Review: Head-Direct RE0
Feb 27, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #61 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't agree, the RE0 has almost no bass at all when new, the bass does slowly gain in quantity with burn in IMO. I get my iBasso P2 tomorrow, I am pretty excited to hear how much they improve with amping and also bass boost.

I didn't know P2 had Bass Boost.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #62 of 69
Yeah on the back it has 2 3 position switches, one for bass and the other for gain. Its not as cool as your D4 but I don't need a DAC at all so it should work great for me.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #63 of 69
I've now got 12 hours of burn in on my new RE0's and I already lost one biflange and one black flange. Dang it. HeadDirect only sells a kit with both pair of bi-flange and more filters for $15. Any clues on how to get more of the black flanges?

BTW, I am enjoying the RE0's out of the FiiO E5 mating with my 2nd gen Shuffle...very portable. (See profile pic).

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #64 of 69
Just ordered a pair of RE0's from ebay and will be getting it in a few weeks time. Total cost US$92 inclluding freight charges. Will be using it with my Cowon S9. Am currently using UE SF5 pro. Am pretty curious how they compare. Will update once arrived
smile_phones.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #65 of 69

Quote:
Just ordered a pair of RE0's from ebay and will be getting it in a few weeks time. Total cost US$92 inclluding freight charges. Will be using it with my Cowon S9. Am currently using UE SF5 pro. Am pretty curious how they compare. Will update once arrived
smile_phones.gif

Hello leonsphinx,

I am a newbie here. I was about to buy RE0 however heard that it has low bass compared to its peer group. Just wanted to know how are you liking UE SF5 pro? I am looking for more bass with clear treble...

Cheers!!!

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #66 of 69
The RE0 has a totally different sound signature as the SF5 pro. The RE0 is more refined towards the upper frequencies while the SF5 pro is leaning more towards the bass area. That makes the RE0 bright sounding, providing more details while the SF5 pro is more warm and less detailed with more bass impact. The SF5 definitely provides more bass and if you're more inclined to bass oriented music then the SF5 will suite you. But if you like to listen to the details of your music (more analytical), then the RE0 is for you. I listen mostly to New age (instrumental) music and i really love to nit pick on the different sounds produced by the music i listen to so I prefer the RE0 over the SF5 pro. I owned the SF5 pro for over a year when the cord broke so i ended up buying the RE0. I was able to get a replacement cord for my SF5 pros but now i'm listening to my music using the RE0 90% of the time. BTW, I also love listening to electronic music and I have no problem with the bass production of the RE0. I feel it's just adequate and not overwhelming. I used to be a basshead but I feel that I have "matured" in a way and am slowly shying away from that preference. I think that the RE0 lets you listen to your music the way it should be listened to...Here's a rough breakdown of the frequency responses (in my opinion) of both IEMs

Highs (Treble) - RE0 - 5/5, SF5 pro - 3.5/5
Mids - RE0 - 3.5/5, SF5 pro - 4/5
Lows (Bass) - RE0 4/5, SF5 pro - 4/5

Although the SF5 pro produces more bass, i still prefer the quality of the bass produced by the RE0 and that's the reason why I gave it an equal value. Furthermore, the bass from the SF5 can at times be muddy and may override the higher frequencies especially in bad recordings. So it;'s quite obvious that I prefer the RE0  but in the end, it really boils down to personal preference. I used to love my SF5 pro by the way but when i got the RE0, i listen to it less often now. Cheers!!!

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #67 of 69
I trashed my Westone UM3X RC's after "downgrading to cheap RE0's

I am used to listen to spectrum analysed & room EQ'd studio monitors and these are the flattest in ears I have heard so far.
I know I am a wanker but most people have no idea what flat accurate frequency response is ... they like to be excited!

I'll try Westone 4's but I doubt they are flat ... Would also like to try the up coming Head (now Hifiman) RE262  

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #68 of 69

Quote:
I trashed my Westone UM3X RC's after "downgrading to cheap RE0's

I am used to listen to spectrum analysed & room EQ'd studio monitors and these are the flattest in ears I have heard so far.
I know I am a wanker but most people have no idea what flat accurate frequency response is ... they like to be excited!

I'll try Westone 4's but I doubt they are flat ... Would also like to try the up coming Head (now Hifiman) RE262  

Upcoming?  They've been out for months.  The RE272 is upcoming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back