REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Aug 14, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #827 of 1,670
I finally got around to permanently connecting my computer speakers (Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia THX) to the RCA output of my HDP.  (mostly using headphones before)

320 kbps mp3 streams from MOG music service > my PC's USB > Nuforce Icon HDP RCA outputs> Klipsch 2.1 powered speakers.

Now that I have a volume control on both the HDP as a preamp and the amplified speakers, what is the ideal setting that I should be using?  A search on the topic gives me mixed results.  My choices seem to be either increasing the volume of the HDP just below where clipping would occur, than using the Klipsch speaker volume to adjust to the preferred listening level.  The other option, and one I believe makes the most sense, would be to set the volume on my Klipsch speakers to max, and use the HDP's volume setting to adjust to the preferred listening level.  In the second option, I might have to lower the volume on the Klipsch speakers to allow for enough room to adjust the volume level with the HDP. (if that makes any sense?)

How is this done by some of you that are using the HDP as a DAC for another amplifier?  Is it really safe to crank the volume to max on my Klipsch speakers?  Without a DAC, I've rarely ventured above 30-40% of the potential with my PC speakers, as these things are extremely powerful for their size.  Would the load be increased by setting the Klipsch volume on max while using the HDP to control the listening level?  I don't want to blow my circuit breaker and I don't want to create a mini furnace sitting at my feet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #828 of 1,670
Quote:
I finally got around to permanently connecting my computer speakers (Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia THX) to the RCA output of my HDP.  (mostly using headphones before)

320 kbps mp3 streams from MOG music service > my PC's USB > Nuforce Icon HDP RCA outputs> Klipsch 2.1 powered speakers.

Now that I have a volume control on both the HDP as a preamp and the amplified speakers, what is the ideal setting that I should be using?  A search on the topic gives me mixed results.  My choices seem to be either increasing the volume of the HDP just below where clipping would occur, than using the Klipsch speaker volume to adjust to the preferred listening level.  The other option, and one I believe makes the most sense, would be to set the volume on my Klipsch speakers to max, and use the HDP's volume setting to adjust to the preferred listening level.  In the second option, I might have to lower the volume on the Klipsch speakers to allow for enough room to adjust the volume level with the HDP. (if that makes any sense?)

How is this done by some of you that are using the HDP as a DAC for another amplifier?  Is it really safe to crank the volume to max on my Klipsch speakers?  Without a DAC, I've rarely ventured above 30-40% of the potential with my PC speakers, as these things are extremely powerful for their size.  Would the load be increased by setting the Klipsch volume on max while using the HDP to control the listening level?  I don't want to blow my circuit breaker and I don't want to create a mini furnace sitting at my feet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  

I use the HDP with Sennheiser HD650s as well as the same speakers, Klipsch Promedia 2.1. I connected both through the front stereo jack. WIth the HD650, just disconnect the 1/4"-->1/8" adapter to plug it in. With the Klipsch, I use the 1/8"-->1/4" adapter to plug it into the same jack. I switch between the two depending on which one I'm using since it isn't too much trouble. I leave my Klipsch volume set at 1/3 of max and adjust the volume using the HDP. Don't turn it up too loudly, otherwise you'll risk blowing out your speakers.

That said, I can't tell much of a difference between 192 kbps (V2) and 320 kbps (V0) when using the Klipsch. I can using the Sennheisers though. I'm curious as to whether I can tell the difference using monitors, like the audioengine a5 or the m-audio av40.

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #829 of 1,670
I wish I had your headphones.  Saving up for a pair of Denon AH-D5000s, which will be my next purchase.  

For the HDP, the output impedance is about 10 times more using the rear RCA outputs rather than the headphone jack.  I get a much more useful signal to my Klipsch speakers using the RCA output vice the headphone jack.  Besides, I already had a premium 6" Monoprice RCA/female 1/8" cable.  The HDP automatically switches whenever I plug a pair of headphones into the unit.

I noticed that there is not a huge difference in the volume level when setting the Klipsch from 60%-100%.  Because of the balance issue with the HDP's volume pot, I do need to adjust the Klipsch volume down a bit so that I can listen for extended periods without having one speaker noticeably louder than the other.

The light in my room is not dimming with thte volume maxed on the speakers, so I must be ok.
bigsmile_face.gif
  This room is adjacent to the master circuit breaker, so the power cable runs are very short.  With that said, I am generally maxing out the volume level on my powered Klipsch speakers and adjusting the listening level with the HDP's volume pot.

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #831 of 1,670
I don't know if it's better or not, and I would like to know myself.  I just tried it both ways with the Klipsch volume maxed. The only difference I can notice is that it plays a bit louder through the headphone jack than it does with the RCA output.  That makes sense to me, as this would account for the impedance difference.  You can adjust the volume on the Klipsch speakers if you must, but I don't believe you need to worry about blowing the speakers.  The sound was still crystal clear, albeit very loud, with the Klipsch maxed and the HDP at 12-1 on the dial in the vertical position using the headphone jack output.  

Since I am already configured for both RCA and headphone outputs, I will keep my current setup.  

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #832 of 1,670
I just bought a Cambridge 550C cd player from Sound by Singer (closing their doors, many bargains to be had). 

I hooked it up to my Soundquest SQ84-V2 and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded.   It's a very good-sounding unit for the price.

