[Review] Fostex T50RP, My Intro to the World of Orthos
Sep 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #31 of 68

Quote:
You should consider shipping them off the Tyll too, he's doing a write up on the T50rp and modding. I know he has a couple modded pairs already, but I bet yours would show them up.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I might ship them off to Tyll once he gets back into his office around mid-September.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #32 of 68
Does anybody have these in stock?  Would love to try a pair, but it seems everybody is out of them!

They seem to go in and out of stock every few months. Perhaps Fostex sends small shipments. Some say it's a popular studio can so it's not just us modders who are taking them off the shelves. The T40RP is in stock in a few places. Its the same as the T50RP, but has plastic glued over the vent instead of foam. The plastic can be removed by pushing a paperclip thru the vents. Same drivers as the T50RP.
Maybe we can just form a meet up for Fostex T50/T50RP testing
biggrin.gif

That would be fun! These are so cheap that I'm considering getting a second pair and modding the drivers into open-modded RX900's like 4nradio did.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #33 of 68

Quote:
That would be fun! These are so cheap that I'm considering getting a second pair and modding the drivers into RX900's like 4nradio did.

A pair of drivers into a fully open can would be amazing. I would question the entire isolation of the driver.

Only major problem with the T50RP is that you need a TOTAL seal to hear the driver well. Any gaps or opening kill off everything.

They aren't like K1000 drivers at all.

transplant into a Open can like a Open Senn or maybe even a Grado cup (if that would work, experiment....) would be nice

IDEA: Into a can that has a great body. Like a Dj100.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #34 of 68
After talking with LFF we're going to figure out costs and he's going to graciously mod them for me. I plan to listen to them for a while and will be doing a loaner program shortly after. I'll have full details of the loaner program once I receive and review them. LFF is standing behind the LFF T50RP and I'm very excited to get a hold of my own and share my thoughts with the world!

As for now, I'm very much enjoying these stock still.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #36 of 68

Quote:
@LFF: what are the mods you have done with the T50RP? Do you make wood cups?

My mods are different but this thread and the Thunderpants thread gave me the initial push and figuring out the rest was just a matter of experience and my weird logic. My modded T50RP's look relatively stock. I did NOT make wood cups.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #37 of 68
Sep 6, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #38 of 68
So, the gist of the updated T50RP CSD curves is that:
  1. The T50RP sound pretty darn good unmodded
  2. The net effect of the LFF mod is to improve the apparent speed across the spectrum, including above 2.5K
  3. We should be waiting with baited breath to read LFF's step-by-step guide. 
    smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #42 of 68

Quote:
I actually like the little knit sock covering his wife did, it looks classy in a way not many could pull off!

That's one of the many reasons I love my wife!

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #43 of 68
How do these compare in terms of speed and clarity to k701? I really have a hard time believing the t50rp can sound better than headphones costing 5 times as much,  if that's so, then everybody else on this forum must be crazy, or these are just way way way underrated. 

I'm seriously considering getting one of these now, fist time buying "real" headphones BTW

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #44 of 68

Quote:
How do these compare in terms of speed and clarity to k701? I really have a hard time believing the t50rp can sound better than headphones costing 5 times as much,  if that's so, then everybody else on this forum must be crazy, or these are just way way way underrated. 

I'm seriously considering getting one of these now, fist time buying "real" headphones BTW

LOL

Speed? Like taking five hits and chasing after a dragster. Let that sit in for a second.

Clarity could use some work. Bust the soundstage vaires with pads and speed is one of the main reasons why the T50RP is amazing.

They Aren't HiFI if you're wondering. Modding them to my extent makes them sound like HiFi cans, but they aren't true HiFi.

And they won't replace your K701. Would be a nice compliment to them (my mod version)

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #45 of 68

Quote:

The modded T50RP sounds much better than the K701 in every single area.

That being said, I know how you feel. I was doubtful about the T50RP's as well until I heard the Thunderpants. In the world of high fidelity I have come to learn that price is not indicative of quality nor performance. Stock the T50RP is a meh/nice headphone but modding them takes them to an entirely different level, a level perhaps on par if not above all high end headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back