[Review] Fostex T50RP, My Intro to the World of Orthos
Sep 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 68

Quote:
I really enjoyed this review keanex. Perhaps we can get a post mod update? These ortho drivers are so good its a sin to leave their cans unmodded.

I'm considering modding them, but for now they're going to stay stock because they compliment my Ad900 as a more analytical pair. If I do mod them I will definitely update the post!

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #17 of 68
Sep 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #18 of 68

Quote:
Anyone interested in these headphones should definitely check out this modding thread: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow

There is near universal agreement that some relatively simple mods make these headphones much better; many prefer them to headphones costing many times more. 

I modded mine with relatively inexpensive materials.

The result is that they measure rather flat, extend down to 13Hz and some members here preferred my modded T50RP's ($75 headphones!) to the LCD-2.1 or LCD-2.2!

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #20 of 68

Quote:
I modded mine with relatively inexpensive materials.

The result is that they measure rather flat, extend down to 13Hz and some members here preferred my modded T50RP's ($75 headphones!) to the LCD-2.1 or LCD-2.2!

It's what I've been saying

Downside:

Comfort is up to you
Sound cannot go over the LCD-2, only meet it. Unlike a LCD-2 that can be amped with a high dollar system to be brought to higher heights
Clarity is always going to be a bar lower
Ortho sometimes turns people off. No idea why, but some people can't stand the sound.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #21 of 68

Quote:
It's what I've been saying

Downside:

Comfort is up to you
Sound cannot go over the LCD-2, only meet it. Unlike a LCD-2 that can be amped with a high dollar system to be brought to higher heights
Clarity is always going to be a bar lower
Ortho sometimes turns people off. No idea why, but some people can't stand the sound.

Comfort is up to you.

As for the sound quality....measurements are one thing but sound preference is very subjective. Most of the people who have heard my modded T50RP feel it has better sound than the LCD-2. By most, I mean about 12 out of 16 people. 3 felt it could be an equal contender to other high end orthos. One preferred his LCD-2 over my T50RP. I'd also argue about the clarity since that can also be subjective.

I can't wait until there is a local meet so that more people can listen to these Fostex 'phones.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #23 of 68
Sep 5, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #24 of 68

Quote:
Comfort is up to you.

As for the sound quality....measurements are one thing but sound preference is very subjective. Most of the people who have heard my modded T50RP feel it has better sound than the LCD-2. By most, I mean about 12 out of 16 people. 3 felt it could be an equal contender to other high end orthos. One preferred his LCD-2 over my T50RP. I'd also argue about the clarity since that can also be subjective.

I can't wait until there is a local meet so that more people can listen to these Fostex 'phones.

Maybe we can just form a meet up for Fostex T50/T50RP testing
biggrin.gif

I feel that my T50RP meet the LCD-2. Just meet. But the LCD-2 with Red Wine Audio hops above the T50RP

But that's amazing for $75 + $0.58 for express shipping.

I'm actually wearing them at the moment and can't really can't ask for more. Perfect bass, mids highs, soundstage, clarity, speed. Man, switching off my HD598 to these feels like a kick in the crotch. just "night and day".

For comparison (with popular cans):

Shure 940 - T50RP sound like a huge step up with more bass and speed of the driver.
HD598 - I compare to the 940 as a funner side. So more analytical and everything heightened for the T50RP.
MDR-V6 - not as neutral, but leagues over quality.
HD650 - T50RP has more speed and better bass impact. Same soundstage and clarity.
HD600 - T50RP has more speed and better detail. The bass is also better controlled

Of course this is all on the mods I put on my own. Check my signature the "modded" next to the T50RP review for my current mods and detailed pictures.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #25 of 68
I've heard (and measured) LFF's pair. It's hard to compare to the LCD2 since that would be like comparing closed to open phones. Overall I liked the LFF's pair better than the r1 (I am not as familiar with the r2 so won't comment on that)

LFF-T50:
  • Sounded faster than LCD2
  • Much better bass, way more impact, hits harder with just as linear bass response (from my measurements)
  • Very linear FR, no suck-out from the midrange to the treble region, while still sounding natural. This is where it kills the LCD2.
  • Little evident ringing throughout from the midrange all the way up to the limits of my hearing.

LCD2:
  • Clearer and cleaning sounding than LFF-T50, particularly in the midrange.

Both are a little bit hot around 10kHz.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #26 of 68

Quote:
Maybe we can just form a meet up for Fostex T50/T50RP testing
biggrin.gif

I feel that my T50RP meet the LCD-2. Just meet. But the LCD-2 with Red Wine Audio hops above the T50RP

But that's amazing for $75 + $0.58 for express shipping.

I'm actually wearing them at the moment and can't really can't ask for more. Perfect bass, mids highs, soundstage, clarity, speed. Man, switching off my HD598 to these feels like a kick in the crotch. just "night and day".

For comparison (with popular cans):

Shure 940 - T50RP sound like a huge step up with more bass and speed of the driver.
HD598 - I compare to the 940 as a funner side. So more analytical and everything heightened for the T50RP.
MDR-V6 - not as neutral, but leagues over quality.
HD650 - T50RP has more speed and better bass impact. Same soundstage and clarity.
HD600 - T50RP has more speed and better detail. The bass is also better controlled

Of course this is all on the mods I put on my own. Check my signature the "modded" next to the T50RP review for my current mods and detailed pictures.

A T50RP listening meet sure sounds like fun!

Even before I got feedback and my T50RP's measured, I felt they were and are the best headphones I own and among the best I have ever heard. My biggest fear was that they would measure horribly and that my ears were fooling me but thankfully, they didn't at all.

I have played countless personal demo tracks on them and they leave me wanting nothing. Great bass, perfect mids, nice highs, fantastic isolation (both inside and out), very comfortable, incredibly fast, great clarity and detail, soundstage is perfect...all for under $80.00 USD...what more can you ask for?

I agree with you in that switching to any other headphone now is just a kick in the pants.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #28 of 68

Quote:
Even before I got feedback and my T50RP's measured, I felt they were and are the best headphones I own and among the best I have ever heard. My biggest fear was that they would measure horribly and that my ears were fooling me but thankfully, they didn't at all.

LOL. I should have thrown you a f'up graph (like this one) at first just to freak you out.

Just in case anyone is interested, here are the CSD results.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #29 of 68

Quote:

LOL. I should have thrown you a f'up graph (like this one) at first just to freak you out.

Just in case anyone is interested, here are the CSD results.

Since my JOB relies on my ears...you would have broken my heart......
frown.gif

I'm sure you would have had a good laugh though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back