REVIEW: HLLY DMK-IV DAC / headphone amp / pre-amp)
Feb 25, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #61 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenstuffs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the display is a very nice touch and that was what draw my attention to the DMK IV and ultimately brought me to this site.
I find it a nice feature being able to display the information more throughly than other units that are more "mechanical" oriented, however i don't know having it on all the time makes me think that the display will eventually burn out one day eventually (being realistic i expect 2-3 yrs of heavy usage) sometimes is just not needed because you are not focused on the unit all the time.

I would like to know if you can implement like the mp3 players, the display goes OFF may be after 30 secs of inactivity, then a few small LEDs that display the basic info, like the source (i.e. usb, coax, spdif) to indicate the unit is running.

That would be a great feature if you can implement that. The 1 knob design is very clever where you can press down for selecting the modes i like it hope it still be there.

I would drop the remote, that is an unnecessary feature IMO because it isn't used much, people will use them on their desk so it'll be arms reach anyways.

I hope the new unit had balanced XLR amped outputs, and of course the DAC XLR out but may be i'm asking too much
biggrin.gif

I think the new DAC should have aesthetics that relates to the DMK IV so you can build your brand identity.

Thanks for your advice!
If you need 1 knob design, the VFD/LCD display is required because it can display more informations!

Any way, we will adopt more advice from some other head-fier and will design a wonderful product soon!

Thanks for everybody's support, Your support is our strength!

-- david

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #62 of 196
I've tried this unit with the AKG K 271, and i have to say that i am very surprised in a positive way, the voices sound so natural and the bass and all the details are there it drives it better than the tube MK IV amp i got.
I can't say the same for HD650, as the tubes drives it better but now i feel like the DMK IV + AKG K271 has an edge over the HD650.
Well it depends a lot of personal preference however my bro in law also found that the AKG blows the HD650.
This is a very nice unit. I think i will try more headphones before i go ahead and switch the opamps as i believe each headphone responds differently to the opamps, at this point i would not swap the opamps as i really like how it sounds with the AKG. I will buy a pair of AKG 702 and see
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #64 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by elektrosteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah the hp amp ist pretty good but it hiss with the superlux hd681 32ohm.

Mine does not hiss, but i have put about 300 hrs to the unit. Also the hiss can come from your music, specially when you are playing mp3s from sources mastered in the 70s and 80s.

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #66 of 196
I would NOT drop the remote... I use mine a lot. My HLLY unit is on a table across from the bed.... so the remote comes in very handy. I feel it is a great feature of the amp.

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #68 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the remote... I use mine a lot.

ah, I'd die for a headamp w/ a remote
biggrin.gif

is it VERY accurate on highly sensitive phones? I guess the volume control runs in the digital domain or is it changing some hardware resistor value of some sort? resampling again
redface.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #70 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by elektrosteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isnt that an socket opamp ?

I was told "DIP8 socket is not for an opamp, it is 24c02."

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #71 of 196
LOl, who cares? it is a 300.00ish amp/dac. The remote is a nice feature when said amp is across the room.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah, I'd die for a headamp w/ a remote
biggrin.gif

is it VERY accurate on highly sensitive phones? I guess the volume control runs in the digital domain or is it changing some hardware resistor value of some sort? resampling again
redface.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #73 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who cares?

I do! my headphones are highly sensitive(32Ω/104dB), I would need the volume control to have very small steps as I like to listen at very low volume
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by david-gao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I replace the 4pcs AD797AR with AD797BR

ouuuuuuuuh, do want
chtiungdor.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #74 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do! my headphones are highly sensitive(32Ω/104dB), I would need the volume control to have very small steps as I like to listen at very low volume
redface.gif

ouuuuuuuuh, do want
chtiungdor.gif

you can also adjust the volume from the computer, i do that because i am lazy
jecklinsmile.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #75 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenstuffs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can also adjust the volume from the computer, i do that because i am lazy
jecklinsmile.gif

well, over S/PDIF it's quite a pain...I've set two hotkeys in uLilith to my Griffin Powermate(volume attenuation is done in 64bit float, so SQ is great), but a small wireless remote would be really neat! OTOH, Reclock doesn't allow volume attenuation, and over S/PDIF no windows volume control whatsoever works on XP...so I'd really looooove to have a small remote for watching movies
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't like LM4562MA, so I prolly wouldn't use the HP amp...but a 4*AD797BR/CS4398 DAC sounds like a plan
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back