REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 2, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,202 of 1,534
Quote:
How about DT1350? Is it worth the money? Does it pair well with 601?

I'd like to know that my self actually, I can say this, the Byer House sound is nice on the 601, the 601 has a warm tubey DAC and the Byer Cans all really shine from that extra warmth, O have the Dt 880 250 and I like it out of my Hifiman [PLEASE USE THE LINE OUT] I would also like to try ther Dt 1350, looking at the Frq Response, I would say maybe...

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #1,203 of 1,534
HM601 slim with:

MTPC: sounds good, bass is tight and not overwhelming, very clear..really brings out the vocals in music, very upfront...making soundstage not too good but still acceptable
Grado SR60: Didn't like this pairing too much...just didn't sound right
Ultrasone PRO550: I actually like this combo a lot...everything just seems right..BUT it does not do too well with hip hop and boomy music (surprising cause this is suppose to be a bass heavy headphone). Soundstage is pretty good...very airy for a closed headphone.
DT990 600ohms: Didn't like this pairing at all...but no surprise here since it is a hard to drive headphone. I usually drive my DT990 out of a Hifiman EF5 + Bifrost so it's a no brainer
AKG K702: Don't think i'm even going to bother trying this..i already have a good hunch the pairing's going to be bad
Remolded TF10: Waiting on Fischer InEarz for delivery
1964ears Triple: Waiting on delivery.

edit: I take back what i said about the PRO500 with hip hop music...it actually sounds pretty good. I was just playing lo-res hip hop music.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #1,204 of 1,534
Quote:
HM601 slim with:

MTPC: sounds good, bass is tight and not overwhelming, very clear..really brings out the vocals in music, very upfront...making soundstage not too good but still acceptable
Grado SR60: Didn't like this pairing too much...just didn't sound right
Ultrasone PRO550: I actually like this combo a lot...everything just seems right..BUT it does not do too well with hip hop and boomy music (surprising cause this is suppose to be a bass heavy headphone). Soundstage is pretty good...very airy for a closed headphone.
DT990 600ohms: Didn't like this pairing at all...but no surprise here since it is a hard to drive headphone. I usually drive my DT990 out of a Hifiman EF5 + Bifrost so it's a no brainer
AKG K702: Don't think i'm even going to bother trying this..i already have a good hunch the pairing's going to be bad
Remolded TF10: Waiting on Fischer InEarz for delivery
1964ears Triple: Waiting on delivery.

edit: I take back what i said about the PRO500 with hip hop music...it actually sounds pretty good. I was just playing lo-res hip hop music.

I want to try the DT 990 Pro 250 ohm with my HM601 [mine is not the Slim, Mines nice n chunky] I have teh 880 in 250 ohms so I'm confident the cMoy 2x9V and the Hm601 should drive the 990 250, as well as it does the 880.

But the Hm601 is rather warm, with good bass and clear Highs. I would think headphones with an already forward and warm sound wouldn't sound right. Which is good, cuz I want to Drive a Grado SR60i out of my lifeless Android phone lol

Still I've yet to try the Hifiman with my Xb700s [extensivly an with Line out+e11] but as soon as I sell my Zune, going to get a 32gb SD card for all the Dub Step that was on the Zune, since the Hifiman can well reaplce the zune :D and for only $21 [price of a 32gb class 4 SD card] ^^ 

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,205 of 1,534
Quote:
I want to try the DT 990 Pro 250 ohm with my HM601 [mine is not the Slim, Mines nice n chunky] I have teh 880 in 250 ohms so I'm confident the cMoy 2x9V and the Hm601 should drive the 990 250, as well as it does the 880.

But the Hm601 is rather warm, with good bass and clear Highs. I would think headphones with an already forward and warm sound wouldn't sound right. Which is good, cuz I want to Drive a Grado SR60i out of my lifeless Android phone lol

Still I've yet to try the Hifiman with my Xb700s [extensivly an with Line out+e11] but as soon as I sell my Zune, going to get a 32gb SD card for all the Dub Step that was on the Zune, since the Hifiman can well reaplce the zune :D and for only $21 [price of a 32gb class 4 SD card] ^^ 

I think the 601 should have enough juice for your 880 250 ohms. It does have quit a lot of power packed in it..just not a lot to drive some really demanding headphones. Does adding a separate amp(your cMoy or a e11) through the line out make a noticeable change?

