REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Mar 2, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #271 of 1,670
Yes but I think he talk about the standard version with 1704 and not DSP !? Price is 480$.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #272 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HDP optional power supply - I think it will be until mid April at the earliest (hey, what's the hurry
tongue.gif
). We decided to throw in a nice feature: a high performance USB hub where all the USB port can supply full power (ie any or all ports can be used for charging your portable devices too).

Linear power supply + high-end USB Hub + USB chargers

Sounds nice! What price point are you shooting for?

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #273 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcfranco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kite7, did You tried this software ? (DPC Latency Checker)?
DPC Latency Checker

I already had this problem using may uDAC, and I updated my wireless card driver and the problem was fixed in Windows 7.

Maybe this could help You.

Use the DPC Latency checker, sometimes I get spikes up to 3000us which may be the cause I'm not sure yet. I was using the HDP for most of yesterday flawlessly and today I had a little cut off. I tried updating my wireless card drivers and didn't really change anything. I must note that with the wireless disabled , I did not get those latency spikes anymore so I'm planning to try another wireless card from my other computer.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #274 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use the DPC Latency checker, sometimes I get spikes up to 3000us which may be the cause I'm not sure yet. I was using the HDP for most of yesterday flawlessly and today I had a little cut off. I tried updating my wireless card drivers and didn't really change anything. I must note that with the wireless disabled , I did not get those latency spikes anymore so I'm planning to try another wireless card from my other computer.

Is your wi-fi adapter USB-based? If so, try a wireless bridge, which would connect to your PC via the ethernet port on your mobo. That way there's one less device causing potential overhead issues.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #275 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinHorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds nice! What price point are you shooting for?

Referring to Linear power supply + high-end USB Hub + USB chargers
I think it will be between $149 to $199.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #276 of 1,670
Will there be any noticeable performance increase with the power supply? or is it just safer power to the HDP?

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #277 of 1,670
WhiskeyBent;6444212 said:
Hmm, I thought it was pretty clear. I was wondering if it would be better to use the headphone out on the HDP with no other amp other than the HDP, or use the HDP as a DAC only and use the Little Dot II as my amplifier.

Since I have no experience using any kind of DAC, I'm only speaking to your question because no one else has (yet) responded.
With regard to the idea of using the HDP with an external amp:
The NuForce website page devoted to the HDP lists their Icon Amp as a 'companion product' to the HDP.
There is nothing - that I have found in the write up - which is more specific about using the Ikon Amp to improve the sound of the HDP.
But the implication of NuForce describing the Ikon - sells for $189 - as a 'companion product' seems to suggest that adding your Little Dot II to the mix could be a reasonable way to upgrade the sound quality.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #278 of 1,670
The Icon amp is intended for use with speakers, not with headphones - so I'm afraid your observation is irrelevant in this case.

To answer the question: While I haven't personally tried the Little Dot II, I'm pretty sure it offers little to no improvement compared to the HDP's own built in headphone amp.

I might be wrong though, so I'd advise you to wait to hear other peoples opinion as well!

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #279 of 1,670
IME, even the LD MKIII, the big brother to the LD MKII, wasn't even good. An EF1 beat the crud out of it so bad it wasn't even funny. Based on that experience, and HPA's saying it's near the level of the WA6 (which the LDMKIII is *nowhere* near), I'll assume HDP amp is better.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #280 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IME, even the LD MKIII, the big brother to the LD MKII, wasn't even good. An EF1 beat the crud out of it so bad it wasn't even funny. Based on that experience, and HPA's saying it's near the level of the WA6 (which the LDMKIII is *nowhere* near), I'll assume HDP amp is better.

Sigh. Here we go. Am I the only Head-Fier who would like to see something a little more specific than 'beat the crap out of it so bad' ?? Perhaps I've stumbled into a pro-wrestling thread.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #281 of 1,670
To be fair I said crud, crap is just vulgar
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, LD MKIII barely sounded like much of an improvement from my soundcard out to my HD650. Sub in the EF1 and it's like a revelation. Stating specifics on why the EF1 was better feels a bit useless since I'm using complete relativities to say why the LDMKII would be worse than the HDP.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #282 of 1,670
CountChoculaBot, I agree with both your name and your statement.

I just got my HDP today and I'm listening through a LD MKIII right now. I was actually gonna defend the MKIII but through a few quick A/B tests I found that I preferred the HDP headphone out. I bought the HDP because the DAC is a big improvement from my emu 0404 and for the "possibility" that it's headphone amp would be good enough to make me sell off both my little dots. I knew I had to try it the instant I read HPA type that it was slightly below the wa6. While I"m listening through the HDP with my HD600's I think to myself I might have finally found a happy medium where I no longer have to upgrade for awhile. That is unless my mkiv offers something significantly more than it's mkiii little brother (which I don't think it's gonna do), I'll be putting up my LD mkiii / mkiv up for sale really soon.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #284 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CountChoculaBot, I agree with both your name and your statement.

I just got my HDP today and I'm listening through a LD MKIII right now. I was actually gonna defend the MKIII but through a few quick A/B tests I found that I preferred the HDP headphone out. I bought the HDP because the DAC is a big improvement from my emu 0404 and for the "possibility" that it's headphone amp would be good enough to make me sell off both my little dots. I knew I had to try it the instant I read HPA type that it was slightly below the wa6. While I"m listening through the HDP with my HD600's I think to myself I might have finally found a happy medium where I no longer have to upgrade for awhile. That is unless my mkiv offers something significantly more than it's mkiii little brother (which I don't think it's gonna do), I'll be putting up my LD mkiii / mkiv up for sale really soon.

I'm glad you like the HDP, as it's very special for the price. In the past 3-4 weeks, the HDP has been getting more use than the WA6 because the WA6 needs at least 30 minutes of warm-up before it opens up and sounds close to it's best (60 or more is better). I might even say that with HiFiMan HE-5 headphones the HDP is a better choice. And I love how HDP can work very well with all my IEM and my 300 ohm Sennheiser HD600/800 as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutterbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of interest, has it been disclosed what the DAC used is?

I am not allowed to say what DAC is used, but they might disclose that later depending on whether their suppliers agree to that or not.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #285 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by shutterbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of interest, has it been disclosed what the DAC used is?

How did you join in 2008 and only have 1 post now? haha

But I think the answer is no, it has not been disclosed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back