REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Aug 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #856 of 1,670

Quote:

How does the HDP compare to the EF5 with the LCD-2?

Macbook > HDP USB > LCD-2 is a bit better than the Macbook > Apogee mini-DAC optical > EF5 > LCD-2.  I have not had a chance to try both amps with the same DAC.  The EF5 rig with LCD-2 sounds a bit more reserved, intimate and dark than the HDP rig.  With the HE-5 the two rigs are closer, but don't ask me which is better because I'd have to start that comparison all over again since it's been so long.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #857 of 1,670
Yes, I suppose it wouldn't really be a fair comparison unless you were using the same DAC with both amps; ideally it would be nice to compare both amps with both DACs.
Could you get on that please
wink.gif
?

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #858 of 1,670
deleted

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #861 of 1,670
@headphoneAddict. Have you heard Audio-gd FUN (A version)? At $449, I think that the HDP directly competes with the A version FUN. After shipping and everything, the FUN comes a little cheaper than the HDP. From what I read, it seems that the A version FUN uses a lot of premium parts. I am not sure whether or not they make the FUN sound better, but it is always good to have better parts when they are available. However, the HDP looks better and is smaller. Although size is not the top priority for me, it is always good to have a tidier desk:)

Basically, I am wondering which one will be a better sounding dac/amp combo. I will not invest in any dedicated dac or amp in the near future. So I am just trying to get an all-in-one package and use it with my headphones and active speakers. I am not sure which one to pick. Would you please help me share some light on this?

Here is what I have:
Headphones: HF2 and K701
Speakers: AV40
Current dac/amp: uDac and Sparrow (B version), just got them sold:)

I probably will only use the USB input as this is the only option with my laptop. I listen to a lot of metal and some blues and sometimes some pops as well. Pretty much all my music files are 16/44.1-48 lossless. I don't think I will have any 24/96 files in the near future as I am already enjoying my current files.

Many thanks:)

Lee

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #863 of 1,670
Can someone clarify whether or not I will be able to play 24/88 HDTrack files with Nuforce HDP using foobar2000 v1.03? I remember reading it didn't have direct support for 24/88 but I'm not sure if foobar can upsample to 24/96 or have another way of playing it without loss in quality.

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #864 of 1,670

Quote:
Can someone clarify whether or not I will be able to play 24/88 HDTrack files with Nuforce HDP using foobar2000 v1.03? I remember reading it didn't have direct support for 24/88 but I'm not sure if foobar can upsample to 24/96 or have another way of playing it without loss in quality.

Don't know about Foobar, but I have my Macbook Pro and iTunes with the USB set for 24/96, and I am playing a 24/88 file right now and it has no trouble playing it.

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #866 of 1,670
Just ordered the HDP and am looking forward to receiving it sometime in the future.

On a side note, I'm very much impressed with the resourcefulness and help rendered by their customer service; I believe the Jason that I've been in correspondence would be the same Jason posting here and he's made a gesture that wasn't required, but nevertheless, very generous and commendable.

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #867 of 1,670
It would be nice if you could compare the HDP's amp with the Matrix M-Stage when you get a chance, I don't think I've read any comparison of the two and I am a little curious.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #868 of 1,670

Quote:
It would be nice if you could compare the HDP's amp with the Matrix M-Stage when you get a chance, I don't think I've read any comparison of the two and I am a little curious.

Well, I'd be happy to help out there assuming my rubbish ears can detect anything, also, it might have to wait a little as I ordered the RCA-RCA cable from NuForce and they just said it actually hadn't come out yet and will send it over when it's done, so when that does come over, then I'll do some testing after I burn-in the unit a little.

Assuming you dropped the post here referring to me, just drop me a PM and then we can take it from there, but it will be some time yet before I get the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back