Yea it's everything you said...warm, good bass, and clear highs. But i guess that's to be expected since the DAC is suppose to have a "vintage" signature. No comparison between an android phone vs the 601. My 601 absolutely destroys my galaxy S3. 

I hear many good things about the Zune..how does it stack up against the 601?

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,206 of 1,534
Quote:
I think the 601 should have enough juice for your 880 250 ohms. It does have quit a lot of power packed in it..just not a lot to drive some really demanding headphones. Does adding a separate amp(your cMoy or a e11) through the line out make a noticeable change?

Yea it's everything you said...warm, good bass, and clear highs. But i guess that's to be expected since the DAC is suppose to have a "vintage" signature. No comparison between an android phone vs the 601. My 601 absolutely destroys my galaxy S3. 

I hear many good things about the Zune..how does it stack up against the 601?

Yea there is enough power out of the Hm601 without the cMoy, but the cMoy really just adds onto the sound from the Hm601's Nos [size=small]TDA1543 DAC. My cMoy has bass boost which is nice. And YES the Line out is AMAZING. There is A LOT of detail and a much more warm open sound from the Line out than the Headphone out... [/size]

[size=small]The Zune sounds Dark and a little cold compared to the Hm 601. Hence is why I'm selling my Zune. The Zune is GREAT for really FUN Bass Head cans, but not enough to justify having it when I can buy a 32gb SD card for the Hifiman. Still the Zune is a great PMP it does video and audio really well, and the UI is one of the BEST I've ever used... trust me ZUNE ui DESTROYS Apple. It's MUCH more organized and better looking then the Ugly iPod. In fact I like teh ZUNE ui so much I want a windows phone...[/size]

[size=small]Still the Zune is Colder, and the Hm601 is warmer. The Zune is nice for colored cans [which many consumer cans are] where as the Hm601's realistic warmth makes a GREAT complimient to VERY transparent cans [ppl complain about the Dt 880 not having enough mids... which I never notice because the Hm601 and cMoy have such a beautifully Lush Mid presentation :D[/size]] 

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,207 of 1,534
Quote:
Yea there is enough power out of the Hm601 without the cMoy, but the cMoy really just adds onto the sound from the Hm601's Nos [size=small]TDA1543 DAC. My cMoy has bass boost which is nice. And YES the Line out is AMAZING. There is A LOT of detail and a much more warm open sound from the Line out than the Headphone out... [/size]

[size=small]The Zune sounds Dark and a little cold compared to the Hm 601. Hence is why I'm selling my Zune. The Zune is GREAT for really FUN Bass Head cans, but not enough to justify having it when I can buy a 32gb SD card for the Hifiman. Still the Zune is a great PMP it does video and audio really well, and the UI is one of the BEST I've ever used... trust me ZUNE ui DESTROYS Apple. It's MUCH more organized and better looking then the Ugly iPod. In fact I like teh ZUNE ui so much I want a windows phone...[/size]

[size=small]Still the Zune is Colder, and the Hm601 is warmer. The Zune is nice for colored cans [which many consumer cans are] where as the Hm601's realistic warmth makes a GREAT complimient to VERY transparent cans [ppl complain about the Dt 880 not having enough mids... which I never notice because the Hm601 and cMoy have such a beautifully Lush Mid presentation :D[/size]] 

Hmm i should consider an external amp for mine. My friend was looking into the Pico Slim but that'll probably be way too overkill so i figure the Fiio E11 would be a pretty good bet. But the cMoy looks pretty good too...trying to stay within my low budget haha. 

I considered a Zune in the past but they're not as easy to find in Canada anymore so that was out of the option for me.

Have you tried the HM601 line out with the e11? If so, how does it fare against the cMoy?

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,208 of 1,534
Quote:
Hmm i should consider an external amp for mine. My friend was looking into the Pico Slim but that'll probably be way too overkill so i figure the Fiio E11 would be a pretty good bet. But the cMoy looks pretty good too...trying to stay within my low budget haha. 

I considered a Zune in the past but they're not as easy to find in Canada anymore so that was out of the option for me.

Have you tried the HM601 line out with the e11? If so, how does it fare against the cMoy?

Bah, selling my zune for like 2/3's what I paid for it. I get the feed Back+ here and some one elese can enjoy it!

