[REVIEW] HifiMan RE262 – A Beautiful Voice
Nov 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #16 of 86
As always, a good read, thanks. I agree a lot.

Though I had to sell this because I had no money, I would buy these again when I have a chance. It was very impressive.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #17 of 86

Quote:
I used them with the shuffle 3G for a little bit. It went plenty loud and sounded fine. However with an amp it does improve esp in the bass. Bass quality is much better amped than without. Although I wonder how long the clip+ battery will last with the RE262.

oh hmm alright, that doesnt sound too bad. i was more worried about the highs lacking without an amp. clieos iirc you have a clip, what domyou think about this?

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #18 of 86
Quote:
oh hmm alright, that doesnt sound too bad. i was more worried about the highs lacking without an amp. clieos iirc you have a clip, what domyou think about this?

I have a Fuze, not clip. It is pretty much the same as rawster has said, the bass becomes sloppy with Fuze. I guess it will be the same with clip.

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #19 of 86

If your interested in an amp, i use to own a RSA Shadow that is almost the same size as the Clip+ making it an ultraportable rig. Seeings the high impedance this phone has ,IMO i don't think it would hurt to get a nice amp to get a little more headroom in clean power to the phones.The Shadow is a great amp also with excellent SQ.
Quote:
Can you elaborate a little more on listening to the RE262 driven straight from a Clip+?
I'm trying to decide whether or not to invest in a portable amp. I'm kind of leaning towards not, but it bothers me if I can't get all the RE262 has to offer.

I used to lug an amp around until I realized how ridiculous it was considering how much portability I gave up just for a marginal increase in SQ,  and I vowed never to do it again...

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #20 of 86
Just bought myself a pair of these
bigsmile_face.gif

Unless hifiman releases an even better iem , i will stop now and enjoy my zero/252/262 threesome
jecklinsmile.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 86
I just had to come here to say the soundstage and 3D imaging on these really are something! I've never heard something like this before. There's a surprisingly amount of airiness in these as well despite being meaty and mid-centric.

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #22 of 86
Quote:
I just had to come here to say the soundstage and 3D imaging on these really are something! I've never heard something like this before. There's a surprisingly amount of airiness in these as well despite being meaty and mid-centric.

Yep, it is indeed surprisingly to find such good a soundstage on that kind of sound, consider that it is fuller closed and not as leaky as the Radius W Pro.

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #23 of 86
The first thing I noticed with the RE262 when I listened to them was the sound stage. I wasn't expecting such a large sound stage coming from them. If only they were a bit more efficient I might take them on my portable setup

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #24 of 86
Still flirting with the idea of getting an amp to power these buggers. I was initially looking at the Mini3, Headsix, but due to size constraints am now looking at the Minibox-ES and T3. Can you give any insight to how the RE262 responds to amping from the T3?

Also, are there other small form factor amps (<$150) that I overlooked? I know the RSA Shadow, ALO RX, Arrow, and Pico Slim exist, but they are way out of my budget.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #25 of 86
I'll say RE262 pairs fairly well with T3 synergy wise, and it has adequate power to handle the IEM., I think T3 is going to be as good as you can get If it is going to be ultra-portable and less than $150

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #26 of 86
I think that Minibox ES combo Fang has up with the RE0 included would be a pretty tempting offer esp since the prices would be a lot closer once you sell the RE0 but still would be more expensive. The T3 did a good job and works well esp with your clip+. The size of the T3 should pretty much match up to the clip+ and that makes a setup that is pretty portable and much better than a large amp and a small dap.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #27 of 86
From the limited impressions that are out there, the Minibox-ES does seem to be a bit more powerful and better overall. IIRC, marroyo stated it can hold its ground with amps costing over 2x as much. Also, it has an 18V power source, which should provide plenty of voltage swing for the 150 ohm impedance of the RE262s.

However, it is about $50 more expensive (assuming a RE0 resell), much larger, and also battery life can drop to between 10-15 hours of actual usage, which pales in comparison with the T3's 38 hours. I've heard the T3 is no slouch either though, beating out amps costing much more, so maybe the differences between the two won't be too much.

Darn you head-fi! Now I have the urge to purchase both and see which I personally prefer 
angry_face.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #28 of 86
Slightly update to mention about the new design (with TRRS and such), and a new rating.

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #29 of 86

Quote:
Slightly update to mention about the new design (with TRRS and such), and a new rating.

Are you sure the housing is metal? Well it kinda looks like but I was not entirely sure (though I will know for sure when i get it).

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #30 of 86
Actually I am not 100% sure myself, but it certainly doesn't look plastic anymore on the picture. Well, I'll contact Fang for confirmation, not that it affects my rating as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back