[REVIEW] Hippo Gumstick
Oct 8, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #32 of 99
Yeah, the 300 ohm is where you have the problem there (*ER4S=100ohm + 108dB SPL). No doubt partially the fault of the ANC circuit. What you need is not a larger driving force (since you are not driving the headphone directly, but the ANC unit first), but a larger signal. I think a Gumstick might work in this case, as it does sound louder than a Fuze / Clip. But I can't be sure how much better it can get, since I don't own an ANC7.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #33 of 99
ha ha.... i will try it at jaben when i have the chance over the weekend. when i use clip+ & small e3 amp with ANC it's better than direct headphone out. Soundstage becomes wider when i run clip & mini3 amp & M6 earphone, although i am not sure what is the impedence and sensitivity of m6. Mini3 definetely can push the ANC but i am hoping i don't need to amp any of my phones with with the gumstick or sflo2.Thanks for the input so far.

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #34 of 99
I won't be treating the Gumstick to a proper review listen for another week, but it is impressive - more so than the Clip or Fuze at least in some metrics. For overall use, however, it is walked all over by either of them and that is saying a lot because I really really hate the Fuze.

No dedicated volume buttons unlike the Clip puts this way back.
No RB, so no gapless
backward backward navigation system
strange reset of EQ settings at almost every sync
No real ID3 Tag support - you have to make folders to really use your music - forget simple drag and drop from Finder or your favourite software
cannot see the screen at all outside in the day time - this is amazing - horrible to a TTTTTTT

But, there is less hiss than the Fuze more smooth than either the clip or fuze, and the thing has way better USB than Fuze (proprietary cable)

Quote:
@ClieOS and shigzeo  Does it pair well with the e-Q7? I was hoping for something that has better separation and details than my clip but most players that do aren't exactly small so I was hoping this could be my replacement.

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #35 of 99

Quote:
I won't be treating the Gumstick to a proper review listen for another week, but it is impressive - more so than the Clip or Fuze at least in some metrics. For overall use, however, it is walked all over by either of them and that is saying a lot because I really really hate the Fuze.

No dedicated volume buttons unlike the Clip puts this way back.
No RB, so no gapless
backward backward navigation system
strange reset of EQ settings at almost every sync
No real ID3 Tag support - you have to make folders to really use your music - forget simple drag and drop from Finder or your favourite software
cannot see the screen at all outside in the day time - this is amazing - horrible to a TTTTTTT

But, there is less hiss than the Fuze more smooth than either the clip or fuze, and the thing has way better USB than Fuze (proprietary cable)

You can almost buy 3 Clip for the price of one Gumstick. It's not really a fair fight, is it? Let's say one has budget of $130, between "Hippo Gumstick + Hippo VB Bundle" and "Clip + Audio Technica ATH-AD700", which is the better combination?

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #36 of 99

Quote:
You can almost buy 3 Clip for the price of one Gumstick. It's not really a fair fight, is it? Let's say one has budget of $130, between "Hippo Gumstick + Hippo VB Bundle" and "Clip + Audio Technica ATH-AD700", which is the better combination?

Can 3 Clips be better underdriving an ER4S or something harder when all you need is one Gumstick to do the job.  A Clip w/ any amp is still bigger and less portable than one Gumstick.  Which is better now?

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #37 of 99
ahh the fuze rocks! 

Quote:

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #38 of 99

Quote:
Can 3 Clips be better underdriving an ER4S or something harder when all you need is one Gumstick to do the job.  A Clip w/ any amp is still bigger and less portable than one Gumstick.  Which is better now?

Can we keep the size small, please? If size does not matter, in ClieOS's verdict, he already concluded, "So Gumstick doesn’t turn out to be equal or better than s:flo2".
When one already has a decent earphones, $100 can buy this Gumstick. When one does not have a decent earphones, there may be a better way to get the best out of his money; thus why I had my earlier suggestion - on second though (size does matter), ""Hippo Gumstick + Hippo VB Bundle" vs "Clip + Panasonic HJE-900" should be a better comparison. 

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #39 of 99

Quote:

Can we keep the size small, please? If size does not matter, in ClieOS's verdict, he already concluded, "So Gumstick doesn’t turn out to be equal or better than s:flo2".
When one already has a decent earphones, $100 can buy this Gumstick. When one does not have a decent earphones, there may be a better way to get the best out of his money; thus why I had my earlier suggestion - on second though (size does matter), ""Hippo Gumstick + Hippo VB Bundle" vs "Clip + Panasonic HJE-900" should be a better comparison. 

??  I think you missed the point that the Clip limits your options to what IEMs you can use.  The Gumstick does not and can power some headphones.  That's when the price of the Gumstick makes sense.  Plus the Clip and gumstick take up about the same Area and Volume.  One has a Class A amp, the other does not. 

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #40 of 99
Pound for pound, I think Clip (or even Fuze) is a better buy. Gumstick is for those already looking pass Clip's SQ and demand something better sounding and equally small sized, yet don't mind to work with the simplest (feature wise) of DAP. It is not a sleek player, and if you ever want a sleek player, just go brand name.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #41 of 99
According to some owners, the gumstick is warmer and not as clear as the fuze or clip. I can't call that "better sounding" or whatever..... In fact, it is worse for me. And having an amp is no big deal. I also doubt 80 mW can drive an ER4P/S properly.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #42 of 99
really doubt the clip stands a chance if the fuze needs an amp to be on par with the gumstick. Warmness isn't necessarily bad, my sflo2 is warmer than my 2g touch but the sflo2 is leaps and bounds better. 

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #43 of 99

Quote:
According to some owners, the gumstick is warmer and not as clear as the fuze or clip. I can't call that "better sounding" or whatever..... In fact, it is worse for me. And having an amp is no big deal. I also doubt 80 mW can drive an ER4P/S properly.

It is a touch warmer.  Wanna bet?  I had the ER4S w/ the Gumstick for sometime.  Sorry but the Clip is not able to drive my favorite IEMs to their best potential, it needs more power to my ears.  I don't like thin music.  My DBA is acceptable out of the Clip but has better body amp'd.  Don't even ask about my MDs plugged into a Clip let alone a basic Grado or other headphone.  Is it just me or are most people really hung up on FR and nothing else?

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #44 of 99
well, I don't think you understood my post. Trying to explain it is like trying to explain a bad joke. If you are in a betting mood, I suggest you go to Las Vegas.

Quote:
It is a touch warmer.  Wanna bet?  I had the ER4S w/ the Gumstick for sometime.  Sorry but the Clip is not able to drive my favorite IEMs to their best potential, it needs more power to my ears.  I don't like thin music.  My DBA is acceptable out of the Clip but has better body amp'd.  Don't even ask about my MDs plugged into a Clip let alone a basic Grado or other headphone.  Is it just me or are most people really hung up on FR and nothing else?

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #45 of 99

Quote:
well, I don't think you understood my post. Trying to explain it is like trying to explain a bad joke. If you are in a betting mood, I suggest you go to Las Vegas.

I think you just explained it perfectly, lol.  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back