I then used it as a transport and ran it into the HDP.   Yes, this was better.   An oboe sounded more like an oboe.  A flute sounded more like a flute.  Not night and day, but a very nice improvement. 

I wish people like Cambridge would sell a transport-only version of something like a 550C.   DAC's are here to stay.

PS:  I'm eager to hear the new MF MDAC1, I imagine it will be a step up from the HPD.  

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #833 of 1,670
I just ordered my Nuforce HDP (black) along with Sennheiser HD 650s for my first full-size desktop rig :).

I'll be sure to post impressions using both IE8 and HD 650 once they arrive and are burned in, which will probably take a couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

- Dave

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #834 of 1,670

Quote:
I just ordered my Nuforce HDP (black) along with Sennheiser HD 650s for my first full-size desktop rig :).

I'll be sure to post impressions using both IE8 and HD 650 once they arrive and are burned in, which will probably take a couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

- Dave

Cool.  Just an FYI, after hearing the HD650 again this weekend at the Colorado meet I still prefer the HD600.  And the HD600 sound great with the HDP.  I didn't think to try the HD650 on my HDP at the meet, but I suspect that if you are a fan of the HD650 then you'll be just fine with them on the HDP.  If you don't like the combo, try looking for an HD600 before looking for another amp.  The only time I liked the HD650 was on Blutarsky's $2000 Zana Deux.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #835 of 1,670
Just wanted to chime in regarding the Senn HD600/650 with the Nuforce HDP Dac.
I find myself going back to my HD600s  simply for the openness and unforced dynamic range with instrumental Jazz, piano and orchestral music.  Both units are well over 400 hours of playing each and the Nuforce continues to delight me with its transparency and depth.
The better your source material, the more detail, and definition will be revealed without any strain.
Enjoy,

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #836 of 1,670
@ Headphoneaddict

Thanks for the additional detials Larry. I was definitely a little hesitant to order HD 650 over 600 based on the comments in this thread of how well HDP synergized with the 600s.

The only time I was able to A/B both models was through a stage 4 modded PS Audio Digital Link III and PS Audio GCHA amp. Based on my comparisons using this setup over the course of an hour or two, I preferred the HD 650. To my ears, it seemed to have a slightly more resolving, smoother, and fuller sound (heard subtle grain on 600 that I didn't hear on 650). While the bass was stronger on the 650, it didn't seem to overpower the other frequencies with the exception of one or two tracks over that time frame. Then again, I have read that the GCHA reigns in bass heavy phones. Hopefully my impressions weren't too skewed by this and I won't have a rude awakening with the 650/HDP combo. If so, I'll just throw them on the FS forums and pick up a 600.

@ Ceja-Blu

Did you feel that the HDP actually had better synergy with the HD 600 - making it clearly superior to HD 650 - or is it more a case of you preferring the documented differences between the sound signature of the two phones in general? I know this is an awfully subjective question, but I would definitely be interested on your thoughts.  

Thanks!
-Dave

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #837 of 1,670
As the HDP has been characterized as a "bright" amplifier by many and offers quite a bit of power, I would suspect it would be an even better match for the HD650 than it is with the HD600. HPA seems to prefer the 600 overall to the 650, regardless of the amplifier involved so I would suspect that his is more of a headphone preference than a pairing preference. For some reason I prefer the 600 single-ended, and the 650 balanced.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #838 of 1,670
I liked my HD650 with the HDP headphone out more than with my WA6.  Take a naturally laid back warmer headphone and pair it with a neutral more analytical source with decent impact and you got a great combo.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #839 of 1,670
@ grokit

Thanks for chiming in on the HDP and HD 650 comp. I imagined they would have nice synergy based on the attributes of each that you mentioned. Hopefully that will be case. I'm definitely looking forward to running it through its paces to find out.

@ Poetik

Thanks for sharing your impressions as well. When you said that you preferred your HD 650 with the HPA headphone out over that of your WA6, I assumed you meant HDP? Or were you referring to Isabellina HPA? If you preferred HDP to WA6, that's pretty exciting (even though I'm not expecting that level of performance).

Also, I would be interested in how your IE8 sound with HDP since I have them as well.

- Dave

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #840 of 1,670

Quote:
@ Poetik

Thanks for sharing your impressions as well. When you said that you preferred your HD 650 with the HPA headphone out over that of your WA6, I assumed you meant HDP? Or were you referring to Isabellina HPA? If you preferred HDP to WA6, that's pretty exciting (even though I'm not expecting that level of performance).

Also, I would be interested in how your IE8 sound with HDP since I have them as well.

- Dave

Lol whoops, I meant HDP and yea I did actually like it a bit better with the HDP as it gives it more impact and clarity than the WA6.  The HDP headphone out is also more powerful than the WA6 but I'd probably like the HD650's with the WA6SE better as it provides more juice than the normal WA6.  As far as bang for the buck I don't think you could get too much better with an all in one unit.

As for the IE8's it runs them nicely with a massive abundance of authority and It can definitely drive the IEM's to unlistenable levels really quickly.  The HDP isn't really made for IEM's so I don't prefer to listen to them with it too much.  If I had to listen to "just" IEM's it's not a terrible unit but if your rig is primarily IEM based I would go with something else like your Ibasso D10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back