1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

    Dismiss Notice

REVIEW: HLLY DMK-IV DAC / headphone amp / pre-amp)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by skylab, Jan 25, 2010.
First
 
Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next
 
Last
  1. mrarroyo Contributor
    leeperry, I too listen at very low volume and w/ Grado headphones which are 32 ohms. I find that I can listen comfortably at volume 13-17 even w/o reducing the volume. Let me explain, you can sent the volume via the set-up program to the max of 40 or you can set it at less than 40. Thus when you start using the unit when you set the volume at 20 it is say half but not of 40 but of whatever volume you set the master at. Hope I explained it well.

    David, I really wish I could solder surface mount components to try the LM4562 which is one of favorite op-amps.
     
  2. elektrosteve
    You both have 32 ohm headphones and your hlly dac dont hiss? The superlux hd681 have 32ohm and 98db sensitivity.

    @David: I see you replace the pre amp ad797. Do you also replace the dac ad797? Am i right thats the pre amp section? Is there a sq difference between pre amp and dac out? cause i using the hlly dac with a hlly tamp20 and klipsch rf62.
     
  3. david-gao
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    leeperry, I too listen at very low volume and w/ Grado headphones which are 32 ohms. I find that I can listen comfortably at volume 13-17 even w/o reducing the volume. Let me explain, you can sent the volume via the set-up program to the max of 40 or you can set it at less than 40. Thus when you start using the unit when you set the volume at 20 it is say half but not of 40 but of whatever volume you set the master at. Hope I explained it well.

    David, I really wish I could solder surface mount components to try the LM4562 which is one of favorite op-amps.




    Miguel, Yes, LM4562 is more clear for human Voice, also have a better bass I feel!
    With AD797BR, the DAC sound is a little better, Now I think DMK-IV is stable product with these change!

    Well, Miguel, Maybe you can let some one with good soldering skill do it for you! get better sound from the headphone amplifier.[​IMG]

    -- david
     
  4. david-gao
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elektrosteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    You both have 32 ohm headphones and your hlly dac dont hiss? The superlux hd681 have 32ohm and 98db sensitivity.

    @David: I see you replace the pre amp ad797. Do you also replace the dac ad797? Am i right thats the pre amp section? Is there a sq difference between pre amp and dac out? cause i using the hlly dac with a hlly tamp20 and klipsch rf62.





    Yes, the picture is the pre amp section, I also replaced the dac AD797 with AD797BR , actually the sound of DAC and pre amp is just same, the difference is the volume of pre amp can be adjustec via CS3310!

    We tested DMK-IV with TAMP-20 and TAMP-90, they can work well!

    --David
     
  5. elektrosteve
    Ok and what about the hiss with 32ohm headphones? Am i the only one with such a problem?

    And dont you will use the cs4398?
     
  6. david-gao
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elektrosteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Ok and what about the hiss with 32ohm headphones? Am i the only one with such a problem?

    And dont you will use the cs4398?




    Yes, we never tested the hiss problem with DMK-IV, maybe you can change your headphone and try again! By the way, I use ATH-AD1000

    In the one of future DAC, we will use CS4398, now we are developing another DAC which will use PCM1792! this DAC will be available in two month

    -- david
     
  7. elektrosteve
    Then i would say, test your product before release with some other headphones ; )

    Im sure its because the 32ohm. But at the moment i dont have money for new headphones.
     
  8. david-gao
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elektrosteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Then i would say, test your product before release with some other headphones ; )

    Im sure its because the 32ohm. But at the moment i dont have money for new headphones.





    Yes, we recommend you use headphone which is more than 40 ohm!

    Thanks

    -- david
     
  9. david-gao
    Now we are working at the new DAC which adopt PCM1792, without display, only use several button for switching among several digital audio input(coaxial, USB, optical, AES/EUB) !

    We will try to make it a wonderful pure DAC with high end Sound! Will use OP AMP socket , default OP AMP is OP275, User can replace the OP AMP easily!

    USB will adopt TE7022. which is more better than PCM 270X series!

    -- david gao
     
  10. elektrosteve
    Sounds great. Looking forward to it. Will it be cheaper or more expensive as the dmk iv?
     
  11. david-gao
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elektrosteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Sounds great. Looking forward to it. Will it be cheaper or more expensive as the dmk iv?



    PCM1792 is more high end than CS4396, so it will be better than DMK-IV as a DAC! the price will be similar to DMK-IV! Will have ballanced output!!


    -- david
     
  12. elektrosteve
    Do you have a picture of the possible new design?
     
  13. leeperry
    sounds great! how will the volume control be applied exactly? how is it applied on the DMK-IV? digitally in the CS4398, or resampled afterwards?

    does the front volume control on the DMK-IV also change the line out volume?
     
  14. greenstuffs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by david-gao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    PCM1792 is more high end than CS4396, so it will be better than DMK-IV as a DAC! the price will be similar to DMK-IV! Will have ballanced output!!


    -- david




    Is it a truly dual balanced architecture? Looking forward for it. [​IMG]
     
  15. spartan123
    so, do we get to trade in our old units for the new ones???
     
First
 
Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next
 
Last

Share This Page