REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Feb 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #1,201 of 1,670
cool.  glad all is indeed normal.  

thanks for the confirmation!

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #1,202 of 1,670
Hi

I'm looking for an IEM that matches the HDP and is around 200-300 USD. (or a bit more is ok as well)
I'm after something neutral. I know there have been recomendations mainly by HPA but would you give me summary considering the price as well?

or even any good product under 100 USD?

Thanks
David

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #1,203 of 1,670
Can anyone tell me the specific type and size of the dc plug that goes into the HDP from the external wal-wart power supply?

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,205 of 1,670
Yeah, I did that. But at that small of measurements just wanted to be sure if someone knew a published measurement. There are a few plugs that only differ a few tenths of a millimeter and its hard to tell which of the two it is with a tape measure.

Quote:
Can't you just measure the diameter of the plug with a ruler?

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #1,206 of 1,670
I just measured mine at it shows 5 mm on my measuring tape.

Quote:
Yeah, I did that. But at that small of measurements just wanted to be sure if someone knew a published measurement. There are a few plugs that only differ a few tenths of a millimeter and its hard to tell which of the two it is with a tape measure.

Quote:
Can't you just measure the diameter of the plug with a ruler?

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,207 of 1,670
For those of you have posted regarding interests in an upgraded power supply, I have a Sigma 11 in the works customized for HDP. I also just ordered a couple of Pangea ac-14se power cables from Audio Advisor. The cables had quite a bit of positive reviews on Audiogon.

I should have the sigma 11 and power cables broken in next week and will look to post impressions as soon as possible.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #1,208 of 1,670
Woot, finally got my HDP (worth the wait!!):

Still evaluating the sound, but I am VERY happy so far.  The improvement from my onboard audio (X-fi) is very noticible.  Thanks Head-fi for steering me in this direction :)

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,209 of 1,670
Welcome to Head-Fi. What a great way to get started with HDP and your HD 650 and D 7000. I would be interested in your impressions on which headphones you think pair better with HDP. I recently temporarily exchanged my HD 650 with a local member's D5000. While I am enjoying the D5000, I think the HDP pairs a little better with the HD 650.

Quote:
Woot, finally got my HDP (worth the wait!!):

Still evaluating the sound, but I am VERY happy so far.  The improvement from my onboard audio (X-fi) is very noticible.  Thanks Head-fi for steering me in this direction :)

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #1,210 of 1,670

I recently upgraded from a uDAC to the HDP. I am really enjoying it with my D2000, I feel to have gained benefits in all areas of my music. I have noticed an improvement with the D2000's mids and bass.  

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,211 of 1,670
I look forward to your impressions with the sigma11 and the HDP. I have the sigma11 for my M^3 amplifier and it made a very big difference compared to the stock wall wart in just about every way. The clarity, soundstage and separation on my M^3 really did improve with the sigma11. My sigma11 is 24V, is the one being made for your HDP 15v?

Quote:
For those of you have posted regarding interests in an upgraded power supply, I have a Sigma 11 in the works customized for HDP. I also just ordered a couple of Pangea ac-14se power cables from Audio Advisor. The cables had quite a bit of positive reviews on Audiogon.

I should have the sigma 11 and power cables broken in next week and will look to post impressions as soon as possible.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #1,212 of 1,670
Yeah, the sigma 11 I have in the works is being custom built for HDP at 15v and 1.6a. I'm really hopeful it will bring about the benefits you describe. I can't imagine it wouldn't make a noticeable improvement based on how small the wal-wart is that comes with HDP. I am hoping it expands out the soundstage a tad. I'm also considering power conditioning as well, but am going to hold off until I get my sigma 11. I have a local friend who has a $2,000 PS Audio Power Plant Premier. I'm going to take my HDP and sigma 11 over to his place when its ready and compare them alone and through the power plant to see if there is still significant untapped potential from a power conditioner or if the sigma 11 makes it mostly unnecessary. I'll be sure to report findings, although it will probably be another full week.

Quote:
I look forward to your impressions with the sigma11 and the HDP. I have the sigma11 for my M^3 amplifier and it made a very big difference compared to the stock wall wart in just about every way. The clarity, soundstage and separation on my M^3 really did improve with the sigma11. My sigma11 is 24V, is the one being made for your HDP 15v?

Quote:

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #1,213 of 1,670
A question to those who own both the HDP and SFlo 2.. Which would sound better?

SFlo 2 lineout > HDP amp section > headphones

or

Computer usb input/ coax digital input > HDP DAC+amp > headphones

Thanks!

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #1,214 of 1,670

Quote:
A question to those who own both the HDP and SFlo 2.. Which would sound better?

SFlo 2 lineout > HDP amp section > headphones

or

Computer usb input/ coax digital input > HDP DAC+amp > headphones

Thanks!

Can't say much about the SFlo 2 line-out, but the HDP DAC clearly beat all of my iPod line-outs and even my RWA iMod line-out with Vcaps when I last compared them.  As a DAC only it was only a little behind my Apogee mini-DAC or PS Audio Digital Link III.  I also think the DAC section is a little better than my other $400 DACs like Headroom Micro DAC, Pico DAC-only or even DACport.  I currently use the HDP as a USB DAC through my Macbook Pro, and feed it into my SR-71b amp for my balanced IEM or HE-6 headphones.  However, the HDP's built-in amp isn't too far behind, and sounds almost identical to my $450 RSA Protector amp (when it's in balanced mode).  As a bonus, it drives my HE-6 headphones much better than the similar sounding Protector.  Basically if you combined the $400 Pico DAC with $450 Protector, and used a balanced headphone cable, you might get pretty close to the sound of the $450 HDP.

And while the HDP DAC is a little higher performing than it's matching amp section, I think they work well together.  However, I did spend a couple of hours today listening to my $3000 PS Audio Perfectwave DAC with network bridge feeding my HDP amp lossless files off my network server, and the HDP amp did scale up nicely.  I mostly used my Grado HF-2 which I've been ignoring lately, and the PWD > HDP > HF-2 combo was really good sounding.  With the Airport Express optical > HDP optical input and amp > HF-2 it wasn't quite so nice, and a little harsher and less organic sounding.  So, although the HDP DAC is very nice, there is room for improvement and the PWD is clearly a superior DAC (for 5-6x the cost).

The point being, the HDP is a good value for the price, and I'd bet that you'll like it with at least one of the two methods you mentioned for listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back