Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Mar 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #3,916 of 4,469
Don't overlook the Sony hybrid tips, either.. they fit quite snug too.. and their nozzle opening is as wide as the DBA's nozzle.. so you're less likely to hear the mids/highs get attenuated.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #3,921 of 4,469
@ biscut.

Congrats. You just got yourself one great IEM.

Cheers.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #3,922 of 4,469
Mine have been at SAINT PETERSBURG PI-7 since the 10th March. They will take longer to get here than my S:flo2 or my Headstage Arrow.

Nothing happens quickly in this hobby....except HiFiMAN who are very quick.

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #3,923 of 4,469
Forgive me if I've missed this, but how do the DBA-2s stand up to symphonic music? The comments here indicate that they're fantastic at solo and small ensemble pieces, but Mahler? Beethoven's 9th?

These are precisely at the price point I was looking for, so I'm very, very tempted.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #3,924 of 4,469
Hi I'm new here. Recently got myself a pair of Fischers :) very pleased with them.

With regard to symphonic pieces, I haven't heard many but I must say strings (cello in particular) sound amazing in these.

Have listened to Beethoven's 7th and Mozart's oboe concerto in C. What I can hear immediately is the immaculate sound reproduction, with all that amazing detail. On the second piece I can clearly hear the oboist's fingering, and his breathlessness after a long passage. Another thing I appreciated was the speed of the sounds; really fast and again makes strings very enjoyable (nr. 7's vivace). Bass detail is very good though sometimes you hope the bass timpani (nr. 7's 4th movement) would linger on longer.

Edit: just heard nr. 9's first two movements. Separation is good so is soundstage (though not as wide as on nr. 7, quality of recording maybe?) so the different sections are pretty discernible from one another. Start of the second movement where the fugueish staccato theme appeared it was really enjoyable. Staccatos (abundant in mvt 2) are generally sharp and sound great.

Louis

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #3,925 of 4,469

Quote:
Edit: just heard nr. 9's first two movements. Separation is good so is soundstage (though not as wide as on nr. 7, quality of recording maybe?) so the different sections are pretty discernible from one another. Start of the second movement where the fugueish staccato theme appeared it was really enjoyable. Staccatos (abundant in mvt 2) are generally sharp and sound great.

Louis

Thank you for your comments.  Keep listening and let me know when you get to the 4th movement.  As you know, there are quiet passages with delicate sounds, powerful cello and bass-driven sections, and booming passages with the voice soloists backed by the whole chorus and orchestra. I expect nothing less than to be "moved." My reference is my pair of HD 448 closed headphones, which do an ok job and are certainly better than anything I've listened to before, but know that I should be able to get better detail and sound stage.  My other reference is seeing it live and being able to track the four soloists as they weave their voices together and climb higher and higher, all with orchestral backing. I'll buy the IEMs that can handle the 4th movement--every part of it--best.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #3,926 of 4,469
So I've had the DBA-02s for a little over a week, and yes, they're amazing! I don't really need to rehash the merits of these IEMs as that would be preaching to the choir, but I am definitely very satisfied with them. If I could say, the one thing I believe they lack is ultra low sub-bass presence (from the low-end roll-off, I presume), but I understand the trade-offs and so I'm being nitpicky here; the bass really is plenty strong and suitable for most purposes when properly outputted.

There's something strange though; has anyone had issues with isolation? It's not a fitment issue, as they fit great and I hear all frequencies equally, but they also seem to let in all frequencies equally, instead of attenuating low or high frequencies more, like what I hear with most IEMs. It could be that I elect not to use amplification when on the go, and the 43 ohm impedance is far greater than the miniscule 12 ohm of my old portable IEM the Philips SHE9850, but I've been comparing isolation without any music on, and I definitely hear a larger range of ambient frequencies through the DBA-02, even with the same eartips as the SHE9850. I've cycled through all the included tips, as well as the Comply T-100 and Klipsch large gels, and they seem to all have the same 'issue'.

I guess it's not that big a deal, but I just wanted to raise it up.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #3,927 of 4,469
The housing does let a bit of noise in but w/ the Klipsch gels and deep insertion they are only shy of the Ety isolation I got by about 1-2 dB if I had to guess.  I frequently use them at Rock concerts for attenuation.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #3,928 of 4,469
With the Comply P-Series (longer than the T), I have incredibly good isolation. No IEM will completly isolate you, only attenuate the outside sounds (but I'm sure you know that). I actually only use the T-series when I WANT outside noise to filter in (like running outside).

@ DCofficehack.
I have a few different recordings of the Beethoven 9th. My fave (and my go-to version) is the Solti 1972 London/Decca - Krannert Center recording. I have a MoFi 1/2 Speed master recording and its sonics are amazing. The 4th movement will knock you out of your chair with the right speakers. With headphones, my D7000 are untouchable for this, but for IEM's, the DBA are no slouch. I get better low-end extension with my UM2's, but they don't have the clarity and brilliance of the DBA. The DBA has the speed and resolution, along with the clarity and soundstage presence to render even the more complex passages with aplomb. The DBA do all my music very well.

Your recording(s), rig and other factors will also influence your opinion of the DBA, so obviously... YMMV.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #3,929 of 4,469

Quote:
With the Comply P-Series (longer than the T), I have incredibly good isolation. No IEM will completly isolate you, only attenuate the outside sounds (but I'm sure you know that). I actually only use the T-series when I WANT outside noise to filter in (like running outside).

@ DCofficehack.
I have a few different recordings of the Beethoven 9th. My fave (and my go-to version) is the Solti 1972 London/Decca - Krannert Center recording. I have a MoFi 1/2 Speed master recording and its sonics are amazing. The 4th movement will knock you out of your chair with the right speakers. With headphones, my D7000 are untouchable for this, but for IEM's, the DBA are no slouch. I get better low-end extension with my UM2's, but they don't have the clarity and brilliance of the DBA. The DBA has the speed and resolution, along with the clarity and soundstage presence to render even the more complex passages with aplomb. The DBA do all my music very well.

Your recording(s), rig and other factors will also influence your opinion of the DBA, so obviously... YMMV.

I've been listening to Karajan from 1963.  Can you recommend any of the more modern recordings? Also, have you any experience listening to Beethoven Late String Quartets with the DBA? That's as good a test of a listening device as any...

I will NOT be using an AMP but instead running the phones out of a Macbook Pro and eventually an iPhone, when I get around to buying one in the next few weeks. How does the DBA work without an amp?

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #3,930 of 4,469
I run mine out of my Clip+ and they do sound quite good without any sort of amping. They do sound better out of my Headsix portable amp, the lows have more impact and every other aspect sounds a little better.

I havent used mine with my Iphone so i cannot comment in that area sorry. Im sure some people can chime in though.

Quote:
I've been listening to Karajan from 1963.  Can you recommend any of the more modern recordings? Also, have you any experience listening to Beethoven Late String Quartets with the DBA? That's as good a test of a listening device as any...

I will NOT be using an AMP but instead running the phones out of a Macbook Pro and eventually an iPhone, when I get around to buying one in the next few weeks. How does the DBA work without an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back