REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Jul 15, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #781 of 1,670

Quote:
I've tried to search / read through every thread on the HDP but could find how well the HDP runs the 600 Ohm DT990.

I would like to buy the DT990s but I am thinking that they are not going to be loud enough for my tastes and would not be fully powered by the HDP at 600ohm. Max input on the 990 600 is 100mW and the HDP output is 85mW / 600Ohm? Have I done my research correctly?

So it would mean that the 990 250 ohm is going to able to be pushed to its maximum whilst the 990 600 will not? Is this even a problem, I do like to blast myself sometimes and having the option there to hit my headphones maximum potential would be nice. Am I just too new to the audiophile game and don't know what I am talking about or can someone enlighten me?

Quote:
I'm thinking about picking one of these up, can anyone shed any insight as to how well it pairs up with the HD650s? Does it have enough juice to drive them properly or would I be better off looking elsewhere?

It has enough power for my 600 ohm AKG K240M to play loud, but it's a better match with my HD600 which are very well driven by it.  I have no idea how it will do with a 600 ohm Beyer or HD650 though.  Sorry.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #782 of 1,670
This DAC/headphone amplifier/preamp looks very attractive considering its price to quality ratio and small size. I will probably buy this bundle of goodness in the very near future.
I did read through the first 25 pages of this thread and still have one question: what material is used for the case of the Nuforce Icon HDP?

Cheers

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #783 of 1,670
Sorry, just found out it was aluminum.

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #785 of 1,670
Yes this is normal. The headphone amplifier is always on even when the knob is in the off position.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce14/hdp.html

Quote:
The analog output stages are op-amp based while the headphone stage is a very special class A IC (not an op-amp) that powers up as soon as the AC connection is made, i.e. even with the power knob in the 'off' position

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #786 of 1,670

Quote:
I'm thinking about picking one of these up, can anyone shed any insight as to how well it pairs up with the HD650s? Does it have enough juice to drive them properly or would I be better off looking elsewhere?

I've used a pair of HD650's with my HDP headphone out and also a modded WA6.  Both of them drove the HD650's to a point where you shouldn't have them on your head anymore.  I think in the end I preferred it with the sharper attack of the SS amp and also because my brain said, "you should prefer it with the HDP headphone out because you can sell the WA6 for $900". 

Overall you should have no problems driving it with the HDP.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #788 of 1,670

Quote:
Anyone with impressions on the DT880/990 600 Ohm yet?

There are literally hundreds...search function my friend. These cans have been out for a long time (2005
smile.gif
) and they are very popular and many, many head-fiers have commented on them.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #790 of 1,670

Quote:
With the HDP...

Should be on this thread as well. But honestly at 600 ohms, they scream for tubes!

I would also look into how the HDP drives the DT880/600 and the DT770/600, they are similar wrt power requirements.

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #791 of 1,670
I've read this thread up to page 27 and as yet my questions are not addressed. I am currently using the system in my sig but would really like to improve things.

If I bought the HDP and used it in place of the Rotel would I hear a significant improvement in SQ using the Shure's? The Shure's are 40ohms so I'm guessing the upgrade with the more powerful headphone amp might not yield dramatic results.

If not, would I be better taking the money for the HDP and investing in a pair of say, Senn HD650's and upgrading to the HDP at a later date?

Also, my Rotel also powers a pair of large passive floorstanders and my new "office" doesn't really have the space to let them breathe so I was looking at active desktop monitors, say Rokit's or maybe just a pair of relatively cheapo computer speakers (Creative T20's?). Will the HDP work well as a pre-amp to active monitors?

I rarely have other people in this office these days and so speakers are becoming increasingly irrelevant as I move up the headphone ladder.

Thanks for taking the time.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #792 of 1,670
I'm beginning to wonder if I've done something wrong around here. Can nobody offer any advice?

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #793 of 1,670
I don't think many people have heard your rotel so there can't be a comparison made.  If you read HPA's statements in his first post you'd realize that the HDP was made for a higher impedance headphones.  Will it work with IEM's? Sure it will.  You're asking if it'll bring a huge improvement to a 40ohm IEM and I would have to say it wouldn't be that much of an improvement especially since my little sansa clip can run the shure's just fine. 

If you're looking for a small footprint bang for the buck amp/dac combo with the headphone out being comparable to a $400-700 SS amp then get it. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #795 of 1,670
i've just started having an issue where the HDP isn't detected on computer start up, and i have to unplug and plug the USB cable back in. anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back