REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Jan 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #1,052 of 1,534
Jan 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #1,057 of 1,534
The choice of a earphone will or can change the sound coming from the Hifiman. Also most dont know anything but Apple and most use the stock ear buds and say it sounds great!

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,058 of 1,534

Quote:
The choice of a earphone will or can change the sound coming from the Hifiman. Also most dont know anything but Apple and most use the stock ear buds and say it sounds great!

To be fair thought the stock earbuds aren't so bad. I mean they really aren't anything special either. I gave them a try since I had a new pair on the side collecting dust. Its not as bad as some make them out to be. I think also fit will have a big effect on the sound of them. I couldn't get the best fit with them but I could tell the sound was half decent. I mean if I was in a real pinch I could tolerate them for just background music lol. But when comparing them to my IEMs there is no comparison to be fair so that much I agree with you...

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #1,059 of 1,534

Quote:
Sounds like a poor choice IMO. Would it also be 15% cheaper :wink:

Why poor? It's the same great player in a slightly, yet noticeably, slimmer profile. My HM-601 was stolen along with my RE-ZEROs. I recently bought both again from head-direct's
 eBay account and I was shipped a 601 express. The back is flat unlike the original 601 which was slightly raised and the emblem on the back says HIFIMAN express in a new sleeker font. Other than that, it's the same.

Although, one firmware issue that is upsetting is the auto power-off feature now only gives options for 30mins, 1hr, 2hrs, 3hrs, & 4hrs, which is totally unpractical. No one would have their player on standby for that long. My old one was set for three minutes, and this one is too, by default, but once you change it you can't go back.

Haven't seen or heard anything about the 4gb model but at $200, that sounds exciting. I don't even use the on board flash anyway.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,060 of 1,534

Quote:

Why poor? It's the same great player in a slightly, yet noticeably, slimmer profile. My HM-601 was stolen along with my RE-ZEROs. I recently bought both again from head-direct's
 eBay account and I was shipped a 601 express. The back is flat unlike the original 601 which was slightly raised and the emblem on the back says HIFIMAN express in a new sleeker font. Other than that, it's the same.

Although, one firmware issue that is upsetting is the auto power-off feature now only gives options for 30mins, 1hr, 2hrs, 3hrs, & 4hrs, which is totally unpractical. No one would have their player on standby for that long. My old one was set for three minutes, and this one is too, by default, but once you change it you can't go back.

Haven't seen or heard anything about the 4gb model but at $200, that sounds exciting. I don't even use the on board flash anyway.

Congrats. please may you post a HD pictures or movie, I still have my 601, and enjoy it from time to time, only with my TTVJslim....

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #1,061 of 1,534
Interesting.  It looks evident that Fang's approach is to permanently replace the standard HM-601 all together with the slim.

Regarding the firmware, which I assume it comes with v7 as default, you can install a previous version to regain some lost functionality. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #1,063 of 1,534

Quote:
Curious.  Do you not find the sound too warm using your 601 with the TTVJ Slim?

Yeh you are right! and that's why I said I enjoy it sometimes, the mids sound like nothing I have with this setup,they overshadow everything else, but it is fun with some music and with my originals.... 

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #1,065 of 1,534
I got one. Still not sure though if the charging time is the same (9 hours). Version is .08

Does it really get to warm with the HM601+TTVJ Slim? Now i'm having second thoughts of getting one
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back