REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,441 of 1,534
I just rockboxed my HM601LE and hooked it up to my Cayin C5 and HP100.  The sound is very lush and euphonic, though the treble is pretty laid back compared to my X3.  I'm planning to get rid of either the X3 or the HM601LE.  It's a tough choice sine X3 wins in terms of functionality, build quality, and is more "neutral".  HM601LE rockboxed has better UI and cheaper + bigger storage, and sounds great in its own romantic way.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #1,442 of 1,534
I wouldn't use Rockbox. Apparently, it's not stable on the 601.

Can you manage without gapless?

Oh, and you do realise that 192KHz isn't supported. 96 is OK, but I suspect (based on the DAC chip) that it reproduces at 16 bit resolution.

Finally, it sounds much better if you let it warm up for 10-15 minutes before listening.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #1,443 of 1,534
Oh ok. Not rockboxing it unless I have to.

Here are my initial questions after I've listened to it:
1) How do I turn the EQ off?
2) The line out has a lesser volume than headphone out about 60% than the full volume on it, how is that possible?

Also it sounds a bit weird :|

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #1,444 of 1,534
Oh ok. Not rockboxing it unless I have to.

Here are my initial questions after I've listened to it:
1) How do I turn the EQ off?
2) The line out has a lesser volume than headphone out about 60% than the full volume on it, how is that possible?

Also it sounds a bit weird :|

2) its the raw/clean o/p from the DAC before its entry into the built-in amp section bypassing onto a 3.5mm female jack is the LO.....so the vol level is low compared to HO relatively and distortion free......

What amp ur pairing with LO?

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #1,445 of 1,534
That goes to any dap that has LO incl ipod classic (30 pin dock out) for example and hi-end gears for that matter.....

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,446 of 1,534
2) its the raw/clean o/p from the DAC before its entry into the built-in amp section bypassing onto a 3.5mm female jack is the LO.....so the vol level is low compared to HO relatively and distortion free......

What amp ur pairing with LO?

My bad then, I was mistaken. Not pairing it with any amp as I don't have the cable to pair it with my Vali. I'll use it independently so I'll use it from HO then.

Also the difference between high gain and low gain is very less. Even at low gain the play in the volume knob I can get with my tf10 is pretty less. I barely movie it. High gain is almost the same.

How do I turn off the EQ?

Thanks for clearing it all up Shawn

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #1,447 of 1,534
My bad then, I was mistaken. Not pairing it with any amp as I don't have the cable to pair it with my Vali. I'll use it independently so I'll use it from HO then.

Also the difference between high gain and low gain is very less. Even at low gain the play in the volume knob I can get with my tf10 is pretty less. I barely movie it. High gain is almost the same.

How do I turn off the EQ?

Thanks for clearing it all up Shawn

Well not sure whats going on with L/H gain on this device,especially with TF10......I actually have no clue on the eq OFF part,as I dont have the device yet......maybe ozcan or clee290 cld shed light here.....

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #1,448 of 1,534
Well not sure whats going on with L/H gain on this device,especially with TF10......I actually have no clue on the eq OFF part,as I dont have the device yet......maybe ozcan or clee290 cld shed light here.....

I've tried it with 2 other cans and can confirm that atleast in my unit the difference between LG and HG is pretty darned less.

I got a pretty weird "thing" with my XB500 too, while I was adjusting the EQ the sound almost sounded "corrupt", clipping and just plain old weird. Plugged the cans into LO and then HO and it was fine. I then tried to tinker with the EQ and it presented again, but not everytime.

edit: To ensure more play I'm running the EQ to -5 across all bands. Seems an alternative so far.

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,449 of 1,534
To switch off the EQ you go into Settings, open the EQ menu and move each of the sliders to zero.

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #1,450 of 1,534
To switch off the EQ you go into Settings, open the EQ menu and move each of the sliders to zero.

Thank you, I figured there would be an on/ off setting like it's there for the other models (as is given in the instruction booklet). LG and HG also seems to be roughly the same?

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #1,451 of 1,534
Thank you, I figured there would be an on/ off setting like it's there for the other models (as is given in the instruction booklet). LG and HG also seems to be roughly the same?

So you settled with 602's stock fw on your LE and howz it sounds with your tf10,now?.......

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,452 of 1,534
So you settled with 602's stock fw on your LE and howz it sounds with your tf10,now?.......

So far, however if I can't make playlists then I'll rockbox it as it's a major thing for me. Listen to different songs based on my mood.

It sounds decent, I haven't really given it a proper listen. With Monday arriving (ugh :|) I'll get some proper time to test it. I'll let you know how it goes.

When's your DAP arriving?

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #1,455 of 1,534
After some follow-up emails to them since friday,Ive managed to get a reply from head-direct 3 days (monday) after their last response and here it is,the very responsive reply.....pretty impressive,as Im being posted with the same status update......

"Dear Shawn,
Please do not get mad because of this. Your package has been returned by the Customs because there is battery in it. Recently they are very strict with it. We will arrange another shipment for you.
Best Regards
Amy
Hifiman Customer Service"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back