Review: Jkeny’s modified Hiface
Jun 8, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #138 of 431
@johangreb

Quote:
Reminds me of Bill Gates's "64Kb is the most you'll ever need". :wink:

Actually I think it's 640KB and not Kb.  "b"  is used for "bit" as in your n-Kilobit/second internet connection vs. "B" for "byte (8 bits)"
They even put it into one of my fav. x86 demo's from ages back when realtime animation in sync. with music was a real impressive feat.  See:
EMF "Verses" @ Youtube from 1994 =)  Configuring my Gravis Ultrasound PnP to play the integrated demo mods was really annoying in DOS and Win95 LoL ^_^

I agree with your sentiment though.  I've always liked them to pick a standard, but leave a _TON_ of room in the spec. for expansion if needed.  Looking forward to latest SATA revision (formerly known as v3.0) 6Gb/s (w/error correction) that they thankfully left room for expansion from the old spec. that can take advantage of the new solid state drives that saturate some current SATA 3Gb/s connections at ~250MB/s.

Personally, I would like ridiculously high res. multi-channel, multi-source, exacting virtualized environment, with customized HRTF and headphone profiles, along with wide angle stereoscopic 3D rendering to to recreate arbitrary concert locations and user positions with flawless "more real than real" realism (removing all unwanted wind/coughs/etc)  Lol.  Not holding my breath, but the technology is approaching nonetheless.

Cheers,

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #139 of 431
I agree that recording/mixing/performance is more important. 192kHz/24bits of static is not going to be very interesting.

The tough question is given the same recording/mixing/performance, is higher sampling rate better? Personally, I always get the highest sampling rate I can get. It's true that I probability cannot hear the difference, but I might when I upgrade my gears later down the road. And, with the rate of medical advancement nowadays, I can probably upgrade my ears sooner or later :)

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #140 of 431
Hi guys - just my attempt to bring this thread back on topic with a recent review from here: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=75642 or here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82128.0

Abstract:

Quote:
I don’t know about expensive analogue, because I haven’t been exposed to it that much, but for me the modded hiface, the modded USB cable, is almost too good for words. It’s knee-tremblingly good. I woke up on Sunday morning thinking about whether I should listen to ABC Classic FM, or my other CDs. I downloaded high res samples, so this lets me listen to high res too. Fabulous price, fabulous sound, for peanuts in the scheme of things, with enough technology to see me through the next 10 years. All on a journeyman’s laptop, with no esoteric settings , no tweaks.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #141 of 431

Quote:
I agree that recording/mixing/performance is more important. 192kHz/24bits of static is not going to be very interesting.

The tough question is given the same recording/mixing/performance, is higher sampling rate better? Personally, I always get the highest sampling rate I can get. It's true that I probability cannot hear the difference, but I might when I upgrade my gears later down the road. And, with the rate of medical advancement nowadays, I can probably upgrade my ears sooner or later :)

44.1k sampling is probably a bit low and the effect from the aliasing frequency could be relatively large.  I THINK 24 bit could be more important because it should be easier for the DAC to produce a smoother output but I have no data to back me up.  24/96 should be much better and I doubt anything higher than 24/192 is really useful.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #142 of 431
John just emailed me that my modded HiFace is on its way to the States.  After all of the good things that have been posted about this mod, it will be a test of my patience to wait until it gets here. I will post impressions when I get it. 
Kudos to John for doing this for the head-fi community!! 

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #143 of 431
Hey Jkeny, what do you think of the idea of replacing the stock Hiface clocks with TentLabs XO 22.5792 and 24.5760 clocks? Do you think that would provide a noticeable sonic upgrade?

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #145 of 431
John, I must thank you for a job well done. I received my boxed and modded bnc unit today. What can I say, I feel like a spoiled child. This is something special.

I play Macbook pro on battery // Itunes // alac // Amarra // Jkeny modded Hiface bnc // Oyaide bnc // Audio gd Ref 1// acss // Phoenix // balanced Vortex silver/Bocchino BAXLR //  JVC DX 1000 ++ SE Beyer T1.

Bassface swing trio // Sara K Hell or high water // Open your ears // Karrin Allyson best of // Ian Shaw  Drawn to all things.

I certainly hear the improvement and won't go to superlatives but to say three aspects of the sound come to mind, better foundation, better focus and air around instruments. I am so deeply melded into the music its unreal.

Many thanks, wish you where here.

Irish Shade to you.

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #146 of 431

Quote:
Hey Jkeny, what do you think of the idea of replacing the stock Hiface clocks with TentLabs XO 22.5792 and 24.5760 clocks? Do you think that would provide a noticeable sonic upgrade?

I'd like to know that too.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #147 of 431

Quote:

I tried to reply to this earlier but reply button was not working on my work computer. I have tried some supposedly better clocks but noticed no difference in sound. You know, I'm convinced that when people report a major improvement with the installation of one of these after market clock modules, it's 90% to do with the better supply that is a necessary part of the clock add-on! Maybe you don't get to hear the subtle differences between clocks unless you can get the overall system jitter low enough or maybe not even then? 

I will be interested to hear the results of experiments although Regal has already expressed a negative bias towards the clocks in the Hiface.

Quote:
John, I must thank you for a job well done. I received my boxed and modded bnc unit today. What can I say, I feel like a spoiled child. This is something special.

I play Macbook pro on battery // Itunes // alac // Amarra // Jkeny modded Hiface bnc // Oyaide bnc // Audio gd Ref 1// acss // Phoenix // balanced Vortex silver/Bocchino BAXLR //  JVC DX 1000 ++ SE Beyer T1.

Bassface swing trio // Sara K Hell or high water // Open your ears // Karrin Allyson best of // Ian Shaw  Drawn to all things.

I certainly hear the improvement and won't go to superlatives but to say three aspects of the sound come to mind, better foundation, better focus and air around instruments. I am so deeply melded into the music its unreal.

Many thanks, wish you where here.

Irish Shade to you.

Great, to hear that you have been assimilated into the music - I find that's the whole point of listening to music - to be transported to amusical event in time & place, forgetting all current worries :) (like a good concert can also do)

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #148 of 431
I've been listening to my Jkeny Modified HiFace for a few hours now. I think at this point, it seems to be the best USB/SPDIF converter I've owned and bests the other coaxial output devices I've owned as well (motherboard, soundcards etc...see profile).

It hasn't burnt in yet, but so far, the sound can best be described as warm, smooth and focused (unlike the Teralink-X2, which is hazy/fuzzy in comparison).

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #150 of 431
Shahrose,
Congratulations on your hiface mod. I've had mine for about a month now and I'm totally floored by how good this mod is.  The more I listen to music with this mod in my system the more I like it.  You will find that hi rez files are absolutely amazing and breathtaking!!!
I will say hands down that this is the most difference any tweek has made in my system.  The best money I've spent so far.

Enjoy and keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back