REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Feb 27, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #1,276 of 1,534
Quote:
You must have A TON of songs on your 601. Any tips on navigating the device. I find the user interface not too user friendly when wanting to find specific songs.

As all the albums are lossless, it gets filled up easily. User interface is real pain. I generally listen to one or two albums a max in a listening session. I don't mix the albums. Hence didn't find that as a hindrance.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #1,277 of 1,534
Quote:

As all the albums are lossless, it gets filled up easily. User interface is real pain. I generally listen to one or two albums a max in a listening session. I don't mix the albums. Hence didn't find that as a hindrance.

That's not a bad idea..as my songs are all from random places, they're all over the place. I guess i'll start organizing by album or some sort of folder.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,278 of 1,534
Quote:
That's not a bad idea..as my songs are all from random places, they're all over the place. I guess i'll start organizing by album or some sort of folder.

that's what I do, and no 64gb cards hate me...

still I use a 32gb a 16gb and a 4gb card I have a case that carries the hm601 and its sd cards [a smallish case] 

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #1,279 of 1,534
Had a chance to setup my HM-601 in my car. I have a Alpine CDA-9887 HU, Sinus Live 5 channel amp and HAT Unity speakers. The speakers are running active with the Alpine 988. The sub is also a Sinus Live 10" sealed one. The overall setup is almost neutral. Slightly on the brighter side after i had switched to Active from Passive. I have connected the HM-601 with using a Ai-net aux cable (bit cheapo..need to get a better cable).

With the HM-601, i can see a big roll off in highs. A roll off which can't be corrected in EQ. This has a direct impact on the width of the sound stage. But, the quality of mid range and bass is phenomenal. The vocals are sublime. The quantity of bass has increased. The quality is also darn good. It is almost like listening to a setup with tube amp. An unique signature that is beautiful for certain vocal centric genres.

I have to admit that i was very disappointed initially with the big roll of in highs. But, over time i recognized that brighter music is like a coffee with extra spoon of sure. It tastes wonderful initially. But, you loose the interest for sugar and slowly you start to enjoy the flavor of coffee without sugar.

This is certainly not for all. It has its quirks and apparent weakness. But in the right genre, nothing brings out the emotions out of music like this.

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #1,280 of 1,534
Quote:
Had a chance to setup my HM-601 in my car. I have a Alpine CDA-9887 HU, Sinus Live 5 channel amp and HAT Unity speakers. The speakers are running active with the Alpine 988. The sub is also a Sinus Live 10" sealed one. The overall setup is almost neutral. Slightly on the brighter side after i had switched to Active from Passive. I have connected the HM-601 with using a Ai-net aux cable (bit cheapo..need to get a better cable).

With the HM-601, i can see a big roll off in highs. A roll off which can't be corrected in EQ. This has a direct impact on the width of the sound stage. But, the quality of mid range and bass is phenomenal. The vocals are sublime. The quantity of bass has increased. The quality is also darn good. It is almost like listening to a setup with tube amp. An unique signature that is beautiful for certain vocal centric genres.

I have to admit that i was very disappointed initially with the big roll of in highs. But, over time i recognized that brighter music is like a coffee with extra spoon of sure. It tastes wonderful initially. But, you loose the interest for sugar and slowly you start to enjoy the flavor of coffee without sugar.

This is certainly not for all. It has its quirks and apparent weakness. But in the right genre, nothing brings out the emotions out of music like this.

yuppers, it's a nice compliment to bright cans as it fattens em up without making them obese! So A bright lean set up will benifit from the warmth the hm brings, as your aware of :D 

May 12, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #1,281 of 1,534
The headphone jack on mine is too tight a fit for every headphone I have. I've had it longer than 2 years.  Anybody else having this problem?

EDIT: Nevermind. Maybe it miraculously expanded within these couple of weeks. All better now.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,282 of 1,534
is the newest revision (slim 8GB) improved comapring to the old one ? I heard some of hm-601 were noisy - electronic noise from inside that was hearable in the headphones, software bugs etc

can hm-601 use 4 pin balanced TRS plug from my current hifiman headphones (separated GNDs) ? anyway, I am gonna use line out and external amps (Lyr, EF-5) to drive my headphones ...

