple inputs offered by other DACs this makes sense for me.  I realise it will not be an option for others if the DAC is to be used to convert sources other than PC.

If it works out this could be a very high quality DAC and Headamp for 500 Euros.  It's portable too.  Fingers crossed it will be as good as it looks on paper.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #209 of 431
Just picked up a used Mk2 from the classifieds (well paid for, it should arrive in a week or so)... curious to see what this will do for my fairly unconventional setup, which currently is as follows:

320kbps streaming from MOG -> toslink -> Theta TLC -> coax -> Ack Dack 2 -> DNA Sonett -> Ultrasone Edition 8s.

Sure the streaming only is sacrilege to a degree, but my tastes are fairly commercial compared to a typical audiophile... so most anything I want is a click away, and the cost/convenience is just too great.  I'm very happy with the sound as it is, just curious to see what can be done to kick it up a notch.  I'm committed to the Ed8s but the next steps might be a Havana or Metrum Octave (I'm R2R all the way) and would love to try out a WA6SE.   Further down the road if the jkeny DI provides a profound improvement compared to the TLC, then I'll likely get the MK3 (or whatever the latest hotness is by that time :)

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #210 of 431
I've just changed my order from a MK3 to a JKDAC after reading a fairly glowing review.  I think for the extra 180 Euros it will be worth it as I felt my Beresford DAC would not do it justice.  If there isn't a big enough difference between this and the Beresford then I'll send it back and get John to send me a MK3 instead.

I didn't realise previously that the JKDAC could be used as a headphone amp and still maintain bit perfect conversion with software volume control.  To be honest I'd prefer to control the volume via software (so long as there isn't a compromise in SQ).  As I do not require multiple inputs offered by other DACs this makes sense for me.  I realise it will not be an option for others if the DAC is to be used to convert sources other than PC.

If it works out this could be a very high quality DAC and Headamp for 500 Euros.  It's portable too.  Fingers crossed it will be as good as it looks on paper.

I look forward to your experiences. Should sound top rate, just wonder what output implementation he uses. Do you have a link for the DAC review?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back