[Review] Fostex T50RP, My Intro to the World of Orthos
Sep 7, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #46 of 68
The modded T50RP sounds much better than the K701 in every single area.

That being said, I know how you feel. I was doubtful about the T50RP's as well until I heard the Thunderpants. In the world of high fidelity I have come to learn that price is not indicative of quality nor performance. Stock the T50RP is a meh/nice headphone but modding them takes them to an entirely different level, a level perhaps on par if not above all high end headphones.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #47 of 68
I daresay it'll be far longer than you think... Better check your source again..

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #48 of 68
I sold my K701 and K501 w/ K701 pads and retained my tweaked T50RP.

Quote:
How do these compare in terms of speed and clarity to k701? I really have a hard time believing the t50rp can sound better than headphones costing 5 times as much,  if that's so, then everybody else on this forum must be crazy, or these are just way way way underrated. 

I'm seriously considering getting one of these now, fist time buying "real" headphones BTW

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #49 of 68

Quote:
I sold my K701 and K501 w/ K701 pads and retained my tweaked T50RP.

I'm thinking of selling my HD598 because of them. I only switch off of 2 headphones at a time. 3 main fullsized are too complicated for me.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #51 of 68

Quote:
^That's another reason. Full sized are too bulky to keep in the office :D

I'm actually looking to swap for a IEM.

I've got my T50RP that plays everything amazingly well
My MDR-V6 as a neutral. Everyone should have a neutral
Grado SR80i just because

Brainwavz M1 I love to death
Koss IEM horrid sound. Fun to trash with.

See my predicament?

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #54 of 68
Quote:
I've read that the t50's treble is sightly rolled off, and I'm planning on getting an Audio-GD NFB-5 later which is also said to have rolled off highs and "warm" sound, question is would you recommend the t50's out of a "warm" source or should i get a brighter source?

I'll be using onboard -> old yamaha receiver in the meantime

If your Yamaha is decent you might just want to use it and just get a DAC to bypass your onboard. Old Yamahas tend to be a little bright, which should be a good match.

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #56 of 68

Quote:
Personally the stock T50RP don't need a warm source, it would bloat the heck out of the bottom end to me, then again I like mid-cetered phones.

My receiver is slightly warm and moves them quite nicely. The Stock T50RP's are all Mids. Everything else is like on a slope

Quote:
How are they for classical BTW?

Modded my way, nice, but not HD800 nice.

I really enjoy Pianos and Jazz.

Diana Krall
Live in Paris
A Case of You

beyersmile.png

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #57 of 68

Quote:
My receiver is slightly warm and moves them quite nicely. The Stock T50RP's are all Mids. Everything else is like on a slope

Not only that, but they sound hollow and weak. They truly hide and give no hint of what they are capable of.

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #59 of 68

Quote:
Stock T50RP = "I &^%$#@! spent my &^%$#@! USD80 for this ^%$#@! sound?!?!"

biggrin.gif
That made my day. (Wednesday). Can't wait to listen to such a tizzy and hollow can!... And then mod mine! Just trying to figure out how to get a certain pair of pads.
wink.gif
I already know which pair I want...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back