REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Feb 1, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #616 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:

Plonter, I just got a Cowon iAudio9 last night, and I have to agree with you, the Cowon sound is pretty good! The EQ and JetEffects are very effective if used carefully....it is possible to go overboard with them and get an unnatural sound, but if you're careful they work very well.
beerchug.gif

yes i agree..the bbe effects can make the sound very artificial and unnatural..but it works like a charm with some headphones,especially the kind of headphones that need some extra sparkle.
I have an i9 too by the way..excellent player!  I use it for more portable activities like bicycaling and other sports that can't or prefer to not use the j3.

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #618 of 1,534
This 8gig one I have is devoid of glitches. It remembers the SD card, no popping in and out at all. Works better than I could have hoped. Also, there's a J3 thread here somewhere why dont you guys post there instead of the HM 601 thread.

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #619 of 1,534
Just received a SanDisk microSDHC Class 4 16GB card in the mail today.
I believe it is genuine, but it's weird that the sender removed the packaging. (Shipping was free so maybe they did tha to save shipping costs)
Anyway, the card seems genuine and works fines at the moment.

The strange thing is that it comes with a microSD to SD card adapter, and it my 2GB HM-601 can't read it.
I took the microSD and put it into another microSD to SD card adapter I bought a few days ago as a spare ... and it works!
The spare is a Samsung branded adapter.

confused.gif

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #620 of 1,534
How can you comment on a player(s) that you never heard? There have been a number of threads throughout Head-Fi rejecting opinions on something you've
never even heard yourself.

[size=13.3333px]Quote:[/size]
[size=13.3333px]

I never heard the HF players..but i am in doubt that it sounds much better than cowon..maybe a little better,but is it worth all the drawbacks?
[/size]

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #621 of 1,534
I've had the J3 and the HM601. I sold the HM601 since most of my commute is me sleeping on the train. I can safely say without any hesitation that SQ wise the 601 wins.

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #622 of 1,534

Quote:
I've been having an odd problem with the 601 and my SM3's. Some of the songs are slightly off centre, with the vocals leaning towards the right side, which is annoying the hell out of me. I've tried the same songs on the 601 with other phones and have no problem and the SM3's work fine with other sources as well, so I'm at a loss. Anyone else had 601 & SM3 problems?

Only thing I know is that someone had the same problem (vocals to the right), because he was using the Sensorcomtips. (mentioned earlier in this thread/ old SM3 thread)

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #623 of 1,534

Quote:
EDIT: I better mention that the Nokia plug is the old 3mm one and not the new smaller one.

Yes, unfortunately I do have the new smaller one with my charger for Nokia 1616. Already had a look at that before. 
But you are right that the specs are almost the same..

Specs of my new ''HiFi man'' charger:
AC Adapter
Model: HN5V1.0A
Input: AC100-240V
50-60 Hz 0.6A Max
Output:DC 5V (some weird sign) 1.0A
Made in China 

listed ITE power supply [serial number]

Specs of my Nokia 1616 (mobile phone) charger:
Nokia AC-3E
Input: AC 100-240V
50-60 Hz/ 100mA
Output: DC 5.0V, 350 mA

For ITE use only
indoor use only 
Made in China

[serial number] 

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #625 of 1,534
I use customs as my main earphone while commuting so outside noise doesn't bother me too much. With my usual listening level which is not very loud I would not be able to hear outside sounds very well.

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #626 of 1,534
I think this is a very coerent question. As I understand, he heard a J3 and wonder if the HM is much better than him.

I'll summarize with a small example: I myself.

I have a 32Gb J3 there are 7 months and I thought he was fantastic. After I listened to the HM-601 for the first time, the J3 never again be used and will be properly sold.

The HM-601 is another class of players. The only valid comparison would be with the other members of his family, the HM-602 and HM-801. Never with any other.

Indeed, one question: How many percent the HM-801 is better than the HM-601? I'm seriously considering doing this upgrade ...

Quote:
How can you comment on a player(s) that you never heard? There have been a number of threads throughout Head-Fi rejecting opinions on something you've

[size=13.3333px]Quote:[/size]
[size=13.3333px]

I never heard the HF players..but i am in doubt that it sounds much better than cowon..maybe a little better,but is it worth all the drawbacks?
[/size]

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #628 of 1,534

Quote:

[size=13.33px]  
[/size]

I don't need to hear it in order to reject it..I rejected it based upon all the others issues not related to sound.  I am sure that it sound fantastic and better than all the other consumer players, and i also don't need to hear it for myself to know this,it's enough for me to read other peopl's comments and look at the high grade components it got.
sometimes you can comment about this you didn't hear for yourself because you don't need to (like in this case) but i agree with you that sometimes it is not right to do so.
I just wanted to make a point...not make this into some kind of flame war or anything simlar.  sorry if it sounds like this when reading my post,didn't mean for it to sound like this.   i am sure that whoever bought this player don't really care about battery,UI,features etc. and only cares about the sound,  but i just don't get why getting such a non-portable player for portable use when you can get very close sound performance for much less money and get 64 hours of battery time and tons of other features.    but that's me.  I am sure that whoever bought it have his reasons.
I also sorry if this was unproper to post my thoughts in this thread..it looks like the proper place to me and not in the j3 thread.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #629 of 1,534
plonter - the issue I have with your posts is you state things as if they were facts, and not just your opinion (even things you have not used/heard). An example:

Quote:
[...] when you can get very close sound performance for much less money [...]

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #630 of 1,534
Just wanted to throw this out there that I think the HM-601 and RE-262 together sounds better than my pro900 out of my compass. They synergize SOO well. I often find my self in my classroom at breaks having to keep my self from moving my head to much so I don't look strange because I get into the music. That is how good it sounds. Especially when listening to something like Shpongle. The sound is so... fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back