REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Mar 4, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #286 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not allowed to say what DAC is used, but they might disclose that later depending on whether their suppliers agree to that or not.

With all this suspense, guess is that it could be a ESS but not the 9022, maybe something new?

Or maybe its a not a ESS chip

popcorn.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #287 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by shutterbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all this suspense, guess is that it could be a ESS but not the 9022, maybe something new?

popcorn.gif

I will not be tricked into saying anything I shouldn't. Sorry.
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #288 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you join in 2008 and only have 1 post now? haha

But I think the answer is no, it has not been disclosed.

Been a stealthy submarine all the while
atsmile.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #289 of 1,670
Quote:

How did you join in 2008 and only have 1 post now? haha

Sorry for the OT, but I am no better here
wink.gif

BTW, this DAC sounds interesting.
Should I add it to my list?
Will it be available in the UK at all?

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #290 of 1,670
Hey guys, first post here. I'm considering picking this up as my first quality headphone setup. I think my leading candidates for phones are the Denon D7000 and the new Beyer T1 - leaning towards the T1.

Can you guys comment on the ability of the HDR to drive the 600ohm T1 effectively? Also, the D7000? For what it's worth I listen to 75% rock, 15% jazz and I guess 10% acoustic of various types.

Thanks!

Jason

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #291 of 1,670
Quote:

I will not be tricked into saying anything I shouldn't. Sorry.
tongue.gif

This is from NuForce's website.

Note: Icon HDP uses the same DAC as the high-end CDP-8 (MSRP $1450.00) and similar preamp as P-8S (MSRP $1650.00). The following design features contributed to the performance of Icon HDP:

So I guess if you know what DAC the CDP-8 uses, you know what DAC the HDP uses.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #292 of 1,670
Quote:

I am not allowed to say what DAC is used, but they might disclose that later depending on whether their suppliers agree to that or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutterbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

popcorn.gif

Here's an interesting cache page I found from Google on the Sound and Vision Bristol show:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...uforce+hdp+ess

"HIAudio will be using the all new NuForce HDP DAC and headphone amp in room 326 at Bristol.

The new Icon HDP DAC is 192/24 capable, and uses the same ESS Saber32 DAC chip as used in players costing nearly £8000. UK price is now set at £345.

With USB, spdif and optical inputs it can be used from both PC/Mac as well as CD transports.

Featuring a superb headphone amp as well this is set to be a real market leader in the coming months."

The current page for the Google result is blank. So, perhaps the listing with those details were pulled as they contained details NuForce did not want released.

Jeff

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #294 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's an interesting cache page I found from Google on the Sound and Vision Bristol show:

Sound & Vision - The Bristol Show - NuForce Icon HDP DAC see it first in room 326

"HIAudio will be using the all new NuForce HDP DAC and headphone amp in room 326 at Bristol.

The new Icon HDP DAC is 192/24 capable, and uses the same ESS Saber32 DAC chip as used in players costing nearly £8000. UK price is now set at £345.

With USB, spdif and optical inputs it can be used from both PC/Mac as well as CD transports.

Featuring a superb headphone amp as well this is set to be a real market leader in the coming months."

The current page for the Google result is blank. So, perhaps the listing with those details were pulled as they contained details NuForce did not want released.

Jeff

Good sleuthing! Now Larry doesn't have to feel so guilty about holding back information
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #295 of 1,670
I've been thinking of improving upon my current Pico DAC as a source and also have been looking for a decent solid state amping option to compliment my WA6... it's looking more and more likely that my purchase will be the HDP! Not in a hurry and I have to wait for the Canadian distributor here to restock, but I think I'm pretty set on it at this point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #296 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good sleuthing! Now Larry doesn't have to feel so guilty about holding back information
wink.gif

Except that information is wrong. I don't know where they got that information but they must be just assuming just as many others had done.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #297 of 1,670
Quote:

Except that information is wrong. I don't know where they got that information but they must be just assuming just as many others had done.

Dang! You ruined it! We were still working over Larry...
wink_face.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #298 of 1,670
Can Jason of NuForce or anyone else opine about:

1) quality control concerns / improvement / no improvement needed? I've just gone through the thread (yes, I will re-read it later on), and read about some 3.5 mm L/R issue, upside case issue, and some other early issues? [NOTE: I think the IEM-only noise piece was addressed in the thread and on the NuForce web site in a well thought out fashion, so that's been taken care of very nicely.]

2) What about considering upgrading the unit to be USB 3.0 compliant? My mobo - Gigabyte X58A-UD7 - has USB 3.0, and one might feel that this speedy feature is going to be coming into play more. I don't need USB 1.1, and 2.0 is, frankly, 2.0. So please consider upgrading the HDP to USB 3.0. Or offer an opinion why that would not matter, be a bad idea, etc.

3) Can you upgrade the HDP to / offer it with balanced output?

4) Reviewers, will you please give some more detail regarding soundstaging - side-to-side, and front-to-rear - as well as instrument / vocal placement?

Please keep the comments and reviews coming. Interesting read about a very interesting product. I never thought about purchasing NuForce until this thread.

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #299 of 1,670
I'll deal with issue number 2.

192 KHz at 24 bits for two channels is 192 * 1,000 * 3 * 2 = 1.1 megabytes/second (where 1 megabyte = 1024 * 1024 bytes). USB 1.1 can do 1.43 megabytes/sec, so it's fast enough. USB 2.0 does 57 megabytes/sec and USB 3.0 does 572 megabytes/sec, so they're both overkill for hifi audio.

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #300 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill St. Clair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll deal with issue number 2.

192 KHz at 24 bits for two channels is 192 * 1,000 * 3 * 2 = 1.1 megabytes/second (where 1 megabyte = 1024 * 1024 bytes). USB 1.1 can do 1.43 megabytes/sec, so it's fast enough. USB 2.0 does 57 megabytes/sec and USB 3.0 does 572 megabytes/sec, so they're both overkill for hifi audio.

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill, thanks for your input. I note that I love overkill in audio gear; however, there are some who are happy with two cans and string, to each their own.

More seriously, if the unit was USB 3.0 compliant, perhaps down the road the speed factor may be useful as other technology improves. That paradigm's been known to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back