REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,216 of 1,534
Quote:
Planning to get a JDSlabs C241 slim to go with my 601. Any opinions on this potential setup?

oooh, I that should be nice! I though of doing that with my DT 880, the OPA2227 in the c421 [or the dual OPA2227] are very warm chips so they should compliment the already warm NOS DAC in the Hm-601. BE WARE THOUGH, I might not use a warm Amp with an already warm DAP UNLESS your headphones are them selvs TRANSPARENT or cold! The Hm-601 is REALLY good with Cold-> neutral cans! Anything that already has RICH mids might sound kinda bad <3

Still :D I want to get that one my self! I got an Indeed G3 with a 6992 EH and it sounded very nice! Simmilar to my cMoy but with a little better deail in the bass and a little more highs! 

Still C421 should be a nice match,

and the Hm-601 is a GREAT dap, it had more Bass Response than my old iPod Nano 3d gen! 

but DO NOT USE THE Hm601 EQ... it's VERY well VERY COLORED... BADLY COLORED. Stick with "no eq'' but optimally use the LIne out when using the Hm-601 with an amp! 

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #1,217 of 1,534
I found the price different is very big approx. $150.
For example:
HM-601 Slim(8G) Portable Player $249
HM-602 Slim(8G) Portable Player $399

What are the major differences in term of sound quality between HM-601 (slim) vs HM-602 (slim)?
Which is a better choice to drive DT880 or AKG K550?

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #1,219 of 1,534
Quote:
Anyone can recommend a battery replacement? I found some only minimum order size about 100-1000 sets.

I actually opened up the player completely. It seems like a very easy process of replacing the battery (if you can find one). Can you give me the link for the battery? I want to see the specification so I can look into getting a bigger one to improve the battery life.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #1,220 of 1,534
Battery size is 7.5mm*55mm*60mm.
3.7v, seems to be 2600mAh. I can't give a link right now, try google "3,7v 755560"
Customer service said that their policy is to change batteries by them, 40$ + 17.5$ delivery. But they deny shipping battery to change it by yourself, even if it is not an guarantee case, and you have to pay.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #1,223 of 1,534
I'm going to open it up to measure exactly how much space is in there. I love the DAP, but the battery just suck too much. I will find a bigger battery that fit and test it out. I ordered few of these usb battery pack (including the one below). I'm going to open them up and see if they come with good size battery to jam into the 602.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000mAh-2-USB-output-Power-Bank-External-Battery-Pack-for-ipad-iphone-Mobile-/270988783171?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3f1830ae43

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #1,224 of 1,534
I recently purchased the HM-601 from a member here, I have had about 20 minutes listening time so far. I was rather impressed especially with the line out. I'll have some updates over a few days how I think it compares with Colorfly C3.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #1,225 of 1,534
Quote:
I recently purchased the HM-601 from a member here, I have had about 20 minutes listening time so far. I was rather impressed especially with the line out. I'll have some updates over a few days how I think it compares with Colorfly C3.

Using the line out? Now you'll have to upgrade  your amp....
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #1,227 of 1,534
Dec 28, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #1,228 of 1,534
Looks good! 
After all, a humble E5 with the other devices you love simply wouldn't do.:wink:

The E5 was purchased as a test subject for my CK4+ line out originally . I thought rather than purchase an amp straight up spending $100 trial the line out first, and E5 accomplished that test well. I have no intentions of keeping it paired, as I believe I'm probably downgrading the SQ using it with these players line out. That C&C BH is being praised higher then E11 and CmoyBB by a few members here though remains so far a quite achiever. It's matter of how much clarity and transpreancy it can maintain. 300mw +300mw with 80 hours from a charge? Hmm let's see. I have reasons for staying away from E11, I won't mention them because the FiiO fanboys will eat me alive.

I can say that HM-601 sounds cleaner from the line out and is becoming rather warm whilst charging it now. It's rather full sounding you can hear the internal amp section much more than with something like CK4+. Fuller warmer sound with very nice bass quantity, a touch less crisp in the mid range then the Colorflys. I'll have more soon.

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,229 of 1,534
After spending a few days now with HM-601 I'm truly enjoying this DAP, I don't know if it would be for everyone, there's certainly a unique flavour of warmth, however this really agrees with me, I find myself being absorbed / drawn to the addictive signature. (yes it's very addictive) 601's warmth works especially well with my pop albums, some older rock/pop albums like Bon Jovi, ambient genre's and EDM, even hip hop sounds good. I'm really digging the full bodied low end, drum presentation especially needs a note. it's surely welcome coming from the two Colorfly players previously. I can't say this player excels in soundstage or imaging, it's feels to me a different concept a fuller upfront sig, it gives something different from the usual air and space I'd find from C3 and CK4+ . A different approach entirely.

Last night I was listening to Bon Jovi greatest hits! these are tracks I would play on cassette back in the day and know very well. What 601 presentation / flavour reminds me of... and this is the best way I can describe it - 601 sounds to me like a really really really high quality tape player, this is not a bad thing at all, it's welcome indeed over the digtal sounding players I'm used too. Clear, clarity, separation is all there, I honestly felt like I was reliving my childhood albums on the best tape player ever made! I had the volume cranked up loud (about 8) Mr Bon screaming in my ears, guitars grinding, drums slamming, the player was getting really hot! all this contributed to an awesome experience.

Loudness, hot DAP's, vocals screaming, it was a ball! A moment I won't forget.

Anything from the 80's that you listened to on cassette will sound great on 601!

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,230 of 1,534

After spending a few days now with HM-601 I'm truly enjoying this DAP, I don't know if it would be for everyone, there's certainly a unique flavour of warmth, however this really agrees with me, I find myself being absorbed / drawn to the addictive signature. (yes it's very addictive) 601's warmth works especially well with my pop albums, some older rock/pop albums like Bon Jovi, ambient genre's and EDM, even hip hop sounds good. I'm really digging the full bodied low end, drum presentation especially needs a note. it's surely welcome coming from the two Colorfly players previously. I can't say this player excels in soundstage or imaging, it's feels to me a different concept a fuller upfront sig, it gives something different from the usual air and space I'd find from C3 and CK4+ . A different approach entirely.
Last night I was listening to Bon Jovi greatest hits! these are tracks I would play on cassette back in the day and know very well. What 601 presentation / flavour reminds me of... and this is the best way I can describe it - 601 sounds to me like a really really really high quality tape player, this is not a bad thing at all, it's welcome indeed over the digtal sounding players I'm used too. Clear, clarity, separation is all there, I honestly felt like I was reliving my childhood albums on the best tape player ever made! I had the volume cranked up loud (about 8) Mr Bon screaming in my ears, guitars grinding, drums slamming, the player was getting really hot! all this contributed to an awesome experience.
Loudness, hot DAP's, vocals screaming, it was a ball! A moment I won't forget.
Anything from the 80's that you listened to on cassette will sound great on 601!

Let say if you play the similar Bon Jovi's songs, which one has a wider sound stage and separation, C3 or HM 601?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back