[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Sep 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #961 of 1,181
Should get mine by Weds, although I imagine I'll get stung on import and have to pay before they post it to my address, unless FS are sneaky. Pity all I'll have to use with them initially is an iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 (upgrading ye ye) and 2012 iPad... DX100 ordering should be around in a couple of weeks so I won't get the bill till November... then again I get the feeling the iOS devices are a bit more fickle with BA drivers and impedance etc, might be a different story with dynamics. We'll see!

Think a Silver Poison would look nice with the black smoke faceplates, and the hint of colour underneath each for the shells - one purple one blue.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #962 of 1,181
Fedex tracking number received... should have them next week...

Very nice. David sent me an email, but I never did get a tracking number. In hindsight, that just kept me from visiting the tracking site every hour for two days and developing nervous tics from the anticipation.

Speaking of, has anyone used these on a plane? If so, what were your experiences? I have really been enjoying these since I got them last week. A little boomy out of the box, but that didn't last more than an hour or so. I ask because as much as I am enjoying them, I had a hard time getting them to behave yesterday on my flight. Kept getting some driver flex and periodic muffling. Not sure if that was an air pressure related thing or something else. I have not had any similar issues with the ES5, but driver flex isn't a thing with BA earphones (at least not in my experience).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #964 of 1,181
@jeffarm, yes, one of the special things about the MG6Pro is that it allows both the diaphragm of the dynamic driver and the ear drum itself to move both back and forth. That was part of the idea in using a vented system, it not only allows for real bass energy, but Future Sonics also found that it reduces fatigue in listening. So, air pressure changes are important versus a closed shell, sealed ba iem. In an airplane, you have changes of pressure and the ear drum is going to want to equalize internal and external pressure just as the diaphragm is. Gently breaking seal just a little so that when you let go of the shell it settles back into place will settle things. As the airplane ascends you'll do this and as it descends, too.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #966 of 1,181
Quote:
@jeffarm, yes, one of the special things about the MG6Pro is that it allows both the diaphragm of the dynamic driver and the ear drum itself to move both back and forth. That was part of the idea in using a vented system, it not only allows for real bass energy, but Future Sonics also found that it reduces fatigue in listening. So, air pressure changes are important versus a closed shell, sealed ba iem. In an airplane, you have changes of pressure and the ear drum is going to want to equalize internal and external pressure just as the diaphragm is. Gently breaking seal just a little so that when you let go of the shell it settles back into place will settle things. As the airplane ascends you'll do this and as it descends, too.

Thanks, Kunlun.  I thought that may be the case and am glad to hear it is something to be expected.  I did have to make periodic adjustments at altitude, but I can live with that.  I do think my ears are a little sensitive to pressure differentials - I have to re-equalize periodically (every 15 - 20 minutes or so) on every flight I take and anything more than about 15 feet under water is a no-no. 

What I didn't want to do was send these in - they sound great in ways that are hard for me to describe.  I do like being able to "feel" as much as hear bass notes and things just mostly sound "right."  I guess as with most earphones and headphones, it is not until you step back down that you really notice how differently these present music.  I put my Westone 2s in yesterday to do some yard work (no customs with lawn mowers and weed eaters).  While certainly not the end-all-be-all, the W2s are a very good phone.  After several days with just the MG6 Pros, I had to spend about 15 minutes re-acclimating - the lows and mids were thin, with a little splashiness up top (which I do kinda like sometimes); while I wouldn't say they sounded metallic, I couldn't shake the feeling that the sound had a bit of a sharp edge - perhaps the decay is just a shade too fast in comparison.  Put another way, the MG6 Pros are full and rich (but not bloated) in a way that gives them, to me, a natural sound.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #969 of 1,181
I have owned my MG6Pro's for a half a year now.
I am still as much in love with them as I was the day I bought them.
I love them!! <3

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #970 of 1,181
Got mine - came a day early! Surprised I didn't have to pay anything. Only had a brief listen through my iPad, using YouTube and iTunes store samples (I don't put music on any of my iOS devices) as I had to go to work (on nights this week), so not particularly the best way to test. Will take some pics after I finish my shifts this week.

Not to sound like I'm just rehashing what Kunlun said but my first impression would be balanced. I had a quick play with the vents and predictably I like the big ones haha - or even no plug at all, although that just feels rude (anyone listen to them this way?!) I wouldn't say they're bass heavy - I played a few things with varying degrees of bass in and it what was on the track was what I got. I did my usual "play Woofer Cooker and see how they handle that constant 20hz tone" and was delighted that rather than being aubible but somewhat buried in the track, it was there at the same level as everything else but without hogging the limelight.

The smoke faceplates make the purple left and blue right shells look more subtle when inserted which is what I wanted. They really do look lovely!

The fit is interesting (as I've never had customs bar the silicone sleeping plugs I had made from the impressions company). The sleeping plugs go a LOT deeper into my ear (the tip is noticablly longer), the seal is way more pressurised etc but given everything sounds 'right' and the stuff Kunlun said in this post I conclude that this is all good. The seal breaks when I smile very wide but otherwise the fit feels about right on both sides (they're not slipping out or anything). I can see why silicone customs offer far more isolation, although the isolation from the MG6 Pros feels fine.

I imagine these are going to sound stellar with a better source and I'll be interested to see how they burn in. Got to pay these off then I can order my DX100. I imagine they should pair well with a lot of stuff though as being dynamics there's less funky impedance/sensitivity issues. I swear iOS devices just do not jive with the BA universals I've had for this reason.

Anyway, from the initial impressions I've had, I'm guessing that other than paying for new drivers as and when FS upgrade their flagship model, I'll be content in terms of IEMs for now, especially as there's my stereo rig, my home theater rig, a gaming PC to put together, room treatment, guitars and so on. Will post more when I've spent some quality time with them.

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #973 of 1,181
Cheers. With the faceplates being smoke when they're in my ears they pretty much look black but I wanted them to have a bit of personality underneath! Got the DX100 this morning - a very local seller decided he was going to sell his and PM'ed me right when I was out looking for a 2nd hand one - great timing. Only 2 months old, warranty is transferable, got a 64GB microSD so I have a 128GB, good quality source and customs to take on the commute and listen to at work. Bar getting a case for it all and trying out a Silver Poison I think that'll be me done as for the foreseeable future... until FS have a new driver I can upgrade to haha.

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #974 of 1,181
Let me know how the DX100 and Silver Poison sound with the MG6Pro. The Poison should be great. I'll be picking up the Apex Glacier as an amp/dac, so that should be nice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back