[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Jul 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #226 of 1,181
@Kunlun, Funny that's what I think of the Atrio, this makes me curious. How could it get better but you've already answered this.

No more questions though just saving unless I blow up your PM box with kitty toys.

Hi Flight that is a eye opener, I agree time to save up. 
mad.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #227 of 1,181
In my musings over which customs to get, I keep coming back to these. The fact when they update the driver you can upgrade for a low cost (a case of just sending them your current ones, and them sending you back newer ones?) is also very enticing, given that most people buy one set of customs then unless they're rolling in money, tend to not buy (m)any more, or make a fairly big loss selling them on to fund another. Good way of roping you in and sticking with them too!

Do they do artwork btw? All the pics are obviously solid colours/clear, and my preference currently would be for a blue/purple combo w/clear tips, but I wouldn't something simple, possibly designed in such a way as to disguise the vent hole.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #228 of 1,181

Quote:
In my musings over which customs to get, I keep coming back to these. The fact when they update the driver you can upgrade for a low cost (a case of just sending them your current ones, and them sending you back newer ones?) is also very enticing, given that most people buy one set of customs then unless they're rolling in money, tend to not buy (m)any more, or make a fairly big loss selling them on to fund another. Good way of roping you in and sticking with them too!

Do they do artwork btw? All the pics are obviously solid colours/clear, and my preference currently would be for a blue/purple combo w/clear tips, but I wouldn't something simple, possibly designed in such a way as to disguise the vent hole.

I think a couple people do that Earsonics for one.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #230 of 1,181
That's fine, I'm not that fussed about artwork, it's just a nice finishing touch, although it probably draws more attention to them (which isn't always a good thing) in public. Wonder when they'll be an MG7Pro!?

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #231 of 1,181

Quote:
That's fine, I'm not that fussed about artwork, it's just a nice finishing touch, although it probably draws more attention to them (which isn't always a good thing) in public. Wonder when they'll be an MG7Pro!?

We were talking about the confusing naming conventions in another thread.  The universal Atrio M5 has a new driver called the MG7, which is 10mm and the mg5pro custom uses a special version of it.  So if there ever is a mg7pro, it probably would not use the mg7 driver. 
blink.gif

So I'll await the upcoming UM Merlin reviews and make a decisions about these 2 customs this fall.  Most likely I'll go with the mg6pro since FS are US based and it will save time and money with shipping.  I could imagine getting very frustrated with refit issues and UM is overseas.  It could take several months for them to be resolved.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #232 of 1,181
They're about $900 too, which is around £560, which isn't too bad. Can be even less if you go for one of the package deals (wouldn't mind the one with the earplugs). I think ultimately I'd rather take advantage of favourable exchange rates, rather than paying basically double for something like say, the SE 5-Way which is inescapably 999 euros. Obviously there is a danger of racking up shipping costs with refits. but getting impressions done by someone used to taking them for IEM customers lowers the likelihood of this happening.

I'm also waiting out for the Merlin demo loaner thing to read the reviews, although I heard the Miracle demo a while back through my S:Flo2 and someone's Arrow and thought 'nice!' but wasn't totally blown away, although this was in a loud environment with a bunch of tracks that wouldn't make anyone's demo disk. I feel like upgraditis will be more pleasant when not paying another $900 for the new model as well.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #233 of 1,181
While I don't own the EX1000, I do own the  Sony EX800ST and consider it to be the best-sounding, most tonally balanced universal IEM that I have owned.  That said, my mg6pro simply provides a considerably more realistic portrayal of the true sound of each instrument or voice.   The difference between the two is rather hard to describe subjectively, but is somewhat like the difference between listening to a superb recording with first-rate equipment and listening to a performance in person. 

With the mg6pro, an oboe sounds exactly like an oboe and not a clarinet.  I would have to say that the greatest differences are in the nuances and accuracy of the musical overtones and harmonics within complex musical passages.  In this respect, the mg6pro is, to my ears, superior to my 2 other sets of custom IEM's, the Westone ES3X and FreQ FreqShows, both triple BA customs.

Interesting post, but I've no problem distinguishing an oboe from a clarinet on both the EX600 and EX1000. Just sayin' ...

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #234 of 1,181
Yeah same here, it seemed overblown. I'm sure the FS Customs are great but I don't expect them to beat out the Sony or JVC in timbre at every level. It may do certain instruments better and have an overall good timbre but both the FX700 and EX1000s will be on par in this aspect  because of the high quality diaphragm/housing materials used. Matter of fact, I wonder what FS is using. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #235 of 1,181
Certainly interested in reading more impressions/comparisons about these. It's been a LONG time since I tried some dynamic driver IEM's, so much so I've forgotten the sound signature, but I am quite a bass junky so they could work for me. Just tossing up my options between these, the UE18 Pro, JH16 Pro, JH13 Pro, 1964 Ears Q (or 6) or Westone ES5's.

The market is now so cluttered it's really difficult to decide.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #236 of 1,181
I'm stuck between these and the UM Merlins too. I'm contemplating pulling the trigger soon on one, since I have a work trip to China/Thailand coming up in early September and I'd love to have a new 'toy' to keep me occupied on the long flights. Decisions, decisions.

Edit- Maybe I should go for the MG6Pros since I'm on the demo list with the universal sample of the Merlin. A comparison would perhaps be beneficial there? 

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #237 of 1,181
Edit- Maybe I should go for the MG6Pros since I'm on the demo list with the universal sample of the Merlin. A comparison would perhaps be beneficial there? 

That would be awesome. Then we'd have 2 of you getting the Merlins that have the mg6pro.

I'd have to imagine as a whole the mg6pro sounds more cohesive but the biggest thing I'd want to know about are treble differences.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #238 of 1,181

Quote:
Interesting post, but I've no problem distinguishing an oboe from a clarinet on both the EX600 and EX1000. Just sayin' ...

I think my post was probably poorly worded.  I didn't mean to imply that my EX800ST was lacking in that ability, but most of the other buds and IEM's that I have owned over the years suffered from a lack of timbral accuracy to a greater or lesser degree.   Of everything I have owned to date, I would rate the EX800 as my favorite universal IEM, of which I have owned many,  and the MG6Pro as my favorite custom IEM, of which I have owned 4. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #239 of 1,181

Quote:
I think my post was probably poorly worded.  I didn't mean to imply that my EX800ST was lacking in that ability, but most of the other buds and IEM's that I have owned over the years suffered from a lack of timbral accuracy to a greater or lesser degree.   Of everything I have owned to date, I would rate the EX800 as my favorite universal IEM, of which I have owned many,  and the MG6Pro as my favorite custom IEM, of which I have owned 4. 

@HiFlight, I'm curious: What are the other customs you've owned? I think you mentioned a Westone custom?

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #240 of 1,181
Quote:

Got it - thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
@HiFlight, I'm curious: What are the other customs you've owned? I think you mentioned a Westone custom?

x2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back