REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
May 1, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #1,321 of 1,670
I'm very interested in the discount for the owners of HDP toward the upgrade PSU!!!! 
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #1,323 of 1,670
EQ'ing the HDP with the HD 600

I'm aware that some of you use the Sennheiser HD 600 with the Nuforce HDP. I love the neutrality of the HD 600, but to my ears it sounds a little bright with the HDP by default to the point that it makes my ears ring a bit, so I've been trying some EQ with pink noise to reduce the brightness of that combo. Now, I know everyone's ears are different, but have any of you found EQ settings that work well with the HD 600 and HDP?

Many thanks.

May 3, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #1,324 of 1,670
Where are the EQ settings you have access to?  I was under the impression that digital signal out of a computer cannot be equalized.

Quote:
EQ'ing the HDP with the HD 600

I'm aware that some of you use the Sennheiser HD 600 with the Nuforce HDP. I love the neutrality of the HD 600, but to my ears it sounds a little bright with the HDP by default to the point that it makes my ears ring a bit, so I've been trying some EQ with pink noise to reduce the brightness of that combo. Now, I know everyone's ears are different, but have any of you found EQ settings that work well with the HD 600 and HDP?

Many thanks.

May 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,326 of 1,670
Oh, I see.  I thought those EQ settings affected the sound coming out of the computer speakers and not the digital signal from USB or SPDF outputs.

BTW, I used to see an EQ in older versions of WMP, but I could not find it on the version that's in my latest Windows 7 machine.

Quote:
Most, if not all, media players have built in EQ that can be adjusted.

May 4, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,327 of 1,670
We received a few sets of LPS-1 and LPS-1U-96K today.  Photos will be up on the site tonight and you can order from estore. Please sign up for our mailing list (from www.nuforce.com) and we will email discount coupon to you.
These few units will likely be sold out quickly but we will soon have a bigger shipment.

May 5, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #1,328 of 1,670

Quote:
We received a few sets of LPS-1 and LPS-1U-96K today.  Photos will be up on the site tonight and you can order from estore. Please sign up for our mailing list (from www.nuforce.com) and we will email discount coupon to you.
These few units will likely be sold out quickly but we will soon have a bigger shipment.

HDP owners really should jump on these power supplies.  The HDP moves up to a new level of performance with a linear regulated power supply!  I'm still amazed at the increased transparency, with more holographic and out-of-head soundstage that I'm getting from the amp section just with the upgrade to a Sigma 11 PSU.  I'm also getting a blacker background, and it seems like I can hear deeper into my 24/96 recordings.

May 5, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #1,329 of 1,670
I got my UM3X yesterday, and used HDP to drive it.  There was too much hiss.  I guess the output impedance is way too high.  Any solutions to this? ,I've used the ER4S impedance adapter, and it lowers the hiss, but it doesn't sound as good.

May 5, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #1,330 of 1,670
Please excuse the noob question.  But, is it true that if one already has an HDP all you need is an LPS-1?  No need for the LPS-2U-96K?

Quote:

May 5, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #1,331 of 1,670
[size=10pt]Hello, someone has compared the the PCI Soundcard Cantatis Overture 192 with the Nuforce icon HDP DAC? [/size][size=medium]Are two identical products or the icon HDP is another level?[/size]

May 6, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #1,332 of 1,670

Quote:
Please excuse the noob question.  But, is it true that if one already has an HDP all you need is an LPS-1?  No need for the LPS-2U-96K?

The HDP already supports up to 96khz via usb, so you would not gain resolution. If you had a ground  issue with your computer transmitting noise, it might help. From my comparisons between usb and optical input, I can not detect any noise due to the usb.

May 6, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #1,333 of 1,670

Quote:
I got my UM3X yesterday, and used HDP to drive it.  There was too much hiss.  I guess the output impedance is way too high.  Any solutions to this? ,I've used the ER4S impedance adapter, and it lowers the hiss, but it doesn't sound as good.

I find the UM3X, ES3X and W3 hiss too easily with many amps, while the W4, JH13Pro and ES5 are noticeably better.  You can use a Westone or Shure volume attenuator and rotate the volume knob just 3 - 4 mm to cut the hiss a good amount, with minimal cut in the volume levels or sound quality.  Tomorrow I'll try to test the HDP with Sigma 11 PSU to see if the hiss is improved with the upgraded power supply.  A Sigma 11 PSU definitely decreased the hiss with a Grahm Slee NOVO amp when I had one to test before.

May 6, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #1,334 of 1,670
How does a better power supply decrease hiss?  I thought hiss is amped thermal noise.  

May 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #1,335 of 1,670
Thanks!  I am presently using the HDP with the SPDF output from my Sony computer and have no noise issues.

Quote:
The HDP already supports up to 96khz via usb, so you would not gain resolution. If you had a ground  issue with your computer transmitting noise, it might help. From my comparisons between usb and optical input, I can not detect any noise due to the usb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back