Review: JH Audio JH13
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #16 of 35
Hey man, long time.

Thanks for the review. Hate to say it though, doesn't it kind of state the obvious? I like my JH 13 pros plenty, but it wouldn't replace any of my full sized cans. Having said that though, I do need a portable solution and I prefer it over the UE-11 Pros and Sensaphonics I've owned in the past.

Guess maybe it's only obvious to people who've owned them and a bunch of other high quality cans.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Hate to say it though, doesn't it kind of state the obvious? I like my JH 13 pros plenty, but it wouldn't replace any of my full sized cans.

Wasn't obvious to me. Up until this post, I've read a few posts where people stated they preferred it to their high end full sized cans, but rarely anyone who outright stated it was inferior to most of their full sized headphones. To me, this was a refreshing review. I thought I was done after purchasing my jh-13s, but seems I will have to try out a full sized can for myself.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #18 of 35
After having done thorough research on head fi and other sites, just pulled the trigger on a pair of 13s.

And after reading this realistic review (albeit late) I am looking forward to the upgrade from my Shure 530s and into the world of customs. A-N-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-I-O-N.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #19 of 35
Thanks for your review.
I been sitting on the fence about purchasing the JH13/16s. I have no desire to purchase multi kinds of headphones but I can certainly understand someone who enjoys that kind of thing. The moral of the story is no speaker or headphone or IEM can ever produce the perfect sound. And my view over the years is audio can become a bottomless pit of ever seeking true audio nirvana.I see this in every hobby I have been in whether it's been dirtbikes or cameras or whatever.What your review did confirm to me is that the JH13/16s can pretty much offer me all that I want in in an IEM that comes awefull close to the various best of the best headphones out there. My wrestling over this kind of purchase is that I cannot truly demo these IEMs for reasons understood. But now I can feel pretty solid about buying these without regrets.Thanks again for taking the amount of time it took to go back and forth listening and testing and then writing your findings.
You labor of love has reaped rewards for us who don't have the means to compare headphones as you did.

May 9, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #21 of 35
Asr, Great review of a great IEM. Perhaps you'll win a JH16 Pro this time around at Can Jam 2010 and after reviewing that you may be able to retire some of your full-size cans...LOL Curious: have you tried the 13s with TWag cables? They do make a big difference over the stock JHA cable. Thanks again.

May 10, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
Hey man, long time.

Thanks for the review. Hate to say it though, doesn't it kind of state the obvious? I like my JH 13 pros plenty, but it wouldn't replace any of my full sized cans. Having said that though, I do need a portable solution and I prefer it over the UE-11 Pros and Sensaphonics I've owned in the past.

Guess maybe it's only obvious to people who've owned them and a bunch of other high quality cans.

Best,

-Jason

Well one of my hopes with the JH13 back when I first got it was that it might replace at least two of my full-size headphones, so I'm not so sure about stating the obvious. :wink:

Quote:
how's it's vocal performance? is it laid-back or any other?

In this review I intentionally tried to not make absolute statements, only relative statements (compared to my other headphones). So without a specific headphone in mind, I can't (and won't) answer this question. I did say in the review that the vocal range initially seemed recessed coming immediately off from the K701 and AD2000, but after further listening I came to the conclusion that the JH13 simply is flat in that area.

Quote:
Asr, Great review of a great IEM. Perhaps you'll win a JH16 Pro this time around at Can Jam 2010 and after reviewing that you may be able to retire some of your full-size cans...LOL Curious: have you tried the 13s with TWag cables? They do make a big difference over the stock JHA cable. Thanks again.

I'm certainly hoping to win something at CanJam 2010. :p I do not have the TWag cable, I'm not interested in acquiring it either.

May 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #23 of 35
Excellent review.  It's rare to find a review that does such a remarkable job of being fair to all points worth discussing.  You came to talk about an earphone that is neutral and balanced - and you ended up exhibiting the very same strengths.

May 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #24 of 35
Thanks for this review Asr, i have been reading about customs for quite sometime. Wondering if i should jump on the JH13 bandwagon. I dont think i will now.

Cheers!

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #25 of 35
Great review man! Really appreciate you taking the time. I am still considering trying the JH13s/JH16s --- just to try something new but this really helps in setting expectations.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 35
Steve, sorry for the old bump, but I read this and I have to give you props for doing an incredibly well written review. The comparisons are very direct and to the point, no filler, and I think you convey the sound accurately and objectively.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #28 of 35
I appreciate the feedback from those who have posted but it's not really necessary - I don't write reviews expecting any feedback (be it positive or negative - and if anything I'd appreciate negative feedback more so I know how to improve), and I don't come back to review threads I've written to look for more posts either (the only reason I'm here now is that I noticed this thread was within the first couple pages of the Portable Headphones forum again which was unexpected).

I'll most likely be updating the review at some point with comparisons to the HD800 and T1, along with the LCD-2 once I acquire one.

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #30 of 35
JH13 vs: Beyerdynamic T1 and Sennheiser HD800

Music used for this comparison:
- Julia Fischer - Bach Concertos - Concerto for Two Violins in D minor - "I. Vivace", "III. Allegro"
- Katie Melua - Piece by Piece - "Shy Boy"
- Symphony X - Paradise Lost - "Set the World on Fire", "The Walls of Babylon"
- Trifonic - Emergence - "Transgenic"

Equipment was the same as before (noted in post #1), with the same source and headphone amp.

"Diffusion" is a word I use to describe the separation of musical elements from each other that some headphones do, like the HD800 and T1, among others like the Sony SA5000 (and Qualia 010) and AKG K701. These headphones "peel apart" the music so you can hear everything going on and the more "peeling apart" that's done, the more "diffuse" they sound and the more they lose the picture of the musical whole (so it's not really a good thing when it's overdone, but a little of it can be nice). With this definition in mind, I would call the JH13 the least diffuse of the three, followed by the T1, and then the HD800. To put it another way, the JH13 had a very "integrated" type of sound with minimal separation of the musical elements - but still enough to hear everything distinctly. The T1 spread everything out more and the HD800 even more than the T1.

"Clarity" is a completely separate concept and for me refers to how "clear" everything in the music sounds. "Clarity" is a concept that really needs context IMO, as in order to truly understand it, one should really hear a wide variety of headphones. My top reference for clarity in headphones is the Qualia 010, followed by the SA5000. The HD800 had the most clarity of the three, followed by the T1, and then the JH13. The differences though were not as much as when comparing diffusion - while I thought the JH13 was barely diffuse at all, it still had very good clarity, just not as much as the T1 or especially the HD800.

Soundstage is another concept and in this aspect the JH13 outclassed the other two, revealing more differences in soundstage span and depth, and reacted accordingly with different recordings. Both the T1 and HD800 had an imposed soundstage, with the T1 positioning instruments further away and out to the sides more, and the HD800 even moreso. The T1 and HD800 also both had a fair amount of "air" injected into the music while the JH13 had none. By "air" I refer to the perception of "acoustics" in the musical space and how "open" it seems.

The JH13 was also considerably faster in impulse response than either the T1 or HD800 and correctly translated the speed of very fast sequences of notes without blurring anything. It also exuded a more powerful and fast bass with a tight, accurate hit, more similar in style to the Audio-Technica AD2000's type of bass response than either the HD800's or T1's. It was low and very fast and recovered instantly from large-quantity bass impacts, while the HD800 and T1 were just a bit plodgy in comparison.

I wouldn't necessarily call the JH13 the best of the three as that's subjective but for me it was the most satisfactory across multiple genres of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back