[Review] Grado GR10, Ortofon e-Q5, Westone 4, Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS
May 1, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 42

Quote:
another question is, does GR10 worth double the price of e-Q5?
rolleyes.gif

Not quite double: GR10 priced at 399US and I believe you still can get e-Q5 on promotional Sale from MA at $249

May 1, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #17 of 42
Almost double. does it worth it?

May 1, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #18 of 42
Too personal to answer for somebody else and can be source and fit related. Most will never need more than an E-q5. I personally appreciate the GR10 added finesse and fit. Anything more critical of source than a GR10 would probably be too finicky for me but that's why there's so many out there. We all have different needs, goals, tolerance levels and willingness to work a source. Hard to choose for someone else.

May 1, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #19 of 42
One person's "worth it" is another one's "waste of money" so I can't really answer that question for anyone other than me.

If I was in the market for the e-Q5 or GR10 I would absolutely go for the GR10 without hesitation. Fit is very high up in importance for me. It's the reason I got rid of the TF10, e-Q7 and RE262 to name a few. I love the fit of the GR10. The housing is small, it is low profile and it is easy to insert and take out. The e-Q5 has a large housing, a bullet insertion and is not that easy to insert and take out for me. The GR10 also has a more coherent cable as the cable of the e-Q5 is different y split up and down and the GR10 also has a chin slider. They sound very similar but the fit is absolutely worth it for me. I also slightly like the GR10 sound better. It's a very very minor difference but enough to like the GR10 better. That along with fit and cable make the GR10 price something I would be willing to pay.

However the e-Q5 is easily the better deal and they sound very similar and it is over $100 cheaper.

May 2, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #20 of 42
Waiting for my GR10 to arrive. lets try this :rolleyes:

May 2, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #21 of 42
According to Dimitri, Grado GR10 and Ortofon e-q7 share exactly the same Balanced Armature Driver.
 Obviously that is the only thing these two have in common.
and e-Q5 uses somewhat modified driver,  so it will obviously sound different then both grados and e-Q7s

May 4, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 42

Quote:
According to Dimitri, Grado GR10 and Ortofon e-q7 share exactly the same Balanced Armature Driver.
 Obviously that is the only thing these two have in common.
and e-Q5 uses somewhat modified driver,  so it will obviously sound different then both grados and e-Q7s

Not only are they not balanced armatures but the impressions don't line up at all especially by accounts of treble presentation.  If they are the same 'Moving Armatures' they are tuned differently.

May 4, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #23 of 42

Quote:
Not only are they not balanced armatures but the impressions don't line up at all especially by accounts of treble presentation.  If they are the same 'Moving Armatures' they are tuned differently.

I am just quoting Dimitri's comments here.  He assures that the drivers are identical (tuned exactly the same) on both e-Q7 and GR10 as this is what the manufacturer claims.
Now sound of e-Q7 and GR10 can't be the same as both share nothing in common other then BA driver.

May 4, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #24 of 42

Quote:
I am just quoting Dimitri's comments here.  He assures that the drivers are identical (tuned exactly the same) on both e-Q7 and GR10 as this is what the manufacturer claims.
Now sound of e-Q7 and GR10 can't be the same as both share nothing in common other then BA driver.

He did not get this from the manufacturers or the driver maker and if so should post here himself instead of starting rumors. I think from all accounts, he's a good retailer and takes great care of his clients but he was also the origination of Final Audios being MAs which was a complete falsehood. He doesn't sell Grado and it's advantageous to think them identical at a lower price just like it was to think Finals some new technology. Whether he's embellishing on purpose or just gets himself over hyped doesn't really matter. Perhaps his distributors are misleading him and under these circumstances, it's easy to go with it. Who knows, but without proof, these claims should stop. How can the E-q5 sound less middy and more extended than the E-q7 and the GR10 sound even more extended and less middy than the E-q5 if the E-q7 and GR10 share the same driver without any difference in filters or venting? Housings make a difference but when we're talking the same driver position without venting or filters, not this much. There's a reason why some of the most expensive phones use common plastics. Resonance frequencies with wave lengths at these housing sizes is almost negligible. Grado states in they have used new materials in this driver. Why would we choose to think otherwise if they sound different than an E-q7, even if not spectacularly so. These are all made to be accurate and the differences will be in refinement and presentation so yes they will sound similar but the differences are there.