Hmm lemmie listen to the Hifiman and E11 with my Bass cans *listens* DANG, I don't 100% remember what the ZUNE HD sounded like... but I listened to a track called "Bracelet" by Fat Jon and man... it had some seriously DEEP kick to it [which the song has]

The E11 is 100% a better EDM match for the Hifiman, I tried listening with the cMoy BB [with BB on] and the sound was more full and lush but the bass was just a little less impactful and detailed. So the cMoy is GREAT for SUPER tight transparent cans like my DT 880s [they already have a 99% flat line bass response"] where as with already colored fun cans, like my XB700 the E11 is the winner. And I only use line out [which as you know gives you like a 4-5 hour battery life xD] 

The Zune ofc has like a 20 hour battery life... with the volume on maximum >.> but that's ok I don't mind Charging my Hifiman every 2 days e.e

so cMoy for Transparent cans, and E11 for Fun Colored cans. Both sound good out of the Hifimans line out

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #1,209 of 1,534
Quote:
Bah, selling my zune for like 2/3's what I paid for it. I get the feed Back+ here and some one elese can enjoy it!

Hmm lemmie listen to the Hifiman and E11 with my Bass cans *listens* DANG, I don't 100% remember what the ZUNE HD sounded like... but I listened to a track called "Bracelet" by Fat Jon and man... it had some seriously DEEP kick to it [which the song has]

The E11 is 100% a better EDM match for the Hifiman, I tried listening with the cMoy BB [with BB on] and the sound was more full and lush but the bass was just a little less impactful and detailed. So the cMoy is GREAT for SUPER tight transparent cans like my DT 880s [they already have a 99% flat line bass response"] where as with already colored fun cans, like my XB700 the E11 is the winner. And I only use line out [which as you know gives you like a 4-5 hour battery life xD] 

The Zune ofc has like a 20 hour battery life... with the volume on maximum >.> but that's ok I don't mind Charging my Hifiman every 2 days e.e

so cMoy for Transparent cans, and E11 for Fun Colored cans. Both sound good out of the Hifimans line out

Hmm from what you say i think i'd favor the cMoy a bit more than the e11. While i do like hip hop and a wide range of songs i tend to like more musical songs rather than bass heavy songs. 

Oh wow the line-out uses more battery life? I assumed that since the amp function wouldn't be used in the 601 it'd save more battery life but i guess not =/ but that's not an issue since i charge my 601 when i get home.

Hahah this isn't a cheap hobby...my friends think i'm dumb for spending so much on something that only plays music =_=" I suppose on the bright side the cMoy is relatively cheap compared to other amps. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #1,210 of 1,534
Quote:

i'm getting 7-8 hours through headphone out. volume at 4/10

i think it's not possible if the line out consumes more power as long as you set the volume to 0

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #1,211 of 1,534
Quote:

i'm getting 7-8 hours through headphone out. volume at 4/10

i think it's not possible if the line out consumes more power as long as you set the volume to 0

yea 4/10 is headphone out. Trust me the Line Out sounds better and amps better

and I have one thing to say... the Hm-601 has some TIGHT SUB BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Compared to my zune,.the Hm-601 has a MUCH TIGHTER bass and a lot less coloring of the Bass... teh Zune sounds muddy overly dark n bloated... AND I'm using the same cans songs and amp xD. but MAN... the Hm-601 is TIGHT  which is nice because that means that it's a nice clean bass sound, that lets me enjoy my sub bass on my sub cans and will let me enjoy my Mid bass on my soon to come mid cans :D... just need a digger SD card xD

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,212 of 1,534
Hi Guys i have been searching high and low for a player that is of audiophile quality and comes with a lineout...
i'm seriously considering to get the HM601 for myself as a christmas present... 
Currently i'm using ipod classic->voyager->Superfi EBs
Do you all think it will be a good match for my voyager and Superfi EBs?

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,213 of 1,534
here i hope that someday, really soon, rockbox would be able to be perfectly implemented in this player without reducing its battery life 
redface.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #1,214 of 1,534
Quote:
Hi Guys i have been searching high and low for a player that is of audiophile quality and comes with a lineout...
i'm seriously considering to get the HM601 for myself as a christmas present... 
Currently i'm using ipod classic->voyager->Superfi EBs
Do you all think it will be a good match for my voyager and Superfi EBs?

yes! 

very happy hm-601 and voyager owner here, a magical combo

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,215 of 1,534
Planning to get a JDSlabs C241 slim to go with my 601. Any opinions on this potential setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back