[REVIEW] Hippo Gumstick
Oct 10, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #61 of 99

Quote:
p.s. As far as mW output is concerned, the Cube C30 is stated having a MAX9722 Amp with up to 130mW output.

Admittedly I don't understand mW ouput very well, almost every sony DAP I've seen simply states "5mW+5mW" and I doubt the Cube C30 has 13 times the power of a 6 times more expensive Sony.
For the record, S:Flo2 states "L(10mw) +R(10mw)(32Ω)"

My Sanyo PCDP which is my primary DAP at the moment states "5mW+5mW at 32 ohms"
it then continues to state "1Vp-p at 75 ohms, recommended load impedance 75 ohms" in the video output jack.
All I can say is this PCDP is loud, using A-Jays Three (97dB @ 1kHz, 16Ω) listening to a CD I usually select 7 / 32, 15 / 32 is deafening loud.
I listen at loud volumes, for comparison, on my sony gumstick DAP, I can listen at max volume for half an hour or so (30 / 30).

I'm almost scared if I get the CK10's in Singapore I'll just break them with one of these powerful DAP's and my high volume listening habits. =p

CK10 is 55ohms @107db.  Its not going to break either inside or out.  Your ears will break first.

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #62 of 99
Oct 10, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #64 of 99
Trying not to derail the thread any further. My wife and I go to see hedgehogs every week at a local store where they are sold as pets. So I've seen a lot recently. But when I drew the hedgehog, it was in a space where I too had to hedge my creativity into one frightful thrust: I hadn't seen one since I was about 10 years old and still in Sweden. We moved thereafter to the USA and then to Canada. So, for 19 years, I was hedgehog less.

Now, my CK10 works fine fine fine even from powerful home amps (I know I shouldn't, but I do use it to test hiss levels on powerful DAC/amp units). It is flawless with the Gumstcik and the iPod and the S:Flo.

Also remember that a lot of companies fudge their numbers, just as they do in home amp spec. 80mW may or may not be 80mW. It could be 80mW into a different output, or a lie altogether. 

Regarding the CK10; I wish all iem companies had similar resistance in their earphones. The CK10 never drops too low for a lowly DAP to play with good resolution, but it isn't too high either to get lots of volume out of. 55Ω isn't the perfect resistance value -  80Ω pretty much assures 100% resolution from any player, but of course, it means that a lot of daps may not be able to hit theoretical decibel limits (which is perfectly fine). 55 has much less overhead than 22 or 30 or 16. 

Quote:
Well, to me it's obviously a hedgehog, but I didn't realise anyone outside of the UK even knew what one of those looked like so I hedged (geddit?) my bets.....

If you drew that yourself, thats brilliant - I thought it was a professional image.  Kudos to you my spiky friend.

As Elvis sang, "You aint nothing but a hedgehog...."

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #66 of 99
@shigzeo: Did you buy the CK10 again? I thought you sold it off a long time ago. I liked the 55Ω on the CK10 and didn't really get any hiss and wish all manufacturers learn build quality from the CK10
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #69 of 99

Quote:
 No, I just read the specs on the T51 here, since you research internal amps so much though I'll take your word for it houseofdap got the specs wrong (or are cheating) ;p

I won't say HoDAP is cheating, they probably just copied the wrong stuff from the privous T50 spec. The spec I got comes directly from from Teclast website. As shigzeo pointed out, most of these spec are no very reliable since these are chip spec, not real world measured spec. But the practice of using chip spec is very common among Chinese manufacturers, so they don't feel inappropriate in doing so. You might get 80mW in the chip maker reference circuit, but in general you should expect the output to be a bit lower with higher distortion number.

Quote:
Also remember that a lot of companies fudge their numbers, just as they do in home amp spec. 80mW may or may not be 80mW. It could be 80mW into a different output, or a lie altogether.

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #73 of 99
Don't know about 32GB, but it can handle 16GB just fine.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #74 of 99
@ClieOS,are you shure about it?did you try yourself?(16G card?).I tried 8G,when it was empty - initialize was 2-3 mins;after I loaded it - it takes FOREVER;the same thing happens in C30(you can use practically:2G only,bigger takes initialize - forever).In Rockoo - I did not have this problem.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #75 of 99
Yep, I am pretty sure as I tried this afternoon. The initial process took perhaps less than 15 seconds. I have roughly 10GB of stuff on it, though none are music (I use the card for something else). It is a Kingston 16GB Class 2. Also tried a DealExtreme generic 8GB Class 6 with over 2.5GB of music loaded (over 20 albums), no problem at all and the initial process only took about 10 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back