May 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #25 of 42
I don't think the use of plastics is due to a negligible difference in resonance among top-tier in-ears. Rather the nature of some (sealed BA and MAs) makes the difference negligible. This of course doesn't apply to something like a open dynamic or BA (FADs) which have significant resonance results in their housings.  

May 4, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:
He did not get this from the manufacturers or the driver maker and if so should post here himself instead of starting rumors. I think from all accounts, he's a good retailer and takes great care of his clients but he was also the origination of Final Audios being MAs which was a complete falsehood. He doesn't sell Grado and it's advantageous to think them identical at a lower price just like it was to think Finals some new technology. Whether he's embellishing on purpose or just gets himself over hyped doesn't really matter. Perhaps his distributors are misleading him and under these circumstances, it's easy to go with it. Who knows, but without proof, these claims should stop.

Well. I have no special ties to Dimitri apart from the fact that he's been impeccable to deal with. But what you're doing here may well be considered slandering, therefore I can't leave it uncommented. (Sorry @rawrster for going temporarily off-topic in your thread.)

"He did not get this from the manufacturers or the driver maker" - You obviously have no way of knowing where he gets his information from.

"he was also the origination of Final Audios being MAs which was a complete falsehood" - Utterly wrong. That was my own false conclusion when I A/Bed the Final Audios against the e-Q7 and thought they sounded eerily similar. Dimitri even expressed his doubts about my assumption, but said he didn't know for sure. Btw I've long since openly apologized for my mistake and corrected my review.

"He doesn't sell Grado" - and yet the GR10 reviewed in this very thread have been bought from him.

"it's advantageous to think them identical at a lower price just like it was to think Finals some new technology" - AFAIK you've never talked to the man yourself and not once in our conversations did he claim that Final Audios were some new technology.

Like I said, I have no special ties to the man. But honestly, did it ever occur to you, that your repeated and adamant clutching at every straw to point out significant differences between the GR10 and other (cheaper) MAs might make a lot of folks wonder about your own relationship to Grado? Oh, and one more thing: I've openly apologized for my mistake, maybe you should also consider apologizing to Dimitri.

Again, sorry rawrster, sometimes there are things that just have to be said. I will not comment further on this matter.

May 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #27 of 42
Nothing to apologize for James :)

As for the e-Q5 and GR10 I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same driver. They sound close enough where it wouldn't be a shocker. I don't find one better than the other on sound alone. Fit however is a completely different story. I still consider the e-Q5 a much better deal if you can handle the type of insertion method and have slightly above average ears where the fit wouldn't be much of an issue.

May 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 42

Quote:
Nothing to apologize for James
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the e-Q5 and GR10 I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same driver. They sound close enough where it wouldn't be a shocker. I don't find one better than the other on sound alone. Fit however is a completely different story. I still consider the e-Q5 a much better deal if you can handle the type of insertion method and have slightly above average ears where the fit wouldn't be much of an issue.

Actually it was stated the GR10 and EQ7 are the same and the EQ5 are different than those two.  
blink.gif

May 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #29 of 42
Oh. Well I saw a bunch of e-Q5 and GR10 so I thought that was it but I didn't reach too much of it :p The eQ-5 and the GR10 do sound similar however :p

May 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #30 of 42

I think that somehow may be wrong, also considering the different specs. FWIR the GR10s do resemble the EQ5s more, heh if anything it seems the GR10s are more contrasting to the EQ7s than the 5s. The GR8 I suspect uses the same driver of the EQ7s because they both started at about the same time and the company who produces the driver had just started with the technology
Actually it was stated the GR10 and EQ7 are the same and the EQ5 are different than those two.  
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back