REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Nov 22, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #1,036 of 1,534

Quote:
You should try the Teclast T51, I love this player sound wise, but everything else ,makes you want to "Just Do it" on it!!!

I owned an Sflo2 before but received 2 consecutive defective units and MP4Nation was never able to get me a properly working unit. I compared the 601 side by side with the Sflo2 when I had it and I found the 601 to be superior. I no longer had a reason to keep the Sflo2. Not to mention it took 8 hours to fully charge when it should only take 4 hours. The Sflo2 is too digital sounding (un-natural and fake sounding) when compared to the Hifimans effortless and smooth-organic sound.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #1,037 of 1,534

Quote:

I owned an Sflo2 before but received 2 consecutive defective units and MP4Nation was never able to get me a properly working unit. I compared the 601 side by side with the Sflo2 when I had it and I found the 601 to be superior. I no longer had a reason to keep the Sflo2. Not to mention it took 8 hours to fully charge when it should only take 4 hours. The Sflo2 is too digital sounding (un-natural and fake sounding) when compared to the Hifimans effortless and smooth-organic sound.

Ah, I read about someone who got two defective units and then got the 601 (also defective), so it was you? small forum! I find my T51 combined with the TTVJ slim, makes a very tidy tube like setup, and never feel tired or bothered in long time play for they balance each other, likewise between the Hifiman 601, but I did not get this digital signature your talking about, maybe you needed some burn in (like a year...8 hours to charge
basshead.gif
)  .

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #1,038 of 1,534

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,042 of 1,534
Well I heard the 601 and the higher end model. both sounded nice and warm and I was glad they have an EQ. Worht the money? Well comparing them to any apple I say hell yeah but comparing them to Cowon I will say hell no. Cowon can do everything the same as the 601 can and the higher end model can and more. loudness of the high end model was no louder or clearer then my Cowon D2+. Also the cowon can play videos and more. The 601 is a nice player and for me not that big as many people have mentioned.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #1,043 of 1,534

Quote:
Well I heard the 601 and the higher end model. both sounded nice and warm and I was glad they have an EQ. Worht the money? Well comparing them to any apple I say hell yeah but comparing them to Cowon I will say hell no. Cowon can do everything the same as the 601 can and the higher end model can and more. loudness of the high end model was no louder or clearer then my Cowon D2+. Also the cowon can play videos and more. The 601 is a nice player and for me not that big as many people have mentioned.

Cowon and hifiman have completely different sound signatures though. The hifiman is a warm and smooth analog sound signature while the Cowon is a very digital sound DAP with emphasis on its treble. I can't see how they would compare. You could of course use EQ but that adds distortion to the sound so I pretty much passed on the Cowon due to this. Also synergy is very important. The Hifiman 601 pairs very well with the 601. I even found the Sflo2 to be far superior to the cowon from an audio quality stand point but I also didn't like its very digital fake sound.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #1,044 of 1,534
You can believe what you say but the Cowons EQ works well and does not distorts the music I have been playing on it. I heard for a week the 601 and I heard at the store its big brother and yes they are warm but suprisingly not much better than the Cowon. If I didnt have the Cowon I would have bought the 601 and if I had the 601 I would have bought the Cowon. Also ofcourse a good earphone will help  and I used many such as: JH 13 Pro, Westone 3 and 4, Shure 530 and 535, and Futuresonics Atrios.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,045 of 1,534

Quote:
You can believe what you say but the Cowons EQ works well and does not distorts the music I have been playing on it. I heard for a week the 601 and I heard at the store its big brother and yes they are warm but suprisingly not much better than the Cowon. If I didnt have the Cowon I would have bought the 601 and if I had the 601 I would have bought the Cowon. Also ofcourse a good earphone will help  and I used many such as: JH 13 Pro, Westone 3 and 4, Shure 530 and 535, and Futuresonics Atrios.

I guess I'm just a purist lol. If I don't have to EQ I rather not. Especially on the go I get pissed when I find myself constantly fiddling with EQ settings. I don't feel the need to though with the Hifman 601 with the updated firmware. Coincidentally though they ruined the EQ anyways but I don't have any desire to use it now (the hifiman seems more balanced than before). Same goes for the Studio V when paired with my IE80s. Its super neutral and just lets the phones add their own flavor.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #1,046 of 1,534
I am glad you are content with a super neutral sound. I have always liked to custom my sound all depending on the style of music I choose to listen to. I like to push sounds here and there, some tracks have a focus on the bass and so I want bass and I want to feel the bass push into my ears. Some music focuses on the trebles and so I adjust it. Usually while I am walking over 1.5 hrs everyday to and from work and dinning in Hong Kong I do not adjust anything cause I have stored EQ settings and with the Cowon its EQ does not distorts the sound. My humble opinion is either player will be superior to most players out there and after I get my custom made earphones I might just get a Hifiman as well.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #1,048 of 1,534
Has anybody got a word from Fang or another credible source on the actual release of the HM-601 Slim?  Other sources say at the end of this month, but no word yet.  Thanks.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #1,049 of 1,534

Quote:
Has anybody got a word from Fang or another credible source on the actual release of the HM-601 Slim?  Other sources say at the end of this month, but no word yet.  Thanks.

That sounds nice. Wonder how much will they expect for this iteration though. Would it have a peppy UI though and not slug slow?

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #1,050 of 1,534

Quote:
That sounds nice. Wonder how much will they expect for this iteration though. Would it have a peppy UI though and not slug slow?

Its almost the same only 15% thinner , so What, same UI......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back