[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Aug 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #316 of 1,181

Quote:
Congratulaions on the purchase of a child!

Nah, it's actually 115 yrs. old.....  (and inanimate)   
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #317 of 1,181
Can't wait to hear impressions. I just got a new job that will involve commuting so portable audio is back on the forefront of things. A possible iPod Touch > CLAS > amp > MG6Pro set up wouldn't be too shabby!

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #319 of 1,181
Received them just before lunch. Wow, what a different experience putting customs in coming from universals strictly. I'm a little worried about the comfort for long term listening, especially with my left ear. Hope my ears get accustomed to them.

Sonically out of the box (and I know it's wayyyyy early to be making any comments at all) they're a little closed in and boxy sounding, compared to the EX1000's. I think fit is decent (with the exception of being somewhat uncomfortable for my left ear), because there is a huge load of bass.... I know a good deal of burn in really benefits these, so I'm hoping the sound gets a bit more open and immersive, along the lines of the EX1000's sense of space and air. 

Probably won't make any further sonic observations for a few days, mainly since I'll be out of town until early next week.... But more to come after that.

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #320 of 1,181
When I had reshelled Tf10's the hard part to get comfortable with was having something fill up your ear so high up. You eventually get used to it but takes many hours.

Congrats and looking forward to detailed impressions later on.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #321 of 1,181
Listening now, and I'm hoping burn in brings out a lot more detail... because it's waaayyyy back there right now! I just switched to the largest open vents, mainly to help the soundstage breathe a bit better, and I think that helped out a little. But they sure are dark sounding on first impression.

Edit-

Quote:
I've had mine for a couple of days now.  I've had some high-end IEMs - UE11, JH13 - and I have to say I like these a great deal more.  I'm not going to try to write a range-by-range, aspect-by-aspect review, I'll just second what others here have written.  What I really love about these is how clean and pure they sound.  The best BA IEMs I've heard sound a little muffled by comparison.  I think they sound great, too, and it certainly wasn't anything that bothered me on its own, but in comparison the MG6PROs just sound crystalline and spacious.  They're good enough that for the first time since getting obsessive about portable audio I don't feel the desire for anything better.

They seem pretty forgiving as to gear as well.  I'm mostly listening out of a Solo/RX2, but straight out of my Touch they sound great. 

One word of warning.  They REALLY need to break in.  Straight out of the box they sounded really thin and disappointing - the bass was great but everthing else was very ordinary.  It only takes a couple of hours to hear a big difference.  I've got maybe 30 hours on them now and they continue to improve, but that first step is a big one.

For what it's worth, my impression is that the gap between universal DD IEMs and this custom is smaller than for equivalent BA gear.  The jump from, say, a Shure 530 to a JH13 is massive.  The only DD universal I've heard is the IE8, and it's closer to this custom than that.  It's still a big difference - and more than worth it to me, anyway - but the basic character of the two phones is closer.  It's that clarity, for me, which seems to be a basic DD quality.

Dealing with Future Sonics was a pleasure.  Totally straightforward and businesslike, less than two weeks start to finish, and the delivery went astray - not their fault - and they got right on it in real time and helped me out.  Great people.

Anyway, this one's a winner.

That's what I need to keep in mind I guess. The drivers are probably stiff and not doing their thing at full range yet. I hope the other aspects besides bass do improve hugely after the first few hours as you've observed. Thanks for your impressions....

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #322 of 1,181

Quote:
Listening now, and I'm hoping burn in brings out a lot more detail... because it's waaayyyy back there right now! I just switched to the largest open vents, mainly to help the soundstage breathe a bit better, and I think that helped out a little. But they sure are dark sounding on first impression.

Edit-

That's what I need to keep in mind I guess. The drivers are probably stiff and not doing their thing at full range yet. I hope the other aspects besides bass do improve hugely after the first few hours as you've observed. Thanks for your impressions....

Yes, the larger ports really hammer out the bass...way too much for my preferences.   I like the smallest opening vent personally.   Your ear will gradually become accustomed to the and will no longer be uncomfortable.  I can now wear mine for hours at a time and not even notice their presence.

