REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Sep 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,157 of 1,534
I am confused. Earlier in the thread it was said that Fang himself confirmed it does not play 24 bit, at best 16/96

Yet my 601 display clearly says 24bit when playing back FLAC from HD Tracks.

Plus also my ears hear a clear difference and improvement when comparing The Beatles 24/96 FLAC  to 16/44 FLAC or WAV

So is the improvement in sound the jump from 44 to 96? Or is my brain playing audio-visual tricks on me.?

help, my brain hurts

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #1,158 of 1,534
Got problem with connecting the player to pc via usb-cable in Windows 7 (in WinXP all ok). The problem is WPD FileSystem Volume Driver. Here is description of the problem. I couldn't to do anything, because the player disconnects faster, than I have time to do something. How to resolve this problem? Any suggestion?

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #1,159 of 1,534
Quote:
I am confused. Earlier in the thread it was said that Fang himself confirmed it does not play 24 bit, at best 16/96

Yet my 601 display clearly says 24bit when playing back FLAC from HD Tracks.

Plus also my ears hear a clear difference and improvement when comparing The Beatles 24/96 FLAC  to 16/44 FLAC or WAV

So is the improvement in sound the jump from 44 to 96? Or is my brain playing audio-visual tricks on me.?

help, my brain hurts

i know what you're saying.. i think the player downsamples the file to 16 bit while playing. just like what itunes does

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #1,160 of 1,534
Quote:
Got problem with connecting the player to pc via usb-cable in Windows 7 (in WinXP all ok). The problem is WPD FileSystem Volume Driver. Here is description of the problem. I couldn't to do anything, because the player disconnects faster, than I have time to do something. How to resolve this problem? Any suggestion

<.< great here I am looking to buy one, don't tell me it wont work with my win 7 >.> 

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #1,162 of 1,534
You lucky. But mine not works. In win xp works fine. Have to wait win 8 final release. I could to use virtual machine, but it's ridiculous and not convenient. 
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #1,163 of 1,534
I use mine with Vista and Win7 and no problems.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #1,167 of 1,534
@Mshenay: Thanks! :)

small impression:

after i modified the active filter, set the dac's bias current, and removing some useless capacitor, i clearly hear an improvement over the original 601

the bass reaches deeper and rumbles harder noticeably. the treble also got crispier and livelier compared to the non mod. mid remains thick and lush. how do i know i'm not just hearing placebo effect? i happen to have 601 slim as well, and i can compare them side by side with my modded unit
biggrin.gif

next action: change the dac chip to something else, and modify the dac's power supply (already ordered the parts, waiting for them to arrive)

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,168 of 1,534
Quote:
@Mshenay: Thanks! :)

small impression:

after i modified the active filter, set the dac's bias current, and removing some useless capacitor, i clearly hear an improvement over the original 601

the bass reaches deeper and rumbles harder noticeably. the treble also got crispier and livelier compared to the non mod. mid remains thick and lush. how do i know i'm not just hearing placebo effect? i happen to have 601 slim as well, and i can compare them side by side with my modded unit
biggrin.gif

next action: change the dac chip to something else, and modify the dac's power supply (already ordered the parts, waiting for them to arrive)

... I'll give you $125 bucks for ur modded Version <3 I'd like one actually!

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #1,170 of 1,534
Quote:
haha.. i appreciate the offer! 
biggrin.gif

I bet but I made a smart decsion today, I'm going to take that nice analog sound and pair them bad boys with a pair of dt 880's and REALLY play up that nice warmth... I've got some Fat Jon instrumentals and some Nujabes ALl loseless w8ing to be given new bright light! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back