[REVIEW] Hippo Gumstick
Sep 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #17 of 99
Not that high for me, but oh well. I am using it for train rush in the morning, so a player with great utility isn't really going to cut it anyway. I do miss gapless and good ID3 tag browsing. I can't get to albums, so everything has to be created in folders. I still drag and drop from iTunes which is a blessed relief from searching endlessly through my computer's hard disk, but I really wish I could just drag and drop and forget it. Even the S:Flo 2 detects albums mostly fine. 

That fixed and the player would be fine.

The interface is a bit backwards here and there - play not playing, but 'M' does instead, and the navigation buttons doubling again for selections and play buttons - uniquely Chinese/Korean style of design. But apart from that, it is a good unit. Pricey for what it offers, but good.

I should add: hiss isn't bad with this player, but it isn't exemplary either. It is more than my iPod touch, but much less than the HiSound counterpart. This, I feel, is the better player.

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #18 of 99
Thanks for the review. Sound like the usability almost similar to iPod Shuffle although Gumstick comes with screen. Will pay a visit to Jaben soon to try it out myself. Had been relying on measly 4GB Nano 3G for few months.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #21 of 99
I was under the impression that the Rocco-A, gumstick and cube C30 had the same hardware and firmware. Is this not true?

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #25 of 99

Quote:
I'll follow up my impressions with proper review soon enough: full headphone list and of course, RMAA with really hard to drive earphones, just for good measure!

I use my Gumstick everytime I need max portability.  That plus the built in Class A amp is great.  The Gumstick drove the ER4S effortlessly.  I last used it w/ my DBA-02 at a Disturbed/Avenged Sevenfold concert for isolation and good tunes when the opening bands sucked.  I wear it w/ a detachable lanyard around my neck.

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #27 of 99
@ClieOS and shigzeo  Does it pair well with the e-Q7? I was hoping for something that has better separation and details than my clip but most players that do aren't exactly small so I was hoping this could be my replacement.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #28 of 99
Quote:
@ClieOS and shigzeo  Does it pair well with the e-Q7? I was hoping for something that has better separation and details than my clip but most players that do aren't exactly small so I was hoping this could be my replacement.

Pretty well IMO. Between Gumstick and Fuze (which should be about the same sound as clip), I am almost always go with a Gumstick these days.

Oct 8, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #29 of 99
Hi,
I am using clip+ and samsung p2 right now and prefer clip+ for portability.
when I play music thru clip+ with sensitive earphone it sounds good but when i use it with my ANC7 headphone the song is softer. 

will gumstick drive heaadphone nicely too or for headphone i shd be looking at sflow or T51.
i seldom change or touch the settings when i started listening on the move so ui is not a concern for me.

appreciate yor advice pls

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #30 of 99

Quote:
Hi,
I am using clip+ and samsung p2 right now and prefer clip+ for portability.
when I play music thru clip+ with sensitive earphone it sounds good but when i use it with my ANC7 headphone the song is softer. 

will gumstick drive heaadphone nicely too or for headphone i shd be looking at sflow or T51.
i seldom change or touch the settings when i started listening on the move so ui is not a concern for me.

appreciate yor advice pls

Gumstick drives the ER4S quite nicely at 100ohms or so.  What headphone?  The Sflo2 won't drive every headphone out there either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back