IMO, they have a very large and expansive soundstage, but I wouldn't say that they have a huge sense of air. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #323 of 1,181

Quote:

Edit-

Well, certainly burn them in, but it's probably not that--it's almost certainly a fit issue. You'll want to play with the fit. I don't know if you ever had the mtpcs, but I guess with many iems, you can get things sitting wrong and it leads to a "speaker in a dark tunnel" sound.

For me, customs felt as though they sat quite superficially in the ear when compared to the deep insertion of many universals.

Do not push them in (no, seriously).

When I first insert (and, when I first had them, often while listening) I pull my customs partway out of ear to make sure I haven't put them in too deeply (remember, do not push)--and let them sit quite superficially to avoid air pressure. The effect, as with universals when done correctly, is that the sound opens, lightens and becomes more detailed. You might want to go back to the vents which have a small opening and spend time getting the hang of customs--it really is it's own thing. If you hear the MG6Pro as congested, then you aren't hearing the MG6Pro. You'll get it with a bit of practice.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #324 of 1,181

Quote:
Well, certainly burn them in, but it's probably not that--it's almost certainly a fit issue. You'll want to play with the fit. I don't know if you ever had the mtpcs, but I guess with many iems, you can get things sitting wrong and it leads to a "speaker in a dark tunnel" sound.

For me, customs felt as though they sat quite superficially in the ear when compared to the deep insertion of many universals.

Do not push them in (no, seriously).

When I first insert (and, when I first had them, often while listening) I pull my customs partway out of ear to make sure I haven't put them in too deeply (remember, do not push)--and let them sit quite superficially to avoid air pressure. The effect, as with universals when done correctly, is that the sound opens, lightens and becomes more detailed. You might want to go back to the vents which have a small opening and spend time getting the hang of customs--it really is it's own thing. If you hear the MG6Pro as congested, then you aren't hearing the MG6Pro. You'll get it with a bit of practice.

Will definitely let them undergo some more burn in...... 

I have definitely been trying moving them around once inserted in the ears. Pulling them back some did help a bit, but by comparison when I go back to the EX1000's it seems as though a veil has been lifted, and its significantly more transparent and open sounding. I think this is probably a good benchmark for comparisons since you own both as well. 

Will keep fiddling with vents, placement in the ears, and such.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #325 of 1,181
Aug 13, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #327 of 1,181

Quote:

Will definitely let them undergo some more burn in...... 

I have definitely been trying moving them around once inserted in the ears. Pulling them back some did help a bit, but by comparison when I go back to the EX1000's it seems as though a veil has been lifted, and its significantly more transparent and open sounding. I think this is probably a good benchmark for comparisons since you own both as well. 

Will keep fiddling with vents, placement in the ears, and such.

If you've got more than a half-dozen hours on them and they still sound like this, it's not burn-in: something else is wrong. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #329 of 1,181

Quote:
If you've got more than a half-dozen hours on them and they still sound like this, it's not burn-in: something else is wrong. 

Not quite.  The Xcape v.1 needed more than a week and a half to sort out the mids.  In fact, I loaned them out w/ a sheen over the mids.  When they came back to me the mids were, how shall we say, 'fixed'.  It could depend on the model and even the individual unit.

Past 3-4 weeks you definitely should be able to gauge them.  That gives you time to sort out your hearing and thoughts beyond considerations like burn-in.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #330 of 1,181

Quote:
Not quite.  The Xcape v.1 needed more than a week and a half to sort out the mids.  In fact, I loaned them out w/ a sheen over the mids.  When they came back to me the mids were, how shall we say, 'fixed'.  It could depend on the model and even the individual unit.

Past 3-4 weeks you definitely should be able to gauge them.  That gives you time to sort out your hearing and thoughts beyond considerations like burn-in.

To be clearer about what I meant - if  cn11's mg6pros still sound as he has described them, over his recent series of posts, when they have more that a handful of hours on them, there's something wrong.  Probably fit, as others have said, but something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back