REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Jan 25, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #586 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:
RAFA said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Today received the HM-601 and impressed by the sound quality. It has some special sound signature.

How would you compare it against Cowon D2+

Quote:
The D2+ has a bass rolloff when plugging earphones of less than 80Ω into it. The HM601 does not. On the other hand, the 601 has an audible high frequency pass filter applied, so it sounds smoother. The two sounds are quite different.

Till now I listened something about 3 hours to the HM-601, I need a little more time with it. Later on I would like to compare it with my D2+, Fuze and T51... should be interesting. Shigzeo is totally right about this bass rolloff. This is something I did not experience with the HM-601.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #587 of 1,534

Quote:
The D2+ has a bass rolloff when plugging earphones of less than 80Ω into it. The HM601 does not. On the other hand, the 601 has an audible high frequency pass filter applied, so it sounds smoother. The two sounds are quite different.

Till now I listened something about 3 hours to the HM-601, I need a little more time with it. Later on I would like to compare it with my D2+, Fuze and T51... should be interesting. Shigzeo is totally right about this bass rolloff. This is something I did not experience with the HM-601.

I am looking forward to it.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #588 of 1,534
While testing the HM-601 with the Ultrasone Pro 900, I got positively surprised.

My Pro 900 are not modded, so usually they sounded rather bright and had sharper highs. These sharp highs are the reason for the Ultrasones being a dustcatcher in my room. However the HM-601 let Ultrasones sound little less bright and the highs are not that sharp.

So genrally I would describe the Pro 900 - HM-601 combination:

Highs: Sharp like a Razorblade, but more gentle like that Gillette shaving stuff, I mean you can still get cut, but rather rarely.

Mids: Are present and very nice. (Still not like the ESW9, but ok)

Lows: Good and do not overwhelm the mids.

Big soundstage and very detailed.

May be it is because I like new stuff more and the fact that at last I can use my Ultrasones... However this is my new favorite combination.

#1: HM-601 & PRO 900
#2: Cube C30 & ES10
#3. everything else

EDIT: While I was writing this I listened to Capsule - Jelly (Remix Version)

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #589 of 1,534
I've managed to crack the glass in my 601. There was no impact, but the device was stored in my car while camping at -6C (or possibly a little lower) and that appears to have caused the crack. Still seems to play OK though.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #591 of 1,534
I got my HM-601 today I and am very, very impressed with the sound quality. Very organic. My J3, by contrast, has a thin, analytical and electrical/digital sound.

I wonder how Fang should be happy and proud to share with us all the result of his work, what he believes as the best sound in portable sound systems.

Congratulations, my friend!

Cheers,

Peter

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #592 of 1,534

Quote:
I've managed to crack the glass in my 601. There was no impact, but the device was stored in my car while camping at -6C (or possibly a little lower) and that appears to have caused the crack. Still seems to play OK though.

Contact head-direct. Albeit slow, they are very good at customer service. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #594 of 1,534

Quote:
finally getting my replacement hm-601. I'm stoked ready for some good listening again. hurry up snail mail!

Great..i am also getting my replacement re-zero soon. Fang gave me the tracking number. It is unfortunate that re-zeros had to break when my shure has gone for reshelling. Bad timing.

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #596 of 1,534
omg..Head-Fi sent me a HM-601 player as replacement for my broken Re-zeroes 
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #598 of 1,534

Quote:
lol. If I get your Re-zero's we can trade!

I was really 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 and keep the player..but i informed them and shipping it back to them today. They have already shipped my re-zeroes (no 3 weeks wait time :D).

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #599 of 1,534
sigh. I probably would have kept them and just never said another word about it. HM 601 for $80 is a fantastic deal!

Quote:
Quote:
lol. If I get your Re-zero's we can trade!

I was really 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 and keep the player..but i informed them and shipping it back to them today. They have already shipped my re-zeroes (no 3 weeks wait time :D).

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #600 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry for that :frowning2:. How big is the crack?

Top to bottom. Doesn't affect the sound, so I'm not going to worry too much about it. I may get some transparent tape to make sure it holds together. It's not as though the display is a work of art on this device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back