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,283 of 1,534
Quote:
is the newest revision (slim 8GB) improved comapring to the old one ? I heard some of hm-601 were noisy - electronic noise from inside that was hearable in the headphones, software bugs etc

can hm-601 use 4 pin balanced TRS plug from my current hifiman headphones (separated GNDs) ? anyway, I am gonna use line out and external amps (Lyr, EF-5) to drive my headphones ...

I miss my hm601... good to see there are a lot of them on the market! 

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #1,285 of 1,534
Thought I would let you all know that I am having luck using my 601 with a 128GB card. It must be formatted fat32 not xfat which is a little tricky. I have it full of my ripped (flac) cd's the album section does not work but this is probably an issue with my tags rather than the card. I simply browse to the Album via sd card, this however is also a little annoying as they are listed in order the folders are created not alphabetical. There really should be an option to change the sort order for folders! I guess I will look at my tags at some point but re tagging 128gb of music is not an a great thought.

The brand was PNY SDXC 128gb class10 got on special for $79.99 from amazon

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,286 of 1,534
Quote:
Thought I would let you all know that I am having luck using my 601 with a 128GB card. It must be formatted fat32 not xfat which is a little tricky. I have it full of my ripped (flac) cd's the album section does not work but this is probably an issue with my tags rather than the card. I simply browse to the Album via sd card, this however is also a little annoying as they are listed in order the folders are created not alphabetical. There really should be an option to change the sort order for folders! I guess I will look at my tags at some point but re tagging 128gb of music is not an a great thought.

Oh nice man, that's good to know... and man that's a great deal there on a great DAP with a HUGE Library. Still I used to have a mini case for mine that held a couple of 32gb SD Cards 

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #1,287 of 1,534
Quote:

Great advice. I bought the same PNY SDXC 128gb Class 10 on Amazon (although it was closer to $100). I formatted it to Fat32 with guiformat.exe. It is working perfectly with my Rockboxed 601S. I have 110gb of Lame 320kbps files all being accessed perfectly and about 10gb of free space remaining.

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #1,288 of 1,534

Great advice. I bought the same PNY SDXC 128gb Class 10 on Amazon (although it was closer to $100). I formatted it to Fat32 with guiformat.exe. It is working perfectly with my Rockboxed 601S. I have 110gb of Lame 320kbps files all being accessed perfectly and about 10gb of free space remaining.

Thanks!

How easy was it to Rockbox your 601? What advantages does it confer?

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,289 of 1,534
Quote:
How easy was it to Rockbox your 601? What advantages does it confer?

Second question first: The advantages to me are too numerous to mention. Most important is gapless playback
size]

In more general terms you are going from a B-/C+ interface (Hifiman OF isn't terrible but it isn't great either) to an A+ interface. Rockbox is the best that there is. Years of devotion from an open source community will do that for you.

As for the first question: It is very easy if you use the...

[size=16.799999237060547px] Alternative way[/size]

Windows
  1. Extract the rockbox build (rockbox-hifimanhm*.zip) on sd card of your device.
  2. Download and install PowerISO. Free unregistered version would be enough. Or you can use any analagous program, which could edit image files with FAT filesystem.
  3. Open OF image file (HM-601.IMG, HM-801,... ) in PowerISO? program.
  4. Copy BASE.RKW file from SYSTEM folder in image to the .rockbox folder on sd card.
  5. Replace BASE.RKW in OF image with bootloader.rkw (Rename booloader.rkw to BASE.RKW and replace original BASE.RKW in SYSTEM and SYSTEM00 folders).
  6. Save changes and put derived IMG file into internal storage of your player.
  7. Reboot your player

Just download the files and follow the instructions step by step. All found here:  http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/HifimanPort

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #1,290 of 1,534
I did rockbox my HM-601. But, only the stock firmware is loading after the initial rockbox messages. Am i missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back