REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Jul 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #811 of 1,670
I received my new HDP on Wednesday (my first DAC and amp) and have been enjoying it since then, but I noticed an issue with the volume pot.  I tried searching for the problem, but could only find one reference with no comments.  Since this seems to be the de facto HDP thread, I thought I'd post it here.

There is some noise when turning the volume from 3 to 4 o'clock.  I can hear it coming from the unit itself and I can hear it through my headphones (K702) plugged in with no music playing.  It doesn't bother me because I don't use the HDP with the volume  knob above 11 o'clock (foobar2000 and Win 7 at 100%), but have any of you had this problem?  What do you think it could be?

Another question about volume.  I sometimes have to turn down the computer's volume to avoid the channel imbalance on the HDP.  Is it better to do this with foobar2000 or the Win 7 volume, or does it make no difference?  Thanks.

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #812 of 1,670

Quote:
I received my new HDP on Wednesday (my first DAC and amp) and have been enjoying it since then, but I noticed an issue with the volume pot.  I tried searching for the problem, but could only find one reference with no comments.  Since this seems to be the de facto HDP thread, I thought I'd post it here.

There is some noise when turning the volume from 3 to 4 o'clock.  I can hear it coming from the unit itself and I can hear it through my headphones (K702) plugged in with no music playing.  It doesn't bother me because I don't use the HDP with the volume  knob above 11 o'clock (foobar2000 and Win 7 at 100%), but have any of you had this problem?  What do you think it could be?

Another question about volume.  I sometimes have to turn down the computer's volume to avoid the channel imbalance on the HDP.  Is it better to do this with foobar2000 or the Win 7 volume, or does it make no difference?  Thanks.

I haven't noticed any noise, but I'll listen again.  Makes me wonder, why would you run between 3-4 o'clock with no music playing to hear it in the first place?

As for software volume, I would suspect it would be better to turn it down with foobar2000 since I don't trust windows to do it right.

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #813 of 1,670
I have noise turning knob in any positions. Plus noticeable channel imbalance up to 2 o'clock. There are some customers complaining the same problems as well. HDP is a great unit, but its volume pot is a real crap and I am going to upgrdade mine.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #814 of 1,670

Quote:

When you say 3 to 4 o'clock is your HDP standing vertically or horizontally?  I stand mine up and I never really go past 11 o'clock.  On my last HDP (I sent it back because of usb issues and volume channel imbalance) I noticed that it had a channel imbalance vertically between 7-9 o'clock and about 3-4 o'clock.  Not sure what's up with the volume pot but my newer HDP doesn't seem to have the problem anymore.

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #817 of 1,670
Quote:
update:
HDP pairs well with the M50. 
it is still a shade brighter than i'd ultimately like.  at this point.
if that changes during burn in, great.  we'll see...

well...  i put a little over 100 hours on the HDP, and the treble energy seems to have calmed down a bit.
still, it's a source/amp with a very light and airy presentation.  but, now it seems to be more balanced.
enjoying it with the M50s so far...

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #818 of 1,670
I got myself a pair of K701 and it sounds good of the HDP. Like K_19 mentioned before, I think the K701 could use a bit more low/mid bass though otherwise I think it sounds fine with the HDP. It's too bad I do not have another amp to try with the K701 right now.

The K701 is easily the most detailed headphone I have owned so far, may have a perminant spot along with the RS1. Time to sell the AD700

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #819 of 1,670
I'm brand new to amps and all of this in general, so maybe this is a dumb question.

Are you able to run individual components of the HDP (ie, DAC only)? Or can you pick a few/all to run at the same time? And how does one do that?

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #820 of 1,670

I'm brand new to amps and all of this in general, so maybe this is a dumb question.

Are you able to run individual components of the HDP (ie, DAC only)? Or can you pick a few/all to run at the same time? And how does one do that?

You can use just the DAC and connect the RCA outputs into an amp. You can use just the amp by connecting an external source to the RCA inputs.

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #822 of 1,670

Quote:
I have noise turning knob in any positions. Plus noticeable channel imbalance up to 2 o'clock. There are some customers complaining the same problems as well. HDP is a great unit, but its volume pot is a real crap and I am going to upgrdade mine.

I know I am really new here, and I must say I love my hdp with my d2000's and my four bx5a deluxe speakers, but I am curious on how you plan to upgrade your volume pot.  I have been soldering since I was eight so I think I could handle the job, just wondering what volume pot would be a good upgrade?

-Thanks

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #824 of 1,670
I've just got HDP and use USB input with Denon D2000, no hiss, no imbalance, maybe I'm lucky ^_^. The harsh of Denon D2000 is calmed down very much and the bass is punchier. Before that I used D2000 with Prodigy HD2 sound card, the sound is so so but now HDP makes my D2000 shines. So great. I recommend it to guy that want all-in-one solution. And thanks HeadphoneAddict for this review, Your posts' encouraged me to buy HDP and I made a right choice.
dt880smile.png

Sorry for my poor English.

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #825 of 1,670

Quote:
I've just got HDP and use USB input with Denon D2000, no hiss, no imbalance, maybe I'm lucky ^_^. The harsh of Denon D2000 is calmed down very much and the bass is punchier. Before that I used D2000 with Prodigy HD2 sound card, the sound is so so but now HDP makes my D2000 shines. So great. I recommend it to guy that want all-in-one solution. And thanks HeadphoneAddict for this review, Your posts' encouraged me to buy HDP and I made a right choice.
dt880smile.png

Sorry for my poor English.

Your english is fine, and glad I could help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back