REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Aug 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #871 of 1,670
Ok guys, I have a noobish question regarding the Nuforce HDP. I am planning on buying this DAC/AMP for my first HIFI system and I am planning on using this thing mostly with my computer. However, I'm wondering if I will be able to plug my Sansa CLIP+ to it and use the Nuforce as an AMP, is this something that the Nuforce can do? I'm guessing not as it probably needs some kind of power to work and it doesn't have a built in battery as other portable amps do. Am I right? Thanks.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #872 of 1,670
Now I'm no pro, far from it, but I think it's more like that is somehing the Clip+ can't do. The HDP can be used as amp only, so I think it boils down to the Clip+ that does not have a line out.
copy.png
favicon.ico

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #874 of 1,670

Quote:
Ok guys, I have a noobish question regarding the Nuforce HDP. I am planning on buying this DAC/AMP for my first HIFI system and I am planning on using this thing mostly with my computer. However, I'm wondering if I will be able to plug my Sansa CLIP+ to it and use the Nuforce as an AMP, is this something that the Nuforce can do? I'm guessing not as it probably needs some kind of power to work and it doesn't have a built in battery as other portable amps do. Am I right? Thanks.

Quote:
Now I'm no pro, far from it, but I think it's more like that is somehing the Clip+ can't do. The HDP can be used as amp only, so I think it boils down to the Clip+ that does not have a line out.
copy.png
favicon.ico

Quote:
Yeah you can do it, you just need to use a mini jack to rca adapter or cable. From the sansas headphone jack to the hdp line in.

You'd have to connect the Clip+ headphone out to the HDP analog input, since Clip+ doesn't have a line out.  And, the HDP is not portable, rather it's a desktop amp and DAC that plugs into the wall.  HDP has a 3.5mm input and RCA input.

You could run the HDP from a large 12v battery though, or through a cigarette lighter plug in a car.  It can accept 12-15v DC, and usually that's about as high as you get from a car when the alternator is charging the car battery (14.4v I think is what a car alternator puts out).

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #875 of 1,670
HeadphoneAddict,

How revealing is the HDP's headphone amplifier of a bad source would you say it is compared to similar priced amps that you own?

I am having a hard time differentiating the sound of my Zune HD dock fed to the analog 3.5mm input of the HDP and comparing it against the USB input. From my K701, it sounds exactly alike from the HDP's headphone amplifier. It could be either the HDP doesn't drive the K701 well or the HDP's amp section isn't revealing flaws from the source all too well. I don't suppose the HDP does any modifications to the sound of the analog inputs does it?

I have probably switched between U and A inputs about 100 times for A/Bing

Or it could be that the Zune HD's line out from the dock is really something very good.

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #876 of 1,670

Quote:
HeadphoneAddict,

How revealing is the HDP's headphone amplifier of a bad source would you say it is compared to similar priced amps that you own?

I am having a hard time differentiating the sound of my Zune HD dock fed to the analog 3.5mm input of the HDP and comparing it against the USB input. From my K701, it sounds exactly alike from the HDP's headphone amplifier. It could be either the HDP doesn't drive the K701 well or the HDP's amp section isn't revealing flaws from the source all too well. I don't suppose the HDP does any modifications to the sound of the analog inputs does it?

I have probably switched between U and A inputs about 100 times for A/Bing

Or it could be that the Zune HD's line out from the dock is really something very good.

Weird.  It sounds to me like you are fatigued and ready for a break.  It's fairly revealing of source changes, but if you've been listening a long time (like at a meet) everything starts to sound the same.  Or, the Zune is a good sounding source through the dock.  I don't know.  If it sounds good I wouldn't worry about it.  

Also, gear with similar sound signatures is harder to differentiate from each other based on other criteria like detail, speed and such.  The easiest differences to hear are in changes in frequency response.

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #877 of 1,670
Thanks for the response.

Initially I started out with the RS1 and couldn't hear any difference then I switched to the more detailed K701 but still couldn't pick anything out.

It could be fatigue, I will give it another try tomorrow during the day.

From what I know, the Zune HD uses a wolfson WM8352 chip which is good by portable sound standards. I believe cowon and ipods players use wolfson chips as well.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #878 of 1,670
Would someone please be able to tell me how the HDP goes with the characteristics of the Denon D2000 eg. recessed mids, boomy bass, lacking detail, so-so highs etc? Modding them at this point is probably not going to happen. I've read comments saying that the HDP can be too bright depending on the headphones - this kind of puts me off a bit, otherwise it seems to have all the inputs, quality, and portability (in my home) that I need. Thanks

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #880 of 1,670

Quote:
Would someone please be able to tell me how the HDP goes with the characteristics of the Denon D2000 eg. recessed mids, boomy bass, lacking detail, so-so highs etc? Modding them at this point is probably not going to happen. I've read comments saying that the HDP can be too bright depending on the headphones - this kind of puts me off a bit, otherwise it seems to have all the inputs, quality, and portability (in my home) that I need. Thanks

Upgraded from Prodigy HD2 sound card to HDP, the bass is tighter, punchier and the harsh of treble is calm down very much but it's still. I think the changes are about 30 - 40 % for D2000.  I don't attention to mid 'cause my favourite music is dance, r&b and some metal which don't need mids much.
Sorry for my poor english :D

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #881 of 1,670

Quote:
Upgraded from Prodigy HD2 sound card to HDP, the bass is tighter, punchier and the harsh of treble is calm down very much but it's still. I think the changes are about 30 - 40 % for D2000.  I don't attention to mid 'cause my favourite music is dance, r&b and some metal which don't need mids much.
Sorry for my poor english :D

Thank you for your response, this is helpful to me. Your english is totally understandable, keep it up - I know many people with english as their native language who can't spell, and have poor grammar (sometimes me)

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #883 of 1,670
Dolby Headphone DSP > HDP > T1 were incredible on movies. Concerning the music, I liked T1 only with some serious multi-bit NOS DAC > caps and tubes upgraded WA3. With lesser sources and amps, including HDP,  I did not like T1 more than venerable HD650.

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #885 of 1,670
I doubt the HD800 / HDP would be a good combo, as both are known to be "bright" sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back