REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Jun 29, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #766 of 1,670
I tried the FUN, IMO the HDP sounds cleaner, if that makes sense. The separation is noticeably different.

Also the HDP looks a lot nicer.

Then again, I'm using with ATH-M50, HD-25, and HD-600. If you have AKGs, from what I've read you might want to check out the FUN as the bass in the HDP isn't as pronounced, it's more neutral overall.

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #767 of 1,670
Thanks for the input ayz.

I remember reading back in this thread that the HDP has a nicely implemented USB interface with jitter reduction. Does anyone know if it would still benefit nicely from a M2tech Hiface or Musiland USB to SPDIF converter or would they be wasted with the HDP (which would be great)?

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #768 of 1,670
HDP's USB interface is excellent (sounds the same as using optical in from my macbook pro) so I'm not sure an M2Tech Hiface or anything like that is needed. Seems kinda redundant to me.

I will say that I've experienced a little bit of clipping here and there, but only when I connected it to the USB port on my monitor. If you don't run it off a hub and connect it directly to your PC, you should be fine.

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #769 of 1,670

HDP's USB interface is excellent (sounds the same as using optical in from my macbook pro) so I'm not sure an M2Tech Hiface or anything like that is needed. Seems kinda redundant to me.

I will say that I've experienced a little bit of clipping here and there, but only when I connected it to the USB port on my monitor. If you don't run it off a hub and connect it directly to your PC, you should be fine.

Interestingly, after re-installing OSX 10.6.4 fresh on my Macbook I can use the HDP at 24/96 through my Belkin wall-powered USB hub now.

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #770 of 1,670
I got my replacement HDP a few days ago, however I noticed something different about this unit. When I turn off the unit using the volume knob the knob itself clicks which is normal but something inside also clicks as well. I hear 1 click from inside the unit when I turn off the unit in USB mode and digital mode but hear two clicks when I turn off the unit while it's in analog mode. Is the clicking normal?

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #772 of 1,670
I am not sure whether or not this has been mentioned in this thread, but has anyone got the "high performance usb cable" which is listed on the website as one of the optional accessories? Does it have any noticeable improvement from the stock usb cable? Also, there is another usb cable listed separately on their website for $29.99. Is that the "high performance usb cable"?

@OP, you mentioned that you preferred the stock smaller PSU to the larger one. By saying larger PSU, did you mean the linear power supply that is another optional accessory?

Last question:), I currently have the Audio-GD Sparrow. Would the HDP be a clear step-up from it?

Thanks

Lee

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #773 of 1,670

Quote:
I am not sure whether or not this has been mentioned in this thread, but has anyone got the "high performance usb cable" which is listed on the website as one of the optional accessories? Does it have any noticeable improvement from the stock usb cable? Also, there is another usb cable listed separately on their website for $29.99. Is that the "high performance usb cable"?

@OP, you mentioned that you preferred the stock smaller PSU to the larger one. By saying larger PSU, did you mean the linear power supply that is another optional accessory?

Last question:), I currently have the Audio-GD Sparrow. Would the HDP be a clear step-up from it?

Thanks

Lee

I have the Nuforce high performance USB cable, and surprisingly I think that with my best headphones I hear an improvement in micro-detail or transparency with the upgraded USB Cable and 24/96 recordings (or slightly more real and engaging sounding).  But I can't put my finger on what I am hearing, and I have no way of measuring or testing the cable other than noting that it's very sturdy and solid feeling with nice connectors.  
My brain tells me that I should not hear a difference, but for some reason I like the sound with the new USB cable just a little better, like things just open up slightly more.  It's not huge, but I kept hearing the small difference.  Nuforce explains this as reducing transmission errors and noise due to the better shielding and construction, where the cable is also tested to 1Gbps and over-built for the 480Mbps USB 2.0 spec.  When I reviewed a StyleAudio CARAT-TOPAZ a while back, it's 16/44 DAC wasn't resolving enough to hear any improvement with a loaner Locus-Design cryo'd USB cable.  I need to spend more time with this USB cable and 16/44 source music and other DAC's like uDAC, but it certainly isn't going to make anything worse.

I have also tried the Nuforce mini-mini interconnect and the mini-RCA interconnect, and I think they are both very good.  They have good transparency, detail and tonal balance on par with my silver plated copper cables made by barqy and highflyin9.  Their mini-mini cable was also the only one I had in the house that did not act like an RFI antenna when used with an earlier design of the RWAudio Amp1 that I had, when connecting it to my Pico DAC-only (a production amp will be coming soon).

As for the PSU, no, I have not tried the upcoming Linear PSU with 24/192 USB to Coax adapter built-in.  It's not out yet.  I tried a higher wattage PSU that also works with the original Icon desktop amp.  I suspect some dark sounding headphones would sound better with the more powerful PSU, but otherwise I preferred the stock PSU for a more balanced sound.

I have no experience with the Audio Gd gear, sorry.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #774 of 1,670
^^Agreed. With my Kimber USB cable the micro details on very high bitrate music with my HD800s do seem a bit clearer for me. I also found that my Dayton Glass Toslink cable also had a small performance improvement. I was a little skeptical at first (especially with my engineering prejudice I had going in) but my ears did disagree with my education & logic.

For $30, not an expensive experiment. I previously believed that only analog cables could make a small difference, but know I am coming to realize that digital cables can too.

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #776 of 1,670
Besides using the HDP for computer source listening I also intend to use it with my Onkyo receiver only as head phone amp. I have a decent Onkyo 606 receiver, does anyone know if I should connect the HDP to the 'tape out' jacks? Or am I totally wrong?

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #777 of 1,670

Quote:
Besides using the HDP for computer source listening I also intend to use it with my Onkyo receiver only as head phone amp. I have a decent Onkyo 606 receiver, does anyone know if I should connect the HDP to the 'tape out' jacks? Or am I totally wrong?

That's what I would do.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #778 of 1,670
I've tried to search / read through every thread on the HDP but could find how well the HDP runs the 600 Ohm DT990.

I would like to buy the DT990s but I am thinking that they are not going to be loud enough for my tastes and would not be fully powered by the HDP at 600ohm. Max input on the 990 600 is 100mW and the HDP output is 85mW / 600Ohm? Have I done my research correctly?

So it would mean that the 990 250 ohm is going to able to be pushed to its maximum whilst the 990 600 will not? Is this even a problem, I do like to blast myself sometimes and having the option there to hit my headphones maximum potential would be nice. Am I just too new to the audiophile game and don't know what I am talking about or can someone enlighten me?

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #779 of 1,670
I'm thinking about picking one of these up, can anyone shed any insight as to how well it pairs up with the HD650s? Does it have enough juice to drive them properly or would I be better off looking elsewhere?

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #780 of 1,670

Quote:
I'm thinking about picking one of these up, can anyone shed any insight as to how well it pairs up with the HD650s? Does it have enough juice to drive them properly or would I be better off looking elsewhere?

Easily driven by the HDP but how it sounds through the HDP's headphone amp compared to another standalone amp hasn't been compared around